how To increase shuttle life??

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by DaN_fAn, Feb 23, 2005.

1. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Does dipping the shuttle in water overnight and then using it for a game increase it's life.is there any other way to increase the shuttle's life so that it lasts longer.
    U know i have recently just tried this little test.on most ooccasions we use a realtively old shuttle to warm up and then a new one for the game.instead i tried warming up with a new shuttle[just gentle tosses and drops for a minute or 2 without smashes]and till now the shuttles have lasted way longer than before[this worked well for all the types of shuttles i tried including yonex aerosena] .i believe this tossing actually warms up the shuttle,so it lasts longer.instead if one uses a new shuttle straight away and starts smashing from the very first point it is bound to get broken soon.
    how come nobody i know has ever emphasised on this.

2. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

just try to hit the birdie on the cork instead of the feathers and it should last longer :-D

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I don't see any theory behind this. I mean, the shuttle is a "dead thing", the more u use it, the more it will be damaged.

For your case, I would say it's more like the players get properly warmed up (using a good shuttle to warm up, easier to know the flight path, timing, etc). :rolleyes:

4. klc28

klc28 Regular Member

Oh man! You beat me to it!! :p

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You might want to try steaming them.

6. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

"just try to hit the birdie on the cork instead of the feathers and it should last longer "
    [quoted by PANDEE720][ AND ALMOST BY KLC28]
    oh............oh.... thanks i didn't know that!!!!!

[hello!!!!! i am no beginner]

7. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

DanFan,

I can assure you that there was no hostility in their statements. I am sure its the most impulsive thing most people would have said.

Steaming, Keeping the birds in the fridge are slightly better than directly diping them in water. seasoning the birds by tossing them for some reason psychologically seems to extend the life.

Btw, which part of india are you from and do you play for the city, districts or the state team?

8. speedy

speedy Regular Member

I was about to ask a question about keeping the birds in the fridge. A good thing you brought it up. Do we close the lid or open it. And how long is the proper preparation.

9. speedy

speedy Regular Member

Just made a search and found that it's a big NO of keeping the birds in the fridge.

10. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    From my own experiences, steaming or dipping is the best method. I t guess i can get what you're getting at by 'warming up the birds', but I don't think it is true that birds last longer if you warm them up.. they're not made out of live muscle tissue or anyhting, and there are no articulated parts. Hitting them doesn't make them significantly warmer.

Personally, I think your observations are probably a psychological thing on the part of you and your opponents... maybe by warming up gently with the birds, you all get into the habit of hitting better shots (rather than a violent warmup where you just getting into the habit of smacking things silly).

As to the fridge, I think that's a tad unadvsiable. Sure, suggestions are to keep shuttles cool... but a fridge, if it's too cold, can also dehydrate your shuttles. I doubt you mean a freezer, but if a freezer can take give food freezerburn and totally suck all the water out of an inch thick slab of meat that's packaged, you can imagine what an overcold process leads in terms of thin shuttle feathers.

It's actually not 'wrong' to keep shuttles in a warmer place, assuming by warmer it also means more humid. Personally, I tend to leave my shuttles in the bathroom, hooked on the shower curtain the day before I play and by the time everyone's taken their showers at night, they're steamed and ready to go.

Just keep in mind that on the flipside, overhydrating is not good for shuttles either... by 'dipping shuttles overnight', you should be dipping them for a few seconds each in warm water, not letting them soak all night. (Keep the corks out of the water, only feathers go in). Shuttles that have been overhydrated fly like rocks, especially if you soak the corks too.

It goes without saying that it could also be a question of bird quality too... duck feather birds tend to be less durable than goose feathers, though the prices are proportional.

11. Aotis

Aotis Regular Member

Student
  12. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    As cork is basically loose wood, wouldn't it become defective if u leave it in the fridge or dip it in water? In water, it would absorb and expand (even if it was dried out, it wouldn't be the same) and if you keep it in the fridge, the cork may shrivel a tad (but it will expand when warmed). Therefore, I believe that storing the birds in their cans at room temperature is the most ideal method. One techinique i use is straightening the feather/plastic after every rally.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    One practical way as you mentioned is to straighten the feathers (with care)after each rally. Do not damage the feathers in the process with too much pressure on the feathers and their stems which may unintentionally weaken (loosen ) the structure (the stem joints to the cork) and change the shape of the bird.

Try not to 'abuse' the bird by handling it roughly with your fingers and racket during a game. It is quite common for many players to pick up a 'dead' shuttle by just scooping it up with their rackets or simply using the racket to flick the bird from the floor to their opponents' side without due concern for the feathers. Either the racket accidently hits the feathers quite hard or the feathers are brushed harshly against the racket and the floor before reaching their opponents. Don't use your feet to kick the bird back.

Treat the bird well and it will return the compliments. :D

14. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Totally agree :)

I really don't like to play with people who either:
    1. Hit the feather due to the poor technics of picking-up-shuttles.
    2. Try to pick up the shuttle by "pressing" it to the ground and "drag" it over.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Damn... and here I thought only kids do that with plastic shuttles:rolleyes:.

16. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I do keep my shuttles in the shower room and this seems to be a very good method. The result is not significant but noticeable. Also don’t over steam your shuttles and let it cool down (dry) a little bit before playing.

17. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I am sorry about the fridge. When i mean keep them in the fridge, i actually meant not store them but just keep them about 1/2an hour to1 hour before game time. NEver store the birds in the fridge. We used to put them in a drinks fridge that was available for players. Back then when i was playing ,we dont have vending machines and drinks come in glass bottles stored in a small fridge in an adjoining room.

We just used to pop the birds in them for a while and use them. As you guys pointed out, it depends mostly on the birds as to the best form adopted...

18. esiong

esiong Regular Member

19. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Perhaps I misunderstood the past posts. I thought you guys said leave them in water overnight or such. Keeping the feathers moist would seem logical but one should completely dry it before usage as the extra moisture can distort the flight pattern of the bird. However, I see no significant use of putting plastic birds in showerrooms.

20. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Sorry i didn't specify, the showerroom thing is for feather birds only. Note that it's also the "lazy guy's method", since steaming like that will slightly affect the cork too (which you don't generally want, unless your birds are too light).

As far as I know, there isn't really any maintenance procedure for nylons, beyond the care that you'd attribute for the corks.