User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is interesting to observe that, despite all the health problems, smoking has not gone away. For every smoker long gone, prematurely, I might add, there appears from nowhere a new smoker to take his or her place. I wonder why? But if the smoker is being warned that smoking takes away a male smoker's manhood, and robs a woman of her beauty and complexion, then perhaps they will do something to quit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    It is interesting to observe that, despite all the health problems, smoking has not gone away. For every smoker long gone, prematurely, I might add, there appears from nowhere a new smoker to take his or her place. I wonder why? But if the smoker is being warned that smoking takes away a male smoker's manhood, and robs a woman of her beauty and complexion, then perhaps they will do something to quit.
    those have been done already, including pics and commercial showing diseased lungs and cancer organs.
    problem is, nicotine is more addictive than hard drugs(cocaine, angel dust, etc.) AND IT'S LEGAL. If that's not enough, it had been shown in court that cigarette makers add in other addictive ingredients to make cigs even more addictive than just nicotine.

tobacco makers are moving investment $$$ to china, india and africa where people are less educated about health and well being.
    Last edited by cooler; 03-01-2005 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dying for a cigarette?

from a new zealand study
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2love2live
    it amazes / confuses me smoking can be this resented around the globe.
    Can I know the reasons you hate smoking?
    why do we bother working towards a healthy lifestyle: so we won't contract diseases, or more correctly - reduce chances of developing them, and endure unnecessary pain (emotional and physical); and hopefully live to a ripe old age looking good. as it stands, there are so many disorders an individual can go down with, without the cigarrete smoke adding more to the count.

2love2live, it amazes & confuses me that you should need to query our reasons for not putting up with smokers.

Quote Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck
    It's not about competition to quit smoking.
    never said it was.

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    I ask myself that everyday (ever since i started col.). it irritates me more that our current generation despite the education choose to become smoking chimneys.
    Last edited by Anatolii; 03-02-2005 at 12:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    7. I'm jealous of them for taking extra sick days off work. While at work, they take freeby breaks like 15 minutes each time, at least 4 times a day. That's ~260 hrs/yr of wage for doing no work.
    the bright side (i love bright sides) is, they get to fall sick. that should be good consolation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anatolii
    the bright side (i love bright sides) is, they get to fall sick. that should be good consolation.
    yes, that's why the government won't remove cigarette sale, it save future payout on pension while able to demand more income tax now in the name of health care. Gov't love the excise tax on cigs too.

I think we harp 2lov2liv enough Lets get back to badminton
    Last edited by cooler; 03-02-2005 at 01:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys those were some amazing posts and thanks very much! you guys have all been very kind and helpful !

I didn't mean to turn my intro into a smoking chimney haha, but thanks again for those educative posts.

I guess when you are young and less educated, you are subject to temptations, smoking being one of them, drinking another one, you start with questions in your mind, yeah i know smoking kills but how come there are so many smoking chimneys out there die in their very old ages and appear to be healthy?, you know what i mean, people are taking chances, the problem is for example, everybody knows AIDS kills but prostitution is still everywhere.

How I wish that one day cigarette is as fatal as a bullet, one shot and you are dead, maybe that will be the ultimate solution to this global problem? but again - bullets and guns are destructive but people play with them, and can i say enjoy their company? you see how confused I am

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

everybody knows AIDS kills but prostitution is still everywhere.
    prostitution isn't what's increasing the no. of AIDS sufferers!!??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It appears that 'unprotected' *** is causing much of the damage, especially with aids carriers, whether male or female. The latest report seems to suggest that China will soon be the worst hit country (simply because of her huge population size), unless something is done to educate the masses (esp those illiterate).

If *** workers are carriers and no precaution is taken, then they too will contribute to the problem as they are easily accessible to the public. In this case the more workers there are, the multiplier effect is greater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are you sure? I bet it will soon be if not is already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default how coincidence

China's smoking problems will take years to rectify

Wed Mar 2,10:53 PM ET

BEIJING, (AFP) - China faces a huge challenge in its battle against smoking, and the problem will take years to rectify even if Beijing ratifies an international treaty aimed at cutting tobacco-related deaths, analysts say.

China is home to one in three of the world's smokers and is the world's largest producer of tobacco. The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates there are 350 million smokers in China, or some 36 percent of its population.

Awareness about the health impact of inhaling the deadly weed among is extremely low, with an estimated 60 to 70 percent of all adult men smokers.

Although the habit is banned in public places in some cities, it is rarely enforced and with cigarettes costing as little as 25 US cents a pack, there is little incentive for people to give up.

Walk into any local restaurant in Beijing, and one is likely to be shrouded in a thick fog of cigarette smoke. In some clinics, even the doctors themselves light up while seeing their patients.

Smoking is socially accepted and most people do not see it as an issue that should receive high priority attention, analysts said.

"People are aware about AIDS (news - web sites) and others diseases but few think of smoking as a problem," said Yang Gonghuan, professor at Peking Union Medical College and director of the China Branch of the Global Institute of Tobacco Control.

"Some think that a few posters will do and many officials involved in pushing the anti-tobacco drive are not adequately qualified," she said.

The first ever Framework Convention on Tobacco Control came into force last Sunday, ratified by 57 countries who agreed to international restrictions on tobacco producers and smokers,

While China signed the treaty in 2003, it has yet to ratify it.

The WHO regards tobacco as the only legal product that eventually kills half its regular users, fuelling the second leading cause of death in the world.

Yang said although China is expected to ratify the treaty this year, it continues to face an uphill battle.

A cross-disciplinary government body was expected to be set up to push the anti-tobacco drive and government ministries such as finance and education will also dedicate resources to strengthen the efforts, she added.

But citing studies from other countries, she said a noticable slowdown in the number of smokers was likely to take five to 10 years.

"Between the ratification and the decrease in the number of smokers, there is a lot of work to be done," she said.

More than one million people a year die in China from tobacco-related diseases, including lung cancer and heart disease.

By 2020 that figure could rise to more than two million, half of whom will die prematurely, aged between 35 to 69, said Yang.

The WHO estimates the number of deaths will reach three million by 2050, putting an even greater burden on China's crumbling health service.

But economic interests are a barrier as China's 350 million smokers represent a huge market and tobacco revenues are substantial.

"Here (in China) the problem is perhaps made worse by the fact that the tobacco industry is a national monopoly, and therefore the government has a vested interest in the tobacco industry," Burke Fishburn, regional coordinator for the WHO's Tobacco Free Initiative, told AFP recently.

Some provinces, such as Yunnan, rely on the majority of their government revenue from tobacco profit and local officials are ignorant about the long-term health impact and the cost of treating smoke-related illnesses.

This means that persuading people to kick the habit or preventing them from starting will be a drawn-out process, one that could take decades before the real risks of smoking are widely understood, experts say.

Already tobacco-related illnesses cost the government 6.5 billion dollars annually, according to the WHO.

"They are already seeing tremendous health care costs but they won't feel the full impact for another 10 to 20 years," said Fishburn.

Yang said up to one-quarter of government tax revenue from tobacco sales is used to treat these illnesses.

The new treaty advocates bans on advertising and sponsorship, as well as sales to minors. It also includes public smoking restrictions and larger health warnings on cigarette packs and promotes taxation as a way to cut consumption and fight smuggling.

Treaty parties must pass the measures into national law within three to five years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    China's smoking problems will take years to rectify
    well if we are talking about problems we have in China, I guess there are a lot more other problems to consider, I mean a lot lot lot more. the problem is not that we are not able to realize the problems, but that nobody seems to have a clue how to solve them, or even how to prioritize on them.

poverty - among all others - can you say it's not one of the biggest problems and not sitting high in the priority list? but in the process of rectification, past 10 to 15 years saw a lot of other problems much severer generated as by-products of this process.

You see where I am getting at, I am an auditor - hehe - I know for sure that picking bones is always much much essier than giving solutions.

I am not a genius so what I can do now ? I can only quit smoking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well if we are talking about problems we have in China, I guess there are a lot more other problems to consider, I mean a lot lot lot more. the problem is not that we are not able to realize the problems, but that nobody seems to have a clue how to solve them, or even how to prioritize on them.

poverty - among all others - can you say it's not one of the biggest problems and not sitting high in the priority list? but in the process of rectification, past 10 to 15 years saw a lot of other problems much severer generated as by-products of this process.

You see where I am getting at, I am an auditor - hehe - I know for sure that picking bones is always much much essier than giving solutions.

I am not a genius so what I can do now ? I can only quit smoking
    yes, u did the right thing.
    everybody has their growing pain, so is a country.
    as any 3rd world country progresses, education level should improve, so would the problem of smoking. It's a natural process, the weak (in this case, mentally) ones statistically would have shorter life span.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default That's why I love this forum

This kind of discussion is verry impressive. It is an educational and a friendship reminder. As a 34-years old agricultural marketer and a 8-months novice badminton player, this forum builds up my cultural knowledge as I involved passively or actively in several discussions/topics; and of course building my knowledge on badminton as well ..... That's why I love this forum as well as I love badminton courts.

Nice to meet you all. This is also my introduction page ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by By You
    This kind of discussion is verry impressive. It is an educational and a friendship reminder. As a 34-years old agricultural marketer and a 8-months novice badminton player, this forum builds up my cultural knowledge as I involved passively or actively in several discussions/topics; and of course building my knowledge on badminton as well ..... That's why I love this forum as well as I love badminton courts.

Nice to meet you all. This is also my introduction page ......
    hello By You i agree with you. and the best part i like about everthing here, is the willingness to share info, findings, advices, etc.. and with people we're not exactly familiar with too!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello By You i agree with you. and the best part i like about everthing here, is the willingness to share info, findings, advices, etc.. and with people we're not exactly familiar with too!
    A warm welcome to you, By You, a fellow ASEAN citizen! Hope to hear more from you.

Anatolii, I thought you've given up on us since we've not heard from you for quite a while. I think it must be exams that have kept you away for so long!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default It doesn't take too long to proof

Yeah.... it really doesn't take time too long to proof that this community is warm. Your posts have proof it ...

The first time I played badminton is about in June 2004. My staff persuade me to join with this sport about two years ago (poor me why not to joint baddy early ..... ). I play baddy about 2-5X per weeks depend on my schedule. Fortunately, my kids and wife are also interested in baddy as well. Another good point here in my city, I can play with ex national baddy player. They also be my coach.

However, .... I am sure that there is never too late to learn.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast