User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Park/Kim for MD

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Park/Kim for MD

    Hi, all,

    I recently watched the Thomas 96 MD game between
    Jubong Park/Doonmoon Kim and Antonius/Kantono. I was
    very impressed by Park/Kim's performance! I think the
    Korean team should definitely try to put Park/Kim as
    their first MD and let them play Ricky/Rexy.

    I am eager to know more about this pair. Was it a scratch
    pair then? Did Park/Kim attend any opens? Did they go to
    the Atlantic Olympics?

    Thanks guys!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Rexy and Ricky are long since retired

    Kim Dong Moon now plays with Ha in levels (I think) He did win the gold in the Olympics did he not?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    1,644
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I watched that match too (got the DVD from Han). It was the 2nd MD. The game was not even close, and obviously Park/Kim is 1 level higher than Antonius/Kantono. Ricky/Rexy were playing 1nd MD. Too bad, they didn't play each other. A lot of people said Ricky/Rexy could be the best ever. If Park and Kim could team up longer, I think they are even better. Too bad the 2 great double players have an huge age gap. Later I watched another AE MD final between Ricky/Rexy and Antonious/Kantono and the game was very close.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qidong
    I watched that match too (got the DVD from Han). It was the 2nd MD. The game was not even close, and obviously Park/Kim is 1 level higher than Antonius/Kantono. Ricky/Rexy were playing 1nd MD. Too bad, they didn't play each other. A lot of people said Ricky/Rexy could be the best ever. If Park and Kim could team up longer, I think they are even better. Too bad the 2 great double players have an huge age gap. Later I watched another AE MD final between Ricky/Rexy and Antonious/Kantono and the game was very close.
    Although it is dangerous to compare transitively (i.e., A>B, B>C then A>C),
    I tend to believe that Park/Kim would be even better than Ricky/Rexy. Young
    Kim in 96 is powerful, accurate, ruthless and already has the insight and
    ability to control the game; while the very experienced Park is even more
    accurate and ruthless in controlling the net area, not mentioning his ability
    of returning hard smashes which would be disasters for others. In the Thomas game, Park reads the Indo's smashes so well that it seems he
    can return them to wherever he likes.

    Anyway, I would say that Park/Kim answers the question like "what would
    it be like if there are two Kim Doonmoons", since seems to me Kim is a
    modernized version of Park: faster, more powerful, although may not be
    as good in some subtle techniques.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    1,644
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I watched the Olympic 1996 XD final between Park/Ra and Kim/Gih. Before the commentator said it's the mentor against the student. After the match, the commentator also said the student beated the mentor. I wonder if Park's really Kim's mentor.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    US
    Posts
    2,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qidong
    I watched the Olympic 1996 XD final between Park/Ra and Kim/Gih. Before the commentator said it's the mentor against the student. After the match, the commentator also said the student beated the mentor. I wonder if Park's really Kim's mentor.
    Where did you get the game? Is it in Han's collection?
    And btw, is the game good?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Taiwan
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Do they get along well with each other?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Been a fan of Park/Kim in MD for the longest time. I think Kim is the stronger server than Park. IMHO, his serve action has a lot of disguise and probably still the best today. Most people forget that the serve is the most important shot in the game... From what I have seen of them together in finals play, it seems to me that Kim generally holds the game together with encouragements and so forth when the chips are down.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    DKF
    Posts
    1,437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Been a fan of Park/Kim in MD for the longest time. I think Kim is the stronger server than Park. IMHO, his serve action has a lot of disguise and probably still the best today. Most people forget that the serve is the most important shot in the game... From what I have seen of them together in finals play, it seems to me that Kim generally holds the game together with encouragements and so forth when the chips are down.
    The Kim you are mentioning is Kim, MoonSoo.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You're correct Narnia. I got side tracked thinking Kim in the initial thread was Kim Moon Soo.. Park's regular partner in MD. That pair is truly a legend...

Similar Threads

  1. Park Joo Bong
    By reaper in forum Korea Professional Players
    Replies: 56
    : 03-19-2014, 01:08 PM
  2. Badminton CLubs near Kendall Park or Frranklin Park
    By mukulsapre in forum USA East
    Replies: 3
    : 01-20-2014, 02:54 PM
  3. Menlo Park: Badminton may bloom in industrial park
    By kwun in forum Golden Gate Badminton Club ( GGBC )
    Replies: 10
    : 12-21-2004, 11:27 PM
  4. Park Joo Bong
    By Cheung in forum General Forum
    Replies: 21
    : 12-02-2002, 04:48 AM
  5. park, see what you've done!!
    By kwun in forum General Forum
    Replies: 3
    : 03-17-2000, 11:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •