backhand low serve in _singles_

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by frankrei, Feb 26, 2005.

1. frankrei

frankrei Regular Member

Computer Consultant
    Hi,

I have been absent from the badminton scene for around a dozen years and have only recently started playing again.

I remember that as a teenager my coach practically had a heartattack when I used a low, sliced backhand serve in my singles matches. His points were:

* difficult to do a nice long baseline high serve
    * loss of initiative because the opponent can attack straight away

Eventually I stopped doing it and opted for the more traditional high forehand serve to the middle.

Now having recently watched some international single's players I have noticed that many if not most single's players use "my" sliced backhand serve today.

I was wondering whether anybody could enlighten me as to tactical use of such as a serve, whether you would recommend using it exclusively or mixing it up with forehand serves, technical considerations (e.g. how is it different from a double's serve), etc.

I have my own ideas and I am considering switching over to it again, but I would like to have other players (probably better players) ideas about this.

Thanks for your kind advice.

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It really doesn't matter if your low service is executed backhand or forehand. A low service, as the word implies, cannot be returned low. Therefore it's primary purpose is to set up an attack, from the expected high return from the receiver. The great Indonesian, Liem Swie King, was probably one of the first to use the low service in singles, to devastating effect.
    You should also use the low service if your opponent's attack is strong and your defence is weak. Other times when you might want to use a low service are when the shuttle is fast or when you are playing with the wind or draught behind you so that your smashes will have more sting.

3. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

The tactical use of the short serve is to not give away the initiative by lifting the shuttle for the opponent to smash. I wouldn't recommend using it exclusively, otherwise your opponent will be practically coming forward to the net before you've even served, mix it up with some high serves and even try the odd backhand flick serve if you think it'll catch your opponent off gaurd.

4. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Your choice of service is a method to influence the start of the rally. You want to create a situation that favours your strengths, and exposes your opponent's weaknesses.

A good high serve will force your opponent into a position where it is difficult to attack. He can play clears and drops. It is unwise to smash from this position. A high serve is a defensive choice. If your opponent's clear or drop is not accurate, then you gain the first opportunity to attack.

A good low serve will force your opponent to play a lift or a netshot. A low serve is an attacking choice. If he lifts, you have the first opportunity to attack. If he plays to the net, you try to kill the shuttle, drive it flat, pressure him with an attacking lift, or gain advantage by your superior netplay.

So, when should you use each of these serves?

The low serve is effective if you are very fast and have good netplay. If your opponent's netplay is weaker than his rearcourt strokes, then a low serve exposes this weakness.

The high serve is effective if your opponent has anything less than perfect length on his clears. It works well against an overly-aggressive player who tries to smash too much.

If you prefer to engage your opponent at the net, try the low serve - but you must be fast to cover your rearcourt too!

If you prefer to battle your opponent with clears and drops, gradually moving him out of position, use the high serve. It typically makes the rally start more slowly.

For most club players (including me), the high serve is probably a better choice. You need to be *very* quick to cover your rearcourt effectively after a low serve. Against an opponent who is weak at the net, or who stands very far back on receiving, the low serve may be a good idea.

There are many other tactical considerations. Perhaps the best way to learn is to experiment! Try both serves during a game, and see which works better. Try to analyse *why* one serve was more effective against a particular opponent.

6. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Wow Gollum that was great :D . It seems to me that you're a coach;) . I had always thought of serves as the first attack on your opponent so that they can return a weak shot (like in table tennis) and so I did like 4 long serves than a short serve to surprise my opponent. I once again realised that badminton is a strategical game.^^:p