Smashing and Racket Position

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sweetd, Feb 27, 2005.

1. sweetd

sweetd New Member

BLAH! My whole post got deleted! MAD....

Okay, here we go again... I have a question on the racket position after the smash. I read the other post on this and i figured that the racket is supposed to be on the left side of the waist if you're right handed, correct?

When i usually smash, by racket ends up in front of me and today i ended up whacking myself in the knee. So i decided i would follow through to the left of my waist. When i tried it the bird ended up going to the left and out. How do i keep the birdie from flying to the left? I just use a regular forehand grip. Should i be using a different grip? Also, should my shoulders be parallel, perpendicular, or something in between in relation to the net before a smash?
    Any other suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

an interesting thing i saw on ibbs.tv is that he say to change the grip for smash.

You take it angled about 10degree from vert toward your body (clockwise for lefty like me) and the thumb is lower more like we hold a tennis racquet with a forehand grip.

but before i saw that video, i alway followed trought to my right side with the normal v grip. So the trouble isn't there

3. sweetd

sweetd New Member

If it's angle 10 degrees to your body, wouldn't that make my problem worse? Because then the racket would be angled further to the left when i hit it, wouldn't it?

Did you try this grip? Didn't it anlge your smashes to the right?

4. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

i havn't tried yet but, maybe i explain it bad cause i'm not english at all. but it sound good to me. I play tennis on the summer and that the way to smash in tennis. if you want to see what i try to explain go to ibbs.tv you will have a free 5 buck and listen the power smash.

but with a normal grip your follow trought shouldn't affect the travel of the birdy cause you have to hit it stright and after take the racquet to you side

5. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

i tried it tonight and that work 100%. a mean, you need to know the base but the little adjesment sayed in the video improoved my smash in juste one session, and i havnt had the chance to make routine to practice it. I just trow them down in a game and they were faster than before at the first time.

so here a resumé of the adjustment sayed in the video but before i will tell you what is my base.

you should plant you racquet foot and use it to start you motion, In the beginning, your arm should be cranker up ( like a bowman) and you swing to get the bird as high as possible to give it angle. don't forget the wrist snap (or the pronation), it's the same to me, but i see it more like a wrist movement and the arm follow lol

so here the adjustment

1- don't turn too much,
    Some people turn a lot ( become parallele or more to the sideline) when they do a smash, it's bad cause you loose the other side of the court of view and according to the guy in the video, you loose power. According to me, He's damn right :p

2-turn your racquet angle, about 10 degree from ther vert (clockwise for lefty ) (conterclock for right handed)

it's hard to explain for a french guy who doesn't know every english word so if someone can explain better, go!

ok, you have the normal V grip. your index and yout thumb make the v and you hold the racquet more like if you were ''pinching'' (pincer) the cone. the modification is that yout thumb go down about an inch, it touch the (the finger that you do when your unhappy) and the index is isolated, approx at the same place as the V grip. If you did it well, your racquet should be slighty angled and you hold your racquet more tight. Your swing will be more effective like that

3- left arm ... right arm (for right handed)

i mean you make a kind of ''weigh transfert'' with your non racquet arm. You aim with you non racquet arm then take it down just before you swing.
    I didn't experimented it cause it's hard to think to everything when you play, but refering to the other tips, it should work

4- always hit in a foward movement but you probally already know that :p

for two thing, one you weigh transfer in the direction that ou hit and two you will have a foward movement to continue attacking weak return.

so as you swing, your racquet foot come in front of the other, the whole body turn anyway but not too much

so i hope it will help you if you are able to decript my poor english

6. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

also stop you movementcompletely before hitting

7. sweetd

sweetd New Member

thank you for the clarification. I will try that the next time i play.

And i don't mind your english at all. By the way, i speak a little french too... :)

8. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

as i saids, i didn't make routine to practice every adjustment i mentioned so i did it gradually, like i start by the grip and doesn't mind about the other like ,not turn or the other arm movement. The grip helped a lots even without the other adjustment. after i gradually tried to stay square with the net, that help in precision and it has the advantage that you see you opponent better than if you turn. I didn't put emphasis on the other arm movement but it seem logic that it will give a better weight transfert.