User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which arm to use

I'm a left handed person and write and do alot of other things with my left. But when I play badminton I play right handed so does this mean that I will never be able to play my full potential as I should be left handed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a pro but I'd say it wouldn't matter...
    If it comes natural to you to use your right arm playing badminton,..
    then it's probably the best arm for you to use

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh wow i have the same problem. I'm lefty but my right arm is stronger so I have no power with my bad techinique >_<. I say you shold just stick with the hand your eplaying with now because youre this far in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same thing here. I'm a lefty but play right-handed. It all depends which arm feels most comfortable playing with.

Was playing in a tournament a few weeks ago and played against a guy who served left-handed, then swapped hands and played the rest of the rally right-handed.

Each to their own...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_poppema
    I'm not a pro but I'd say it wouldn't matter...
    If it comes natural to you to use your right arm playing badminton,..
    then it's probably the best arm for you to use
    When I first picked up a racket I used my right arm so I guess it is my natural arm. Thanks for your views I was worried about this issue but it's good to hear from people who are in my position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard that each person has a sport or such that they use their opposite hand. For me, its snowboarding (my left foot goes first even though im right handed) and I've seen lefties playing golf, ping pong, and such with their right hand. All these people were excellent and it shouldn't affect ur playing (perhaps other than the fact that your arm may tire faster).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

play both that will be a big weapon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post switching hands!!!!

i have to agree with Benasp. If I had the ability to use both hands I would try to develop my stroke with both hands. Think of some of the advantages. changing hands against certain oponents, changing during a match to mix things up, if one arm gets sore during a match you could kinda have a spare like a second racket sort of. I once played against a guy who could switch hands and I found out the hard way. It was about midway through the first game (mens dbls...). I had hit a few shots into this guys backhand area, he was playing left handed at the time. He had hit a few backhand drops and i thought to my self maybe I can clip them so I started to creep towards the net. i was about 3 inches behind the short sevice line when the next thing I know he switches hands SMASH I was eating feathers that day !!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use the one more natural for throwing a ball. The motion of swinging a racket and throwing a ball is very similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGr8Two
    Use the one more natural for throwing a ball. The motion of swinging a racket and throwing a ball is very similar.
    That would seem to make sense, however I play racket sports (as well as write & most other things) left-handed but I throw much better (more naturally & with more accuracy) with my right arm. Go figure!

Schneider, the stuff that you do lefty... is it mostly just your hand (& forearm)? Perhaps when you employ your upper arm and shoulder, you are more comfortable with your right side. It's possible that even footwork & body rotation preference are factors in your arm pref.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly
    That would seem to make sense, however I play racket sports (as well as write & most other things) left-handed but I throw much better (more naturally & with more accuracy) with my right arm. Go figure!

Schneider, the stuff that you do lefty... is it mostly just your hand (& forearm)? Perhaps when you employ your upper arm and shoulder, you are more comfortable with your right side. It's possible that even footwork & body rotation preference are factors in your arm pref.
    I'm much better with footwork with my right side for e.g I kick a ball with my right foot, spin throw/throw a rugyball better on my right, bat at cricket facing with my right so yes. And yes what I do with my left is mostly with my hand and forearm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the u19 gurls singles national champion of canada is left handed, but plays with her right....

so no, it won't limit your potential.... (well.. maybe she could be world champion if she played with her left?? *ponders*)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ what's her name?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Nadal in tennis is right handed and his uncle randomly told him to start playing with his left hand and look where he is now. LOL

Also for me, I was born left handed and my parents switched me over to be right handed. I can pick up learning to do something with my left hand really fast but I still play all my sports with my right hand because I learned right handed footwork and just stuck with it. Footwork is very hard to change and reverse.

If you were to lift the bird to where I am standing and I use my left hand, I can unleash quite a scary smash without practising or training it in comparison to all the time I played badminton with my right hand. It just ends up being comfort preference.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Left hand players definitely have more advantage. Because their opponents usually play against right and haven't developed tactics against left.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Left hand players definitely have more advantage. Because their opponents usually play against right and haven't developed tactics against left.
    In Singles, definitely, but in Doubles, it can lead to some confusion and hesitation especially if one plays with a variety of partners. I'm a left handed player so I see it first hand too much unfortunately, although, it's great when my partner's also left handed.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mater View Post
    In Singles, definitely, but in Doubles, it can lead to some confusion and hesitation especially if one plays with a variety of partners. I'm a left handed player so I see it first hand too much unfortunately, although, it's great when my partner's also left handed.
    I must confess, I always find it a little bit weird when people say things like this. The reason I think its weird, is it doesn't matter whether my partner is left or right handed, it doesn't change who goes for what or who takes what. If a shot comes down the middle (e.g. a smash comes towards the middle), then the person who is cross court takes it, regardless of who is backhand or forehand or anything else. This is the same for any level of play.

If a lift goes up the middle, then the closest player goes for the shuttle, regardless of which hand they play with. Or, if you prefer, the strongest rear court player goes back for it, regardless of which hand they play with.

So you see, in doubles, it doesn't matter who my partner is or how they play, the rules are the same, and the rules don't rely on someone taking shots forehand or backhand.

Just a thought

For those considering which hand to learn with... do 10,000 perfect repetitions of each shot with your chosen hand, and you won't care which one you picked. It will be damned good at all the shots.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast