Faking!!!!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by teckwei, Mar 1, 2005.

1. teckwei

teckwei Regular Member

some players who noe how to fake is tricking me....u can see he do a smash then suddenly a drop.....does anyone noe where to learn tricks like faking ?

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
  3. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

what do you mean where? :/ the only way you can learn deception is through imitating and hardwork. If you're getting tricked into moving early, then I advice you to stop looking at your opponent's movements and focus on the shuttle instead. Also stop "wanting" to move hastily to catch up to the shuttle, train your footwork and body to be faster instead.

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

The key to be able to deceive is to get in position early. For example, your opponent
    hit a slow drop. If you can get to the net very quickly, then you can have your rackets
    ready below the birdie and observe your opponent. He may run to you expecting a
    net drop. Then when he has run past the center position and is not able to change
    direction easily, you can push to the base line by a quick wrist movement.

So IMHO, key points to deception are

1. Fast footwork + Good anticipation (e.g., knowing your opponent) => be in position
    early.
    2. Strong wrist that can support quick powerful movement (when you try to deceive in
    the above mentioned way)=> Your push/attacking clear to the baseline will really
    go to the baseline.

You can find videos of Hendrawan to see all net deceptions. If you want to be deceptive
    anywhere in the court, watch Zhao Jianhua.

5. teckwei

teckwei Regular Member

i need a website who teaches us how to do tricks...can anyone tell me one?

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    lol...instead of improving your "anti-faking" skills, you are going to join the "faking" club?

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Everybody love shortcuts:rolleyes:. You can win a point here and there with a few tricks, but can you win the game? If you're really looking into trick shots, don't waste your time on this forum:cool:.

8. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Let me be the first to second cappy on that point. In the long run, it will be your consistency and ability to read your opposition that will allow you to win. Adapting your shots to pound their weakness will get you much further than trying some crazy trick shot here or there. For example, you'll be so concerned about how to execute a near impossible cross court netplay, you'll actually have it go out most of the time.

Stick to the basics and fundamentals, and they will carry you through.

9. neo_Rabbit

neo_Rabbit Regular Member

Agreed... fundamentals + deception are the way to go :D . After all, there isn't a super trick shot that'll guarantee you a point (unless it's a 1000kph smash that'll break their strings/racket). :cool:

10. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I would like to add to the fundamentals. Always watch the wrist closely. You can gain a split second which would be crucial. The wrist is limited with its movement naturally thus allowing us to predict to a certain extent.

Do your drills (Shuttle running picking etc) and keep your racket high and on your toes when you run.

11. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    That won't be a trick shot. It would be an extremely well executed fundamental shot!

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Agreed!! A 'proper' shot includes indiscernable shot preparation and delivery. When you do a fundamental shot well, you force your opponents to wait an extra second to respond, keeping anticipation to a minimal. How do you do that? Practice your strokes until all types of overhead shots can be delivered by the same overhead swing. An important part of it is to prepare early for the shot.

You are only deceived when you guessed wrong:p.

13. neo_Rabbit

neo_Rabbit Regular Member

*imagines a flaming bullet-like shuttle* yeah, i'll train till i get that :D

14. baaam

baaam Regular Member

if you want to fake it then fake it using your head.Its like basketball,you fake a shot or dribble and there you go, easy as that

15. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

It doesn't work very well when they're looking at the shuttle and not at your head.

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

At a higher competitive level, opponents actual watch your racquet face if you arrive late and underhand the net return:p. I believe Wilfredlgf or Ants mentioned that they usually look at the grip of the opponent as s/he makes the return. Doing your head fake could actually end up getting it in the face:(. Newbies might fall for it, but be careful doing it to experienced players.

17. baaam

baaam Regular Member

lol i meant by using your brain.

18. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Watch the racket face? That's the only reason why people get deceived. They look at the racket face too much trying to predict where the opponent is going to play his shot. Suddenly the opponent does a double action and he gets tricked.

High lvl competition, your physical level should be where its able to keep up with the shuttle, watch the shuttle and follow it wherever it goes instead.

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Iwan,

I think you should read more carefully before you reply. I didn't say watch the racquet face all the time. I mentioned the specific time people would do that. Rather than focuse solely on the racquet face, one should note if the opponent is making a netplay or lifting and then act accordingly.

When the player is taking the shuttle low (below tape), there's really not much option now, is there? Either netshot or lift. In this case, I am talking about doubles situation where you have forced the opponent into taking the shuttle late. A lift to the back would be dispatched by your partner while all you need to do is watch for the net play and pounce on the shuttle.

#19 cappy75, Mar 10, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  20. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Well sorry if i sounded offensive. Anyway, i was always taught not to look at the opponent's racket face or read for body movements. Always the shuttle. That advice actually came from a former Indonesian doubles player. He's now coaching in Singapore and he says that the players here get deceived easily with deceptive crosscourt netshots, even most of those in the nationals team.

He says that in order to not be deceived, you have to look at the shuttle instead. He did some of those cross court netshots at me and notably he takes it below the net. This is the course of action: Arrive at the net with racket as if playing a straight netshot or a lift, then pausing and then twisting and rotating the forearm to play a crosscourt netshot. The pause twist and rotate action happens so fast that you don't have much time to react to it, which he says is the key to the deception.

Basically, he's telling me not to react to how the opponent's stroke, but rather to how the shuttle is traveling. It is as if the opponent's stroke is there as a distractions to take your focus off the shuttle for a brief moment so he can make the shuttle dissapear. That is basically what happens to people who gets deceived, they just dont realize it most of the time. Anyway, peace man.