Stroke Players: headache

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pebulutangkis, Sep 3, 2001.

1. In the place i train in Indonesia there's a lot of stroke players which are damn hard to play with. I mean i can practically trash them in doubles but not singles. What u think is the best method to win against them in singles.

Situation: I can get quick points by smashing the high serve at the line, but its hard to get that perfect lift when i serve. Any hints?

2. Phil

Phil Guest

To get a high lift, well, I guess you could try a drop, and then move up real close to the net. That may force them not to drop it back since you are in their face, but then again, if they are stroke players, they are probably really good at the net.

3. jayes

jayes Guest

Let me share with you one of my experience that worked for me to give you some idea:

I've played a player before similar to what you described - excellent stroke player, excellent defense, and better than average footwork. But I noticed that his footwork was not efficient and he was reluctant to smash unless very sure. I varied my play - mostly offensive - to change the pace of the game; slow and fast to throw off his perceptions. Lots of deceptions - either the shuttle went deep to the baseline (corner) or close/cross net. Smashes I tried: away from him (sidelines), close to the net (1/3 of the court), and cross court.

Again it might not work in every situation (you might even lose if you use it exclusively ;) ). It all depends on your opponent and you; no single method/formula that I can think of to win over them. Oh yeah, a few important ingredients that come to mind for the above meet were patience and stamina.

Cheers. :)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Excellent advice.
    I find the steep cut smash or reverse fast drop very useful to vary the attack.

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    definition please

not familiar with the term 'stroke player'. pls enlighten

6. May

May Guest

Re: definition please

maybe it wld be easier to give u a player whose considered a stroke player, Gade.

7. happy guy

happy guy Guest

let me take a guess.

this is also my first time hearing this term 'stroke player', i don't think we use this term in north america. since no one give a clear answer to this question, i will take a wild guess at it....the term 'stroke player' sound like a player who like to volley a lots, doesn't play aggressive or attacking game and like to place the shuttle to the four corners of the globe and usually have efficient footwork. if that the case, ye zhaoying would consider to be a 'stroke player', she can out rally anyone in her prime.

ok i give up, please discribe a 'stroke player' before i go nuts.

8. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Re: let me take a guess.

The coach I like best said there are three kinds of singles players:
    1. Stroke players - return everything, place shots accurately, wait for opportunity.
    2. Aggressive players - smash, attack, hit quickly, try for winners.
    3. Doubles style players - use flat shots, dominate the center of the court.
    4. You should be a mixture of all three and vary your style depending on your opponent.

I agree that Ye Zhaoying prefers to be a stroke player.
    Also, Hendrawan won MS at the WC 2001 as a stroke player.

9. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    doesn't help

we don't get ANY badminton on TV here in the U.S. so i've got no idea what Gade's style is like.

10. May

May Guest

Re: doesn't help

damn.

11. Re: doesn't help

hmmmm...
    i'm the type who like aggressive opponent coz i've kinda trained by defence and conversion inton attack for quite some time. my style is to get the opponent attack, convert, and kill. but i cant do this to stroke players.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: doesn't help

Because they don't attack too much. They prefer to out-manoevre the opponent.
    Some simple strategies are; power play - hit through them or fast clears not giving time to for the stroke player to play their shots.

However, I sometimes play a very good stroke player. I can take the first game but 2nd/3rd games are very difficult. He is very consistent at playing the corners accurately. Then eventually I run out of breath. More recently, I try varying the pace of my shots just a little more and play more clip shots, fast slices as well as my more attack style game. Seems to work better. The games are much closer. I feel he is only just abe to contain my play rather than before which was more like he was controlling the game.

Just as a sideline, the term "stroke player" seems to be more used in M'sia/S'pore. I had never heard the term in UK until coming into more contact with M'sian badminton players.

13. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    does help

thnx for the (indirect) help on the term 'stroke player'. i've never heard the term used around here at all.

14. Re: does help

most of my opponents are the attacking type like me that normally only 1-2 lob then a drop or smash kinda player. not enough exposure to stroke players. u run out of breath becoz i are doing all the running. if u study it, stroke players play to the 4 corners, but their shots are not very fast, no drives and smashes. they like to lob, drop, lift. now i've kinda figured out some kinda strategy which is kinda like rally with the to the 4 corners especially backhand at the back and wait for the at least 3/4 court lob to smash down the lines. or simply try netting with them.

15. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Guest

Re: does help

heres an idea i kinda come up with from watching alot of badminton
    by the way i'm from Canada =), i have to borrow the tapes and stuff

what u can try to do is doing the fast clears like someone said, when the shot comes back up as a high clear or something, fast slice it cross, more like chopping it, that way the stroke player can't net it back that tight or put a spin on it. if he does net it, cross it on him, but not a tight one becuz that way he can spin it

if the player is good at spinning net it farther ahead so he can't spin it
    like someone said from above, u have to focus on getting the lift to attack him, if he plays slow, push the pace fast