What to get??

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ting03, Mar 3, 2005.

1. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    Hello everyone, i am a new member....and i have an MP 44...lol not the best but yea

i was just wondering about getting a new racquet...out of the 2 choices i have, is the MP 99 or the armortec 800 DEF...

i dunno which one, and i would appreciate it if you guys can give me some feedback and reccomendations on wat to get!!

thanx, ting03

2. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    First question. What is it about your racquet that you currently don't like? Is there heavy damage to it? Enough that it cannot be restrung again? The MP44 is a solid racquet in its own right.

One of the things we always tell new members here on BF is that your equipment has little to nothing to do with your improvement as a player. Even for advanced players, changing racquets only represent a "fine tunning" to fit their personal preference. A basic racquet, strung to a normal tension, is not an inhibitor to skill development. I'm sure there are stories out there from various members who can attest to playing with steel racquets for years before getting a graphite model.

What is your goal from trying to change your racquet? I don't know your motivation, but don't be tempted by your buddies having a flashy MP99 or an Armourtec. If you spend you money (some $200+ Cdn for the 99) instead on getting lessons and coaching, you'll be getting a much bigger bang for your badminton dollars.

Just my 2 cents (Cdn).

3. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    well...i have been using my MP 44 for a long time now....it's lifespan seems to be running out

i've tried the MP 99 and i like it much better because it has more control etc
    that's my opinion..so yea

4. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Sounds like your mind's made up :) So why hold back? Just get that 99 and start enjoying as soon as you can.

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
  6. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Well, judging from your choice of rackets, MP99, AT800, you're a fairly advanced player. Also, those are quite costly rackets... Perhaps you would like to consider the NS series? If you like the feel of your MP44 (great racket in my opinion) stick with your MP 99 but if your not too content with it, go with the AT. BTW how long have you been playing for??

7. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    well, i haven't been playing for too long...i'm not that good either, however i have asked some friends on their opinion...i know that getting a new racquet like the MP 99 or At 800 won't make me a Pro but i don't really like the style of the MP 44 (my personal preference) it's a bit too flexible...

all my other friends have MP 99's but no one has an AT..i just want to try out the at becuz there is so much hype about it

8. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

You can't really judge a players skill level from the racquet one uses. And the NS series racquets cost just as much as those racquets.

Anyways, if you feel the MP99 will add to your game overall then just buy that. My suggestion to you is to try to get a feel for both racquets and figure out which one suits you overall. If I had a choice between the two, I'd probably get an AT800 def, because at the moment, I prefer this over the MP99. My preference changes from time to time and I might go with the MP99 over the AT800 def the next time around.

9. simonob007

simonob007 Regular Member

Dont't Be Tempted By Hype!!!

What ever you do, don't be drawn in by racket 'hype'! I got an AT500 because I had read a lot of good info and reviews on it but I didn't try it before I got it (rather a silly mistake)! Anyway, now I am left with a virtually brand new AT500 in my bag while I continue with my trustee MP44.

If you want to spend lots of money on a new racket, then the MP99 would be the best choice simply because you have tried your friends and you liked it!

10. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    I wasn't implying that he would be a pro because of the racket (thats y i asked him how long he played). I made an assumption he was around intermediate since the more stiff and heavy rackets are usually prefered by the more experienced ones. Also, he had also mentioned that his MP44 was at the end of the life span meaning that it had worn out due to (i presume) practice. The only reason I suggested the NS series was because he had mentioned the high end rackets-not because it was cheaper.

11. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    hm.... than i guess i will have to try out the at800 before making the final decision

one of my friends still goes an trains at a badminton place called lee's (i went there too a few months ago) and he said that his coach and the other so called "pros" there are switching from MP99 to AT800 (DEF), that's why i was sorta intrested

i've used one of my friend's MP99...lol i hope that one of my friends will soon buy an AT800 so i can try it out

but from wat i've seen, i'll prob get MP 99.... :rolleyes: hmm....can't wait

12. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

If you don't have a friend who has a AT800, then you might want to check with Lee's to see if they rent out racquets to try or if they let people try out racquets before purchasing.

13. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

Rent a racket for $5 a day or $20 a week!

You could go to Yo's to rent a racket for $5 a day or $20 for a week.
    Go to www.yos.ca, then click product. Check out the demo program!

14. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    oo thanx, i never knew that Yo's had a site -_-

well tahnx for your help everyone! :D

15. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    AT800 Def over MP99

Hi, I find your reply interesting bc I don't like the feel of the MP99 but tried the AT800 Def 3U once. I kinda like the AT800 Def but only tried it briefly. I'm very interested to purchase this AT800 Def but before I do that, can you tell me if you have tried both the AT800 Def 3U and 4U version?

16. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I've tried the 4u version, I actually have a 4u version. I just bought it not too long ago from a friend. I know someone who has a 3u version, I held it for a bit but didn't try it out.

17. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    3U and 4U difference

So did you find the 4U a lot lighter than the 3U? I'm contemplating a 4U but don't want to lose power if it is too light. Would prefer one that allows me good drives and also power smash. My current MP77 does gives me good power but bc it is a little head heavy, I lose a bit of quickness from net and drives. Don't want to spend so much money on a 4U and find out I don't like it.

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My suggestion, try the rackets before ur purchase. Not only limited to MP99 or AT800, but if u can get ur hand on other models, just try. Never know, there might be another choice fit for u even better.

Whatever other ppl say, whatever other ppl use, should not effect u, because only u will know how well a racket fits for urself. ;)

19. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Yes of course. I know what you meant. I have already tried a few racquets. Unfortunately, I spent too much on those racquets bc where I'm at, there is no real badminton store where I can try out a demo. Recently, I was fortunate to try out briefly an AT800 Def and a Off. Found the OFF once very stiff and don't like the feel. Maybe it was the string I can't tell for sure. However, I like the AT800 Def with BG65. Felt good. Now, I just need to decide whether to buy the 3U or 4U one.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    canadian store only sell 3U 800's