Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne
    Then again I can't do that.

I need to know how a 'normal' shoulder/arm feels after intensive playing/training. After dislocating my shoulder, I really don't know what's normal anymore.

Does your shoulder ache after training 2-3 hours?
    My shoulder doesn't hurt, only my tricep. I guess some people are different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe there's too much centrifugal force pulling your arm out.
    Try playing with your wrists more?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi am w8ting on a bankhart repair had exactly same as u, when i smash round my left side shoulder pops out used to happen once every say year thenbecame more frequent until feb dislocated 4 times in 1 month and took 2 hrs ( w8tin in hospital) b4 it went back in on its own, this time tho i cudnt hit a shuttle for 3 mnths, it seems the rotation coupled with the force of the smash pops it, i used to also get pain in tricep after it poped back in, upshot operation 5 wks in a sling 5 wks physio an 6 mnths!!! off court

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heheheh maybe thats why my wrists don't have as much power as other people @@ cause when i was small my dad held on to my hands and swung me around for fun = ) and dislocated them @@, but as i train more and more, i feel they get stronger, but sadly the pace is slower than other people

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lobs are so dangerous... to the opponents and to yourself

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite all the sports that features this action, any overhead arm movements are unnatural, and overdoing it can easily lead to dislocation. I'm currently being plagued with shoulder instability, my shoulder makes a nasty popping noise and if I smash or clear too hard, it starts hurting very badly.

My coach has been advising me with a swing technique. He says "Use your arm to get there, but your wrist to hit" He says you should not be using your arm as a power source, but merely as a guide for your racket. The power should come from the shifting of weight from your entire body. It seems to be working better for me and I haven't popped my shoulder recently, despite it being loose, but I'd be very careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope all are getting on well now!

I'm lucky yet to have dislocation *crosses her fingers* and I hope never to have... (although only playing for a year plus)

A tennis elbow had me out of court for a week even though I was suggested to stay out for 2 weeks and more. Just felt so restless not being able to play!!!

I know this has decreased my reaction time and power for sure and it sucks big time! Everytime I do a weight lift action with my right arm, my elbow gives a cracking sound (if I use some force, that is) this is bad, is it?

Someone care to shed a light on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madwolfie View Post
    Everytime I do a weight lift action with my right arm, my elbow gives a cracking sound (if I use some force, that is) this is bad, is it?
    Cracking and popping sounds in the joints are known as crepitus. Crepitus is normally caused by the compression of air spaces in the synovial (lubricating) fluid, and is perfectly harmless.

Accompanied by other symptoms, however, such as pain or swelling, crepitus can be a sign of joint damage. If you're at all worried about this, check with your doctor.

Source: the Arthritis Foundation newsletter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Gollum! Thanks!

There's no pain accompanying it so I'm not worried... just wondering if it was normal at all to hear the cracking that often.

It all happened because I wasn't using the backhand grip, I just can't seem to do it and merely twist my wrist around to hit the shot. Tried out the thumb support-backhand grip last night and it seems that I can work on it! :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madwolfie View Post
    There's no pain accompanying it so I'm not worried... just wondering if it was normal at all to hear the cracking that often.
    It's hard to say. Different people get different amounts of joint noise, and it depends on the activity that you're doing at the time.

Joint noises can be pretty disconcerting, but there's no need to worry if you are otherwise asymptomatic.

Having said that, you do have a recent history of injury in that area of your body; this might be reason enough for a quick check with your doctor. If nothing else, it would help put your mind at rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think it should be ok :P tee hee hee I do wear an elbow support sometimes to prevent further injury. Quite often than not, I forget to pack it in the bag *LOL*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A 3.0 T MRI scan is also helpful in helping the orthopedic doctor to diagnose the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamiko View Post
    Despite all the sports that features this action, any overhead arm movements are unnatural, and overdoing it can easily lead to dislocation. I'm currently being plagued with shoulder instability, my shoulder makes a nasty popping noise and if I smash or clear too hard, it starts hurting very badly.
    I wouldn't say that it is unnatural, just think about how you throw a rock or pull yourself up a tree,

It seems to me that a more common shoulder injury that occurs is impingement: when a nerve running through the area gets pressed on, which reduces the ability of your shoulder to function. With overhead athletes, the acromion (the pointy end of your shoulder blade) becomes more hook shaped, so we're more prone to "catching" a nerve with overhead motions.

One thing to do is to pay attention to your shoulder stabilizers. Often, they get tired before the main muscles do, meaning you might still be able to do the movement, but with the space in your shoulder (the subacromial space) compromised. So, one thing you can do to avoid shoulder injury is to pay attention to your shoulder stabilizer to regulate your exercise. When they go, stop with overhead training.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I meant skeletally, overhead action is an unnatural action in accordance to human bone structure, and is inherently unstable, compared to underhand action. That doesn't mean we're not supposed to throw a rock or climb trees, its simply we're much more prone to injury whilst performing actions that require overhead movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you probably didnt dislocate your shoulder. Otherwise your Ortho surgeon would have got you to do some shoulder repair. You would usually proceed to an X-ray of the shoulder and possibly an MRI. You would usually need to do some physiotherapy / rehabilitation exercises for at least 12 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stan boyd View Post
    hi am w8ting on a bankhart repair had exactly same as u, when i smash round my left side shoulder pops out used to happen once every say year thenbecame more frequent until feb dislocated 4 times in 1 month and took 2 hrs ( w8tin in hospital) b4 it went back in on its own, this time tho i cudnt hit a shuttle for 3 mnths, it seems the rotation coupled with the force of the smash pops it, i used to also get pain in tricep after it poped back in, upshot operation 5 wks in a sling 5 wks physio an 6 mnths!!! off court
    Ouch you allowed it to happen so frequently without seeing a doctor?? 6 months off court... now thats a major blow. Perhaps you can still play, just take the front net, do more underhand shots than overhead ones..

Actually my shoulder dislocated more than twice since than, but usually went back in place when I completed the swing. Will hurt a bit the next day, but since I only train once a week now I've got plenty of time to recover.

Every time it happens I don't tell anyone though, I really don't want to visit any doctors. The orthopedic doc made me stop playing for 1 month! As long as it goes back in place immediately I can remain quiet about it, but my fear is that one day it doesn't go back like the time when I posted this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
    heheheh maybe thats why my wrists don't have as much power as other people @@ cause when i was small my dad held on to my hands and swung me around for fun = ) and dislocated them @@, but as i train more and more, i feel they get stronger, but sadly the pace is slower than other people
    Hmm.. for me I trained my wrists up because my shoulder is weak from the few dislocations. Hehe. My coach told me to strengthen my shoulders but every time I did any light weights my shoulder would hurt for a couple of days, and after a while I decided not to do further damage unto my already weak shoulders. Lol. Thus, I strengthened my wrists.

Sad to say, even up to today when I do push ups (which kill me but I do it when coaches want me to) it really kills my right shoulder off. My left shoulder will feel just fine but right shoulder will really really burn during the exercise, and hurt the next day.

Hmm.. have not posted here in such a long time... will be disappearing soon again, exams coming... after Dec. 3rd I'll be on a break for a few months though! Till then, will have to live with training once a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No wonder I haven't seen you for quite a while - and you said you were studying!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast