durability of AT 700

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Markus78, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Markus78

Markus78 Regular Member

i own a MP 77 at the moment. how is the durability of the AT 700 in comparison to the MP 77?

2. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

mp77 is much more durable than at700

mp77 is much more durable than at700.
    I owned a mp77, survived many clashes, at700 of my friend died on a light clash. mp77 is 2u while most at700 is 4u.

CS

3. meto23

meto23 Regular Member

you havn't delcare which part about the racket, example frame, ect.. well i guess as long as you dont hit against any hard object with your racket?;)

4. Markus78

Markus78 Regular Member

i meant the frame. i think the shaft will not break that often ;-).

5. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

i'm not a racquet broker ( never broke one in five years) but if you play smartly you shouldnt have prob, i have few minor clash with my partner but nothing to test it seriously.

6. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

AT700 are not made solid. Mp77 is much much more sturdy, even though it's a medium stiff racket.

7. Markus78

Markus78 Regular Member

what about the mp99's durability

8. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

I own three mp99 (that's how much I love this racket). Although they say it's an extra stiff racket but I find it just stiff, which is good in my opinion because you need some flexibility to not have your racket too brittle. For example, I know so many players who broke their mp100 in less than 3-6 months because it's too stiff. Another fact I like the mp99 is the quality of the paintjob (not the color) which makes the racket less "chippable" than others.

Overall, it's an all-around racket for doubles at any level. Some pros like it for single (like Lin Dan) but I don't. Simply because the downside of this racket is the sweetspot which is a matter of getting-used-to. I didn't have the depth/length when I first started with this racket but as I kept on finding the sweetspot, I end up having better footwork and timing for every strokes.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    not fair to compare a 2u against a 4u

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    In answer to your question I have bounced my AT700's off just about every solid surface and have only broken 2 after racket clashes during a game.

So in otherwords they are ok hitting off floors, walls, people etc but not off other rackets.

And yes I still have 5 left.

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    well, I have seen a lot of broken AT700 already, some MP 77 as well. The 4Us are usually not so durable; 2U is better in this subject.
    (However, they are still not even close to the CABs.:p)

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, we know how close you're with your cabs :D

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Good call!!! :p

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, I don't care about all the "solid fact" or whatever. However, I NEVER believe using "clash" is a proper or accurate way to compare durability. There are way too many factors involved in a clash.

15. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

yhea that true, im mean if you hit when your racquet swing at the same speed that will do nothing but if someone swing on a not moving racquet, ouch!!

but why are you clashing your racquet

16. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Have you ever played badminton? Even the pro's clash rackets :eek:

17. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I agree with this... as cooler mentioned too, comparisons of rackets of different weight classes isn't really fair.

On top of that, you've gotta consider string tension, angle of the clash, where on the frame each clashed...

I'm a bit wary comparing according to the flex of a racket playing in though. Someone mentioned MP77 as medium stiff... well, the thing is, it IS a relatively medium stiff racket, but because it is head heavy, it will flex anyway by sheer result of it's swingweight in motion. So weather or not flex plays into clash considerations in the MP77's case (or any other head heavy rackets) is dependant on the velocity of your stroke, which will determine if your racket flexed much or not. I'd imagine that in the case of a stiffer racket with head heavyness making it flex, the actual flex won't do much to absorb shock, it only adds to the velocity of impact.

Regarding the Cabs though, I feel since it has a more even balance (maybe even head light, but that's just relative to all the head heavier rackets I used to use) it has "less chance of breaking" at least. I don't know about emperical durability though. See, I'm the kind of guy who has never clashed a partners racket totally unaware (pretty proud of that!) so usually, when I see that there's gonna be a clash, I pull away. There's still clinks and scratches, but because I was pulling away, it's not a solid racket on racket hit... in which case, a headlight racket in my overprotective hands is easier to prevent damage to than a head heavy racket, which is slower to maneuver.

Although, i hope I didn't just jinx it! (I think a real bad break is just a matter of time for me, the odds against a perfect no-break record are just too high :( )

18. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Whoops, forgot to mention when I said "CABS" in the last post, I meant CAB30Ms !

19. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    I think i have to disagree with all of the posts here... my friend owns an AT 700 (4U) and it seems quite durable. It has endured many clashes (some more major than others), floor hits, people hits and he even threw it (by accident) into the air (slipped from his hand) and it still survived. Unless you're dropping the racket every 2 seconds or a very frequent clasher, I think it has great durability.

20. Dill

Dill Regular Member

So if you disagree with ALL posts what exactly are you saying?

I'm a little confused!