badminton vs football

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by george, Sep 5, 2001.

1. george

george Guest

Ever wonder why badminton doesn't attract as many supporters as football does?

I would think that badminton is more thrilling, football is boring.

2. Bad Man

Bad Man Guest

The answer is simple. Because Football is governed by FA.
    But Badminton is governed by IBF.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    When you say football, are you refering to what the Americans refer to as Soccer? Or are you talking about American Football?

4. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Its all your preference of sports. I love watching football! I don't play it as much as i did before but i really enjoy watching it.

I like watching badminton equally as much. I think its simply whether we like the sport or not that determines whats interesting and boring

5. george

george Guest

Yes, football, soccer.

6. Brett

Brett Regular Member

For the same reasons that the Backstreet Boys sell more copies of one cd than the entire career record sales of the late, great blues musicians like Luther Allison or John Lee Hooker. Blandness is more palatable to the masses - they prefer not to be challenged by anything new, intricate, exciting or complex.

7. I'm not sure I agree with any of you so far. One of the big problems with badminton on TV is that it's virtually impossible for a lot of people to follow the shuttle. A soccer ball is much easier to see.

8. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    I disagree with that, i find that its i can follow the shuttle very easily.....

9. May

May Guest

byro, certainly u've gotten lots of practise.

10. Yes, of course YOU can see it just fine. But I was sitting with a group of friends, watching a very good TV, and I flipped to badminton. Everyone there thought it not much fun to watch because they couldn't see the shuttle most of the time. (Except me of course). Your age might have something to do with it, meaning you have better eyesight than a bunch of middle aged people.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the masses to agree that badminton is fun to watch, at least in North America. There's just not enough of a player base or history of support for the sport here.

Also, being a 3 dimensionally oriented game, rather than 2 as in tennis, it's hard to translate the athleticism inherent to badminton to an uninformed public via television. Hence most people WILL watch tennis, or football, but few badminton.

11. happy guy

happy guy Guest

you are absolutely correct, badminton is not made for tv, but hopefully HDTV will change that once it become a standard in north america. for me, even now the whole badminton format on tv is bad, it is very unpersonal, they need a yound talent who can give tv badminton a new face lift. by starter, they could have many mics and camera views to capture what is interesting to the viewer, badminton match on tv that will excite yours senses and feel the player emotion and intensity with close view and sound. definitely the sound must be in-sync with the picture, for ie.. if they show a close view of taufik talking to the empire, i want to HEAR what they saying, it doesn't matter if i understand the language or not, i want the whole feeling of the situation. up close and personal.

12. May

May Guest

Possibly not, I daresay most ppl haf better eyesight than me. Coz i'm 500 Shortsighted and above 200 Astigmatism on each eye.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    have you tried using contact lens?
    at 500, the glasses is getting into the 'thick' range

14. Wedge4Life

Wedge4Life Guest

those morons

15. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Guest

i think its becuz of the media actually
    like have the shows i've seen potrays badminton as a wussy's game, boring game, like something that won't make u tired.
    If the media has a change in it we mite have better badminton here in Canda
    Uno the Media does kinda control how people determine or think of certain things
    also ya the TV, we get no badminton on tv, probably becuz the angle is bad, uno what i mean
    i have 2 videos that were more of a....... diagonal angle, from that angle u can see the actual speed and pace of the players
    but from uno the usual top view it seems sooooo sloooooowW

16. Budi

Budi Guest

Soccer is really boring, I prefer American Football, more interesting. Every game is different and it requires strategic and tactical thinking from the team.

However, badminton is even more interesting ;)

17. Budi

Budi Guest

I don't have a problem following the shuttle

18. Blacktiger

Blacktiger Guest

Basketball is so much better than soccer! Soccer is boring...but Badminton is different. Badminton is fast...and exciting to watch.

19. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Even if I liked the game itself, I wouldn't watch soccer because of the silliness that goes on during those rare moments when someone scores a goal. Why on earth would anyone think that it is still clever or interesting for the announcer to scream GGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for two minutes after each score? Why does the scorer have to run around the field like that pompous clown Roberto Benigni with his hands up in the air until his teammates finally catch him a minute later?

I'll beat some of you to the punch - I also dislike most of the touchdown celebrations in the NFL, which are childish and unbearingly arrogant. I really enjoyed watching the Dallas player deck the 49'ers player for showboating on the midfield Cowboys star emblem last year. The only such celebration I like is the Green Bay Packers' Lambeau Leap into the stands at Lambeau Field. Unlike most of the rest of the celebrations, which have gone beyond mere excitement and happiness to become statements of conceit, the Lambeau Leap is a celebration with the fans, for the fans.

Here's a question for anyone from Europe: are there any pro European Handball leagues? I played this sport a few times at school when I lived in the UK and really enjoyed the fast pace blend of soccer and basketball, which, unlike soccer, is usually pretty high scoring. That would make a good sport for television, as the ball is plenty big enough to see and there are lots of goals.

20. babystar

babystar Regular Member

Student
    because in football we have a sphere ball which cant be found in badminton...
    football attracts the media's attention...
    the salary is higher
    in football, we can cultivate the team spirit more;)