Firefox and BF/BC

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by wilfredlgf, Mar 5, 2005.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Is it just me or does BC/BF load spectacularly slow on Firefox nowadays? I had to let it load for almost a minute (while I go make a drink, pee, look out the window, check the remnants of the butter cookie tin) when it should haveonly been 1/0th of that time. The screen 'stops' loading after the top navigation bar and will take some time before everything appears.

Hands up please, for those who have the same problem.

It works fine on IE though, although still quite slow compared to Firefox in its heyday. Does the 1.0.1 update have anything to do with it?

Kwun, kwun, resist the Dark Side! :)

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I use both firefox 1.0 and 1.01. no problem for me. Sorry to say it is just you...

3. viver

viver Regular Member

Firefox

I use Firefox 1.01 and do not have this problem. Speed about the same either with IE or Firefox.

4. frankcent

frankcent Regular Member

probably you are downloading tons of badminton videos at the same time.:rolleyes:

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Actually I feel the best way to view the forum is using firefox, especially with tab-browsing.

I think restarting the modem you're using (if it's ADSL) should help. If not call your ISP see if they have problems with international links.

6. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Slow delays are definitely not due to Firefox, or browsers in general. Browsers today on a low to mid performance machine can render a webpage in fractions of a second once the data is there. The bottleneck is always waiting for the data to stream in over the network.

I do notice that the "Today's posts" search is getting slower these days. Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a more powerful load balanced cluster Kwun!! :rolleyes: As Kwun said before in another post, don't forget that we have members querying the site from all over the planet, at all times of the day. There are bound to be times when there are more people than the site can handle, and things slow down.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no slowdown from my side either. BC/BF isn't the fastest site around, i have to admit, but hardly the slowest either.

there are things that i can do to speed up the server. in terms of hardware, it is quite decent already, i think some thing could be done on the software side. let me see if that is possible. i haven't done that before as the load wasn't a problem, but things get tigher when one grows larger i guess.

kinda like people need bigger houses when they have bigger family, and if they cannot afford it, then they have to re-arrange the furniture to accomodate the larger number of family members.... damn, i caught the analogy bug from cooler..... ;)

8. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Thanks for the input, guys, but somehow I think one of three things might have happened:

1. Firefox 1.0.1 causes the slowdown. I didn't say this but a fellow Foxer ;) told me that 1.0.1 had been known to be somewhat slower than 1.0. It cannot be my ISP because it works fine on IE (still only half the supreme speed of Firefox). It had the 'Turbo Mode' setting on, but it wasn't a problem at all for version 1.0. Other international sites such as Red & White Kop and Google ran fine, except BC/BF.

2. BC/BF had been formatted to use IE-proprietary code? I guess not since Kwun himself uses Firefox, right? ;)

3. My DSL modem had been set to work as a router with port forwarding for Azureus. Reset to factory settings - same result.

As I am typing this on ... I... E... it's still 'loading' on Firefox. A few refreshes, like 6 - 7 times might do the trick :( which I think is pretty weird. Another check... yeap, still loading, stopped at the 'BadmintonCentral' banner; 'Transferring data from www.badmintoncentral.com...' and that's 7 minutes now.

Some input from other Streamyx users using MusangApi?

p/s - The insert link feature don't seem to work for me on Firefox.

#8 wilfredlgf, Mar 6, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  9. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm. Why not uninstall firefox and reinstall it. Prolly that should fix it. Oh yea, check your firewall settings too. They might mess your firefox up.

I'm seriously not sure right now... but I'm using firefox 1.0.1 and I do not have any problems surfing bcentral

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I ran Firefox on my linux laptop and it was just fine. So, it might be your settings or there might be something wrong with the connections.

11. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

perhaps disabling "similar threads" will speed things up? It sounds very intensive on the server side, and not particularly useful for the end-user.

12. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    How about trying to go to other sites? Such as www.yahoo.com , www.ebay.com, www.worldbadminton.net and see if it's slow at those sites as well. If it is slow at other sites, then you know there might be something wrong with the settings. :)

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    i noticed my firefox 1.0.1. seemed to get slow while loading just about every site. I checked the cache, and found there were about dozen cache folders. Even with using the Tools>Options>Clear Cache it didn't get rid of these extra folders.
    I manually deleted these, and Firefox seems to run back at a decent speed - comparable to IE6..

14. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    'Comparable to IE6'? Sir, that's a taboo statement to some of us here. :)

I found out that it was a problem with the ISP as my friends with Streamyx had been complaining on slow speeds in that few days. I seems to be limited only the home/basic suscribers, but I'm not sure how wide the problem was.

Either way, thanks for the help people. :)