Mp30 getting weak?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Neosakai, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    This might sound crazy but.....

I got my NEW MP30 strung with BG80 @ 23lb.... This racquet is less than 2 weeks old..

Yesterday I played with my dad's friends and this idiot doesn't know how to play doubles and he slammed his racquet on mine... The top of the frame was chipped (and it was a new racquet :crying: ).

That's not all though, after my racquet got hit... I can't feel the birdie anymore, it's like the racquet is getting weaker.
    Today I tried smashing through doors in my house, and my ISO 23VF with factory strings has the same power as my MP30....

Is it just me? Or something is wrong with the racquet?
    If so, is it the frame's problem or did the strings just.... got out of place and need to be restrung or something?

Please help >_<

2. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Hello, I'm sad to hear such an accident happened. Was the clash hard as to my knowledge MP 30s are quite durable but if it was a fairly hard clash, no racket would stand a chance. Why don't you check if the frame is warped? If not, check your racket for cracks, weird noises when you swing your racket. If there are none of these conditions, I wouldn't really worry about it too too much. If you're still missing the feel, why don't you tr to get it re-strung?

I hope this helped ^^

3. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Thanks for the reply..

The clash wasn't hard enough to make any phsyical cracks. But it was hard enough for me to hear a big noise =S....
    There were only two paint chips and no cracks from the frame. But I'm scared that the inside of the frame might be cracked or something? The racquet didn't change in shape or anything. It looks perfectly fine except I couldn't get much power out of the racquet anymore...
    Could this be the racquet's problem or the string?

If it's the string, what should I restring it with? I'm using BG80 right now, and currently interested in BG-68ti.... But I heard it's slippery o_O

4. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    May I be very respectful in my suggestion that the drop in power is only psychological.

Afterall, you don't actually have any physical evidence anything has changed. Without any detailed instrumentation, smashing against a door is a fairly inconclusive.

:eek:

5. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    lol I practice smashing like that daily though... and after that day I just notice a big drop in power. But meh, maybe I'm worrying too much, or string dropped tension...

6. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    Did you get your racquet through a local dealer? May be you can bring it back & get it check by the professional! That's why it's so important to buy a racquet with warranty! :D

7. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    lol. I think it has warrenty, dunno how long though.

But the sucky thing is that I strung the racquet already, so.... Unless I somehow manage to string it again with factory strings, I don't think I can exchange it O_O

8. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    I think that if the insides are broken, there has to be some outer deformations as well. The drop in power can be a mix of phychological and change in strings. Continue playing with it for an hour or so and if its still not what you're looking for, ask a good friend, your stringer or where you bought it if anything is wrong with it. Loud clashes doesn't neccessarily mean that the racket is ruined forever. It always sounds so much louder when its your racket clashing.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I tend to side with the psychological effect answer. Even if the racket has a microscopic internal crack, u wouldnt notice the change in power at all (unless u r more sensitive than electronic sensors). When ur smashing, the frame is still in one piece(undeformed)--> string tension shouldn't be difference.

Reversing this logic, I think this case study prove that for some people, an expensive new racket will improve their play. Because in this case, even a scratched racket would degrade their performance :)

Neosakai, don't be offended by the above postulation. We've all went through this experience before ;) Did the paint chipped off at the contact point?

#9 cooler, Mar 7, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  10. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    lol I guess I'm just worrying too much. I'm still a newbie at badminton and paying hundreds for a racquet makes me worry about everything that happens to it. But I guess I'm overreacting :eek:
    and yeah, there were two paint chips from where the racquets were crashed...

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

just keep an eye on it, and see if the paint chip grow to a crack or not.

12. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Actually, you have every right to be worried. We all experience clashes and at those times, we cant help but feel a little worried:eek:- especially if we did not cause the clash. I hope your smashes get faster^^

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I tend to agree with this as well. If there's serious damage (in or out), the racket should be either broke or at least deformed. If no, that does not make sense to say there's tension change.

Like u metioned, with an expensive new "toy", ppl tend to over worry about it at the way beginning. Every little tiny paint chip might make us worry for several hours. I still remember how i reacted when i see there's a tiny little "hair line" in the middle of a paint chip when i 1st clashed 1 of my cab30ms. After about 1 yr, it still standing in good service.

Once u worry too much, somehow, u won't be able to concentrate in ur swing, which makes off center hit and less power. Therefore, don't worry too much, just enjoy ur game. I am sure all the performance will be back, once u put ur heart back into the game, but not the racket. :)

14. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Perhaps this will make you feel better. Today I was in the changeroom and my friend was looking at my overgrip. Some fag comes in and snatches the racket from my friend and smack's his friend's asses with it... After that when i ask him to stop, he throws it at me and i couldnt catch it... I had the urge to break it over his head and make him pay for it but as I am a nice person, I just held it in. I played really crappy today...

15. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Ouch... I guess I'm really over reacting about my clash then.

How hard was the throw btw. Was it an overhand throw?

16. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    It was an underhand throw without any malice. I couldn't catch it with my sandwich in my right hand...:rolleyes:. I cant see much lasting damage done (other than my pride;)).

17. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Not necessarily psychological..

I had my racket restrung with BG 65 at 24lbs Sunday this week. I started using the racket last night, the string bed felt great before I had a clash 30 mins into the session. The string seemed to have lost it feels after that. You can argue that maybe the string is just "breaking in", but the string now feels a LOT looser. The racket doesn't appear to be damaged however; the clash wasn't that hard i think..i wasn't swinging the racket, but my partner was, and his racket hit mine.

Anyway, there's a possibity that he hit the string on my racket, and that may be why the string doesn't feel the same as before.

18. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Maybe that's what happened to my racquet O_O

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

forget about the strings, u guys are making me dizzy from your racket clashes :eek:

20. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Don't worry. Denial is the 1st step in their 12 stages of recovering from Post Traumatic Clash Syndrome (PTCS).

Symptoms include hallucinations of internal racquet damage, feeling of queasiness on smashes, a lack of power during clears, and an unexplanable urge to restring, etc.

By the time they make it to step 8, they'll even go forth and apologize to the guy they clashed with! :D

#20 604badder, Mar 10, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2005