Grip too large?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by manduki, Mar 6, 2005.

1. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Hello, I've posted a thread posting my grip and many people thought that my grip was too small. So I went out and bought some Overgrip and gripped it thick. However, I'm missing the power that I used to have. I only played for about an hour or two after it was gripped and was a little disappointed. (clears go from around baseline to around the middle of the court. Ususally its further back). When my friend gave it a try, he was going nuts- seemed to produce almost as much power as his Ti-10. Now i'm posting if my grip is too big for my hands;) (please refer to picture below)

Thanks for your replies

2. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    This is the overgripped one

Attached Files:

3. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
  4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    That looks OK to me. (It might be a little small:rolleyes: )

5. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Wow still small? It feels very large to me.:confused: Perhaps its because I was used to the smaller grip?

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Is that called big? you should see mine. Anyway its just nice. It may look small to me.

7. Schneider

Schneider Regular Member

Student
    Thats still too small but ahwell you will get used to it. If you think thats big you should see mine, it's got tape underneath it and a full, none cut off (none wasted) Silver Karakal pu super grip, it's big! but thats the way i like it.:)

#7 Schneider, Mar 6, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  8. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Manduki...shouldn't worry too much about the grip, I myself use a Winex G3 size, which is about equivalent to a Yonex G4. No overgrip. I know this guy I'll say ~200lbs, whose hand is much larger than mine, who use a Yonex G5. People have commented that my grip is too small as well... :D But, hey...that is why there have different sizes grip and there is no such rules that the bigger your hand the bigger your grip should be.It does not matter the size, as long as you are comfortable with it.

#8 wwcbro, Mar 6, 2005
  9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Manduki,

Is this your normal forehand grip? If it is then you tighten your fingers too much hence your lack of power. The grip should be slightly dangling with your fingers doing the correction ;) . There should be some space between your fingers and the grip.

Although the pictures aren't clear for detailed analysis, I see that you grip slightly panhandle.

#9 Pete LSD, Mar 6, 2005
  10. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    I see... How big are your grips?!?!!? keke. Well I'm not going to wrap another layer as it seems to be too much. I'll try it out again tomorrow and if I still don't like it, I'll take it off and wrap it thinner ;).

Thanks for your replies ^^:D

11. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    I think it is a matter of personal preference.You want the racquet to be comfortable in your hand so that you don't have to resort to hammer gripping it to maintain control of the head.It should be large enough that you can comfortably go from forehand to backhand grip with a little bounce of the racquet head.If when swinging in the overhead motion the racquet is hard to control the pronation or the directionability stability of hitting then your grip is probably too small.There is a fine line between how big or small your grip needs to be to utilize finger power when hitting.Keep in mind that the grip should be tightening at the point just before contact to utilize that extra bit of snap.Depending upon your strength and timing of your swing all this will change.The reason your swing right now seems weaker is because you haven't adjusted for your timing of the snap and the degree of pronation has changed as well as the balance of the racquet, plus you've grown accustomed to the smaller grip .Give it time and see what happens.

12. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    The balance point is 270mm now for those interested;). Also, I find the grip nice when just holding it, but it feels foreign when i clear or smash... I guess I just need more time to adjust to it. BTW my hands are really sweaty... I think I read somewhere that wristbands reduce sweaty hands? Can anyone confirm that?

Thank you for your replies ^^

P.S. Wowow 100 posts already!!:D 3 digits make me feel special;). I hope that my posts weren't useless and I hope to be an active BFer ^^