how you string when the clamp arn't fix

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Benasp, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

i'm a newb but i doesn't understand how you do to string when the clamp are not fix to the machine like this one [​IMG]

i saw some video with stringing machine like this one
    [​IMG]

i can understand cause the clamp are fix so they can't move with the string but with the other, the only way i see it to clamp outside of frame and how will you make the next if there a clamp in the way.

i need explanation cause i plan to make one by myself just for fun

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    They are two different machines. The bigger one comes with two fixed swivel clamps. The little one doesn't come with fixed clamps. It uses flying clamps, which do not do a good job. You get what you pay for.

3. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    First, that one you got is for tennis. With this one, for badminton racket you need minimun a set of accesories for badminton like floating clamp, frame plate and tensioning weight. (like Package A337)
    (The floating clamp is a two strings clamp, not for outside of the frame.
    READ THE MANUAL.)
    Second, if you plan to stringing badminton racket, you sure order the one for badminton. If that is your case, try to return it. And order the other one if you still like this 2 point support machine. For that price, a 6 points support machine is much better.
    [​IMG]
    Klippermate® Badminton Stringer
    (more info)

[​IMG] $155.00

#3 Alexccs, Mar 6, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  4. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

thank you, the thing i didn't understanded is that a clamp attach two string.
    but with practice is this possible to make a potable job with flying clamp, for me the time is not a factor cause i will string one racquet a month. I juste whant to make my own just for fun.

the hardest part will be the support table for the weight, i will use a ratcher [​IMG]
    and add a big box to make the string holder. i will make a lot of holding point to be sure that nothing mooving. I will try to make it similar to the second machine i showed, it will be harder to adjesut but , time i not a factor

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. The pic shows Klipper M140 machine. Even though, the base looks thin, but it is made by heavy duty metal, which means it's not going to flip over. I've used it for more than 2 yrs, and never get any problem, by just place it on top of a regular table.

2. Flying clamp is a "2 string clamp". u need to clamp the current tension piece, as well as the adjucent "already tensioned" piece together to maintain the tension well. Like taneepak stated, flying clamp will suffer some tension lost, especially at high tension. However, if u string under 25, 26 lb, I don't think it's too much of a problem.

3. From ur picture, it shows the tennis setup. If u also want to use it for badminton, u need to purchase the badminton kit, which is sold separately. If you get it by mistake, u might consider return the tennis kit (clamps, weight, and frame holder) and exchange for the badminton ones.

6. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

do you guys think these clamp can hold up to 25lBs, i'm very sceptics

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I have 2 of those
    24-25 is about their limit.
    They are not worth 45 CAD
    You can get some flying clamps better and cheaper from www.eagnas.com

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am not very sure about this. I think the key factors for clamp are the spring strength and the width. I've tried clamps from Klipper, which might be good for tension below 23lb. I am using Yonex clamps now, seems 25lb is ok. ;)

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

and also the amount of friction the gripping surface has.

10. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

Clamp

I ordered two of these clamp a week ago. It is still on its way. But the price is only $18.95 US each. (shipping is FREE)

I will let you know after I tried it out!

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I was able to use Klipper clamp up to 25lb before the thinner strings (BG-85) get pinched. Later on I took the clamp apart and use epoxy glue on the contacting surface. waited 24hr before it dry. Then I sand it down with sandpaper to give it a better grip. I tested up to 27lb without sliping and damage to bg-85 string. I think it is too much work to get that extra 2lb. The HiQua and YY clamp are wider and give better grip without damaging the string. However, you can not adjust the clamp force on either HiQua or YY.

12. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    You can get them for less price with Eagna PN-3091P or PN-3091. They are adjustable. (http://www.eagnas.com/tools.html)
    I used them upto 29 Lbs.
    P.S.
    Order all the tools you need together, save money from S&H. Like awl for badminton, Starting clamp, Gromment replacement tool and Tension Calibration Gauge...

13. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

wich will be the best
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

they seam kinda little for 25 lbs tension

14. ryeung

ryeung Regular Member

You may want to consider the PN3050. Seems to grip quite well.

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Yeah, the Klipper clamp is a pain for thin or Ti string. Always seems lose a lot of tension after strung. Yonex clamps seem are better for these 2 types.

16. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    Eagna floating clamp

The PN-3091P on the picture is old model. The new one came with 4 teeth.
    Personaly I used them upto 29 lbs.
    PN-3091P and PN3091 are same design, diferent by colour.
    The PN-3050 got 6 teeth, I haven't used this one, so I can tell you that much. I do used Yonex one (5 teeth), can't hold more them 26 lbs. Both are spring-assisted clamp. (Can't be adjust)
    If you plan to string up to 25 lbs, any of this clamp will work for you.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you are using flying clamps, you must use 4 flying clamps and a starting clamp. Without all these 5 items there is no way you can really do a good job stringing any racquet. You are only short-changing yourself. One of the biggest mistake you can make is to use a flying clamp as a starting clamp. Even the stores commit this most fundamental, but unforgiveable, mistake. :D

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with your statement if you talking about 26+ lb. However, if your target is 23 or below, there are many things you can "adjust" to do a better job. Might not be the greatest string job in the world, but it should not be bad at all. ;)

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

No, I am talking about any tension range. Without a starting clamp you cannot really fully 'load' a mounted racquet. The two middle main strings must be pulled and tensioned individually (not one pull for both) without the slightest slack. Even using two flying clamps to start off the first main string cannot do this most important first step. A starting clamp for this first step is even better than using a fixed clamp.