starting positions in XD

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by other, Mar 6, 2005.

1. other

other Regular Member

Student
    is it just traditional for the ladies to start on the right hand court? or is there a rule, or is it just down to ettiquete? surely then if the serving pair wants to start with the lady, becuase they start in the favoured position, then the opponents could have the guy receive serve first to put more pressure on the serve?

2. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I want to know too..I think it is just how traditional MXD is played, woman serve stay up front :p

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Both pairs will prefer the lady to be serving or receiving.

If the lady serves, then it is harder for the opponents to attack the serve (the man serves from farther back).

If the man receives, then attacking the serve puts him out of position. If the lady receives, she can attack the serve without compromising their ideal position.

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    ah ok...so in the future, if the guy is stronger than the girl (in amateur play of course) the guy could start serving first?

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Both sides can choose which player serves or recieves at the start of the game. Normally the woman starts in both cases because:

• in friendly games, it is usually part of club etiquette;
    • in competitive games, they are more likely to win the first rally this way.

So it's up to the pair to decide, but normally they choose the woman to start.

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

at whatever level of play, if the different strengths and weaknesses of all the players on court mean that you have an advantage by starting in a particular formation, then do it.

Even in level doubles. If one player has a much better serve, or return of serve, it may be better for them to start.

At some clubs I used to play at, the ladies were very weak compared to the men. I would sometimes be the first receiver in league matches, just to threaten the serve more and put the opposition in an unusual position.
    Having to remember to be on the opposite side of the court to usual was a pain though

7. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

me, i do it cause the girls are better to count the point lol, i dunno i had to give her that she go a great serve. And it's always easier to make point when the girls serve, it should be for that

8. Iaincs

Iaincs Regular Member

Accountant
    This is a good question. I was never sure if it was the rules or just ettiquette.

I only remember seeing one instance where the man started, which was during the 2002 Commonwealth Games and, whether done deliberatly or not, it confused the opponents and was maybe worth a point start.

In club or matches though I think it's easier for the lady to start, if only to avoid protracted arguments about the rules with the opposition!

9. Casper

Casper Regular Member

Student
    For me, I preferr my girl start first and match it with other team's girl. But if my opponent decided to start the guy first, then I will match it with I will receive first. Not that I care that much on advantage and disadvantage of stronger and weaker players, is only because I can keep track of the score easier. And there are not law in badminton who should start first or girl have to start first in XD.

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    anngho/yunita when playing against Robertson and Emms in AE 2005 QF started with the man on the right. I had never seen it before, but thought it strange after we had talked about it here.

11. other

other Regular Member

Student
    mmm...it didn't do them much good...they started each set by losing about 5 points in a row:rolleyes:

12. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    ummm....

From how i know it, its usually womens serve first. But also when the mens serve, the woman is allow to stand anywhere one the court. So there may choose to stand in front of the men, as long as they don't block the shot.