7x5 going after Thomas-Uber cup

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by UkPlayer, Apr 25, 2002.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    It looks like 7x5 is going after Denmark and England changed their minds on it.

See here for the full article.

2. Don

Don Regular Member

It serves them right, games went too fast. It was bang, bang, and game point. It really sucked the fun out of watching badminton.

3. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    I've never tried 7 x 5 before.... just 15 x 3 maybe I should try it. Yea game would probably go too fast.

4. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    I HATE 7x5... i hate it with a passion... if you don't get serve and for some reason you have a slow start, bam down one game... then you get a little nervous cuz your opponent beat you, bam down another game... now you're scared, cuz you're one game away from defeat, bam, match over....

with 7 points, you either get slaughtered, or make major
    comebacks....

but then i guess it forces you to play your best from the beginning to the end... which i guess is kinda good...

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    how about 5 x7 continuing for ladies singles and ladies doubles?

5 x 7 looks to be tougher than 3 x 11.

6. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    well... for 5x7 for ladies singles, the minimum points you need to win is 21, as opposed to 3x11's 22, and the maximum is 35 as opposed to 33.... that does sound pretty food actually, but i think that having more breaks would make 5x7 less strenuous than 3x11

for ladies doubles, i say stick with 3x15...

7. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

How abt 11*5

I think this would want more out of the men in Doubles than the 15*3. For singles I very personally feel that the 15 point system is Gr8. I dont like the 7 point system and for whatever reason it is going i am happy abt it.

I think 7*5 for women is most ideal as i think the women's game has not changed considerably and stlill the same old game.

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    9x5

I asked Gade about this last night, and he advocated the 9x5 system as the best solution, and that "it would be a failure to revert to 15x3". So I think we will see both BAOFE and DBF supporting 9x5 when IBF will vote on this...

#8 Mag, Apr 26, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2002
  9. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I dont subscribe to his views

When the new system came in he said this was going to be the future and stuff like that. Even though he always was in support for the new system he for some reason still prefers the shortened version rather than the Old bigger verison. Is it got to do with his Knee? Is it startergical thing.I think it has to do with the fact that his game is a high intensity one and with his recurring knee problems he might actually be able to adjust well with the new system and play lesser points and put less strain on his knee.

I am sure that most asians are still playing the old 15X 3 format for singles and doubles.I think It woudl not be any big difference to go back to the old format. Plp like Bao and Lin dan have to improve on their fitness and aspects of the game.

I am sure the old veterans will do amzingly well in the Old format.

10. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Yogi, I think it is important to understand that before, when Gade advocated the 7x5 system, the 9x5 was not an option. As I have understood things, he (and the DBF) still prefer 7x5 over 15x3, but would rather see 9x5 than 7x5.

In any case, after having seen some matches, personally I think that the 9x5 works very well -- in both doubles and singles. It is still an open question what system the ladies should use, though...
    And 9x5 isn't shorter than 15x3. It's the same number of maximum points won, and actually it turned out that matches were generally of longer duration than 15x3 (despite the 5 min break rule under 15x3).

To me, it's a toss between the two. Both systems work well.

11. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    9x5 sounds interesting actually I'd like to give it a try.
    I think most people could see that 7x5 was going to be a non starter.

12. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

What do u think is the diff?

Mag, I have not as yet tried the 9*5 system and apart from the doubles of the Copen masters i have not seen it been tried elsewhere either at the international arena.

As to singles what do u think is the advantage over the 15*3 game. It is still the 45 points that they play for and the straight sets means 27 points as agst 30. But then what aspect of the game is going to bring out more and not lose the others. The 7*5 brought out Offence but then the other great facets of the game were lost.

So what actually do u think is better in the 9*5 system over the 15*3 one.

My fav player is Peter and i did not say anything as to accuse him. I was just trying to work out a rational behind his statement. So incase any of u peter fans are offended then i am very sorry.

13. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I'm not sure about the viewing perspective but I think the breaks and the increase in number of games will make it very interesting from a playing perspective. I think there will be a psychological shift in the match where you can pick up a game which would have been lost in a 15x3 match. You can push it just that little bit earlier to get the 9th point because you know you are going to get a break. The extra game will make if very interesting for close matches.

14. shuttlejunkie

shuttlejunkie Regular Member

I've played 7x5 and wasn't overly keen on it as a format so I'm quite pleased its likely to be dropped. Without repeating all the old arguments aout the necessity for a format change, will the extra 2 points make THAT much difference over 7x5?? Also with the increased level of fitness amongst the women, why shouldnt they play the same ??

15. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

UKP If i could call u that,

I think the whole deal why they changed the format was to bring in the crowd. If the playing perspective alone is Gr8 then i really dont knwo how it is going to bring in more money and make IBF like the ATP.

Same deal with TT as well. The balls have become bigger so as to slow down the game.It has actually attracted more crowd and Tv viewership has gone up.

I guess if it is going to bring only Fun and the extra drive to the players then i dont see it becoming a hit. I will agree that once we play that format we might feel the same fun but then when we pay money we might demand something else.

I think i have to start playing Doubles in 9*5 format with an open mind to see whether i really enjoy it more than the 15*3.

Either way thanks mate.

And if u did not like me calling u UKP then i take it back. a Blanket apology is extended from my side.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    from what i have gathered from commentaries, it seem the asian likes the 15x3 and european likes the 7x5. Maybe a 9x5 system would be a happy medium. Also, the duration of breaks chosen for each formats could dictate the outcome the games too.

17. modious

modious Regular Member

Yeap, Asians prefer the 15x3 format while Europeans prefer the 7x5 format. A compromise (9x5) will be good perhaps?

But then again, wasn't the 9x5 format rejected some time ago?
    Hmmm.....

18. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Can i ask u all something?

What was so wrong with 15x3 or 11x3 that they felt it was needed to shorted them? I see nothing wrong with it, and see 7x5 or 9x5 rediculous. Just stick with the old traditional 15x3 and 11x3...

19. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I don't mind being called UKP at all. I've been called far worse lol.

I'm not sure whether 9x5 will become a hit, I was just commenting that I think it would be an interesting format to try to play. I never liked playing 7x5. I'm all in favour of the IBF keeping 15x3.

Also to shuttlejunkie, although it doesn't sound like much I do think the extra 2 points will make a significant difference over 3 games. You have to win an extra 6 points in total.

I personally don't think changing the format is going to make any real difference to TV ratings. If it's reverted back to 15x3 then I will be ecstatic. I was starting to get worried about this 7x5 malarky.

#19 UkPlayer, Apr 28, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2002
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I'm all in favour of a 5 game format. It's better for creating excitment.
    e.g. Player A is 2-0 in games, and then loses 2-3; what a comeback by player B.

compare that to;
    Player A is 1-0 up, and then loses 1-2; what a comeback by player B.

What would the ordinary person think of the 2nd scenario? It might be "So what's the big deal?"

That's probably one of the reasons why Grand slam Tennis is so attractive. A player can have more chances to come back from a deficit.

Table tennis now has 7 games. i feel a little bit lost watching the match. The bigger balls are a good idea. The best TT game was one where the floor and sides were of dark backgrounds. I could see the ball really well.

The number of points in each game in badminton is a different matter. for me, 9 points please, no tie breaks. If it goes into a fifth game, the winner has to win by two clear points. That would be awesome.