All-England opening rounds overview

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by hcyong, Mar 6, 2005.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Men's singles

1st quarter
    Lin Dan is of course the overwhelming favourite in this quarter. In the last 16, he will probably play Dicky Palyama. Dicky may have P. Gopichand (who has to qualify) as his 1st round opponent. In the quest for the other QF spot, Xia XZ faces Lee Hyun-Il in the Round 1 and probably Park Sung Hwan in the next round. Waiting for him in the last 16 (Round 3) may be Niels Kaldau, but Niels has a dangerous opponent in Sairol Amar Ayob in the very first round.

2nd quarter
    Kenneth Jonassen faces the possibility of Boonsak in Round 2 and Hafiz in Round 3. Chen Yu and Ronald Susilo face each other right in Round 1 with the prospect of Wong CH in the second. Whoever wins this faces an easy 3rd round as Taufik had vacated his spot and should advance to face Kenneth (probably) in the Qfinal.

3rd quarter
    Chen Hong does not have an apparent obstacle to the Qfinals. Only Shon Sheung-Mo can stop him. Waiting for him in the Qfinal is possibly Chen Jin, but Chen Jin has to defeat Joppien in Round 2 and then Bao Chunlai in Round 3, probably an obstacle too far.

4th quarter
    Peter Gade has the pleasure to test rejuvenated Lee Tsuen Seng in Round 1. In Round 3, he could meet Roslin, who should pose no problem. In the Qfinals, another Malaysian awaits him. But Lee Chong Wei will first have to fend off either Boesen or Kuan Beng Hong in Round 3.

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Women's singles

1st quarter
    A Wong Mew Choo v Chen Shao-Chieh 2nd Round battle in on the cards, but the winner meets top seed Zhang Ning in the next round. Zhang should have no problems disposing either and should advance to the Qfinals where she would face either Jun Jae-Youn or Tine Rasmussen, who both had a bye and face each other in the 2nd Round. The winner of Jun/Rasmussen will probably face the easier Yonekura in the last 16 before playing Zhang.

2nd quarter
    One part of the draw has
    (Wang Rong v Li Li) v (Xu Huaiwen v Salakjit Ponsana)
    What's more, the winner will then meet Zhou Mi.
    On the other part of the draw, we find, interestingly, Eriko Hirose. Should Zhou Mi get to the Qfinal, she has the chance to avenge her defeat. But Hirose has to go past Yao Jie in her part of the draw. Let's see how she does.

3rd quarter
    Xie XF may face Chen Li in the last 16, but whoever she faces in the round will pose few problems. In the Qfinals, there is the prospect of Wang Chen, but Wang has to dispose of Seo Yoon-Hee in her part of the draw.

4th quarter
    Pi HY takes on Kaori Mori right in the beginning (Round 2 - they both have byes). Round 3 is not a problem and at the Qfinals, either Gong Ruina or Mia (who will probably meet in Round 3) awaits.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

my take on the AE(MS draw)

hmm, are we just talking about MS or including all fields??if we're just talking about MS, then the post header title should be titled just that.

Anyway, here's my gut feeling for the MS draw.
    Looking at the top field, with Taufik out of the lineup, I think Lin Dan's main obstacle(s) will be against Kenneth Jonassen and/or Ronald Susilo. He should reach the semis without any trouble, and will most likely meet either of them.
    On the bottom field, I think PGade's main obstacle will be BCL and LCW. Again, with the extra rest and practice time, he and KJonassen should have plenty in the tank to make it to the semis. I would be surprise if none of them reach the semis.
    On that note, stranger things has happened in the AE. Who would've thought Gopichand Pullela would win the 2001 AE??..
    BTW, i saw Marleve Mainaky's name in the draw..wow, PBSI is actually sending him to play??..

#3 ctjcad, Mar 6, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Why is Taufit not competing?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Men's doubles

1st quarter
    Eirksen/Lundgaard has a bye, then a simple 2nd Round and a 3rd Round with either Tan Bin Shen/Ong Soon Hock or Jeon Jun Bum/Lee Yong Dae. The fight between the young Malaysians and the younger Koreans in Round 2 will be interesting. 8th-seeded Ha Tae Kwon/Yim Bang Eun occupies the other part of the quarter and should meet either Logosz/Mateusiak or Clark/Archer. I don't see a problem for Eriksen/Lundgaard and Ha/Yim to meet in the Qfinals.

2nd quarter
    German Open winner Cai/Fu has a bye, then faces Choong/Chew, who are not pushovers. After that is the prospect of Robertson/Blair. In the Qfinals, Flandy/Eng Hian should be there because they face no problems in their part of the draw.

3rd quarter
    Paaske/Rasmussen's hardest obstacle to the Qfinals are Patapol/Sudket. In the other part, Sang/Zheng Bo face compatriots Guo Zhengdong/Xie Zhongbo in the 2nd Round and in the 3rd Round may face either Chan/Koo, Lamp/Andersen or Han Sang-Hoon/Hwang Ji-Man, an intriguing 3-cornered battle for the youngsters. The Danes and Koreans will face off first.

4th quarter
    Luluk/Alven has a bye and then a possible elimination by Jung Jae-Sung/Lee Jae-Jin. And guess what, after that, they face the winner of
    (Bach/Gunawan v Kidho/Setiawan) v Candra/Sigit
    A strong Indonesian flavour to that part of the draw (I thought they have rules to seperate players from the same NOC...). Anyway, that is just to qualify for the Qfinals. And if Luluk/Alven manage to overcome these hurdles (only two hurdles actually), the Qfinals may be a relief. Mogensen/Boe or Laybourn/Steffensen will fight it out for a Qfinal spot.

All-in-all, it seems like a very unbalanced draw.

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    lol. I'm watchin out for roslin for some reason. I think the moment we play him down he does something extra ordinary ;). TS Lee or Tan Sri Lee as we call in at home is one to watch out for too.

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Women's doubles

1st quarter
    I don't see an obstacle for Yang/Zhang to meet Du/Yu (even though unseeded) in the first Qfinal. The latter meets unlucky 8th-seeded Tripp/Wright in the opening round.

2nd quarter
    Gao/Huang faces a minor test in the opening round when they meet Cheng/Chien and that will get them properly warmed up for the Qfinal meeting with the Lee Kyung Won/Lee Hyo Jung again.

3rd quarter
    Saralee/Sathinee should stroll to the Qfinal. The other side of the draw could see a little dogfight (or catfight if you like). Li/Jiang from Singapore take on Indons Novita/Nurlita in the opening round and the winner will then meet Olsen/Schjoldager for a place in the Qfinals.

4th quarter
    Wei YL/Zhao TT faces locals Emms/Kellogg in Round 2 for a place in the Qfinals. On the other side, Chin/Wong (who got pummelled by Wei/Zhao) face Koreans Jang Soo-Young/Kim Mi-Young in the opening round, and possibly Japanese opponents in the next round. They should survive but hopefully won't get pummelled again by Wei/Zhao.

9. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

There are some appealing matches in the opening rounds in the MS.
    In the forth quarter, the much improved Lee Tsuen Seng may give Peter Gade a run for his money while in the third quarter, Marleve Mainaiky will not give Chen Jin an easy time, besides Simon Santoso, he is another Indon Player to carry on their MS's challenge. Nonetheless, Chen Jin should have a slight egde over the later judging from his current performance in German Open. Lin Dan obviously stands out in the first quarter.His compatriot Xia Xuan Ze may face some stiff challenge from Lee Hyun Il if the later's form rebounds from German Open. The second quarter is quite open with the absence of Taufik, Kenneth J, Hafiz or Wong CH may advance from this quarter.

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Mixed doubles

1st quarter
    Eriksen/Schjoldager should meet Laybourn/Rytter (who I heard are the Danish XD champion??) in Round 2. In the Qfinal, either Blair/Munt or Lamp/Harder await.

2nd quarter
    Chen QQ/Zhao TT faces Singaporeans Saputra/Li right in the opening round. If they get past, Round 2 does not look like a problem but in the Qfinals, Widianto/Natsir loom large. The Indonesians face local hopes Clark/Kellogg in Round 1.

3rd quarter
    This quarter throws up a very probable Zhang/Gao v Xie Zhongbo/Yu Yang 2nd round tie. The winner advance to the Qfinal. The other part of the draw sees a tricky Sudket/Saralee (4th-seeded) v Tsai/Tseng opening round tie.

4th quarter
    2nd-seeded Robertson/Emms will probably get another shot at Lee Jae-Jin/Lee Hyo-Jung in Round 2. For the victor, the Qfinal will seem easier with Mogensen/Olsen as possible opponents.

11. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Malaysia Boleh

Looking forward to see an upset from Lee Tsuen Seng against Peter Gade as Lee has a lot to prove to BAM about his 6 month probabtion in national squad.
    Lin Dan, though heavily favourite, need to watch up Sairol Amar Ayob, another player who will be all out to prove BAM wrong for not selecting him into national squad.
    Boonsak or Jonassen, does it really matter to Hafiz? If Hafiz play to his capability then he's potentially capable of winning the title.
    Well, if you don't know me by now ... I am a Malaysian :)

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Nice to read the analyses hcyong!:)

MS: XXZ has it really tough! 2nd Quarter it no walkover, and looks open on paper, with lots of inconsistent players there. I go for a Lin vs KJ semi to look forward to. I wouldnt back chen hong to beat shon. I go for Shon vs Bao QF. Lee tseung seng can be tough if he wants it, could be unlucky gade. I still go for LCW vs Gade QF then Bao Vs LCW semi LCW Vs KJ final, KJ to win!!! (but maybe Lin i am just trying to back someone else!)

WS: it would be too easy to predict an all chinese SF here! it couldhappen though, normally I would back Mia to beat Gong, but if they meet in round three, it will mean Mia has plyed R2 already in the day and maybe doubles, so itcould be too much. The only upset I can see would be Zhou mi losing. XXF Vs ZN final, ZN to take it (XXF will get nervous:()

MD:Dont know where to start! I wouldnt underestimate clark/archer to get QF, and may take them to beat Ha/Yim. They will lose to DEN in QF though. I have Cai/Fu to lose to Eng/Flandy in QF INA pair to make final I say. One of the Chinese pairs wil make QF against JR. Tough call that one, heart says JR, but mind says CHN.(Prove me Wrong JR!) I back Candra/Sigit to roll back the Years to make the final and Win!

WD:Only one chance for an upset here, and I think the Korean pair are unlucky to have drawn Gao/Huang who are thre pair I would back everytime to beat them. CHN all the way.

XD:Eriksen/schol should make semi, and face Widianto/natsir (widianto faced Cqq/ztt last year QF, and IMO was let down by marissa) Widianto to make final. Other half I see Lee Jae jin/Lee hyo jung making the semi against Gao/Zhang Korea will take it, and then the title!!

I have been a bit adventurous this year in predictions, I am so excited, there are so many new/old players I hope to see in QF (Chen Jin, KKK, LCW, Lee Jae Jin, XXF(see if she has improved), Bao (i like watching him), Luluk/Alven (not seen live), du/yu, lee hyo jung/lee kwun won (not seen as pair), and many more!!!

13. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Taufik ruled out with knee injury

Taufik ruled out with knee injury
    7th March, 2005
    THE Yonex All England Open Championships suffered a blow today when it was confirmed that Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat, the sixth seed, has been forced to withdraw with a knee injury suffered in training on Thursday.
    http://www.baofe.co.uk/?session=1549653865&selected=2882&