Hafiz eyes revenge in Birmingham

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by ants, Mar 7, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    PETALING JAYA: Boosted by his recent good run, men’s singles shuttler Mohd Hafiz Hashim will be out to end his winless streak against two formidable players in the All-England badminton tournament starting tomorrow at Birmingham’s National Indoor Arena.

The German Open runner-up may have to meet third seed Kenneth Jonassen of Denmark and top seed Lin Dan of China in his bid to reach his second final in three years in the US$125,000 tournament.

And Hafiz, who won the All-England title in 2003, is eager to play against his bogeymen.

“My performance in the German Open has raised my confidence. I beat (Lee) Chong Wei for the first time (in four meetings) and it was an achievement for me,†said Hafiz in a telephone interview from England yesterday.

At the German Open, Hafiz upset teammate Chong Wei 15-3, 15-7 in the semis but went down 8-15, 8-15 to Lin Dan in the final.

It was Hafiz’s fourth straight defeat by the 22-year-old Lin Dan. Hafiz, however, feels that he is just a whisker away from beating the Chinese.

“He (Lin Dan) is not unbeatable. Yes, he is good and his attacks are sharp and his strokes can be deceiving. But if I get a chance to meet him again I will know what to do,†said Hafiz.

Before getting the chance to meet All-England defending champion Lin Dan, Hafiz will have to be cautious in his earlier rounds.

Hafiz, 22, faces Jim Ronny Andersen of Norway in the first round. His next tough opponent is likely to be Jonassen in the third round.

Hafiz lost to Jonassen in their two previous meetings, with the latest defeat in the semi-finals of the Singapore Open in November.

“I have come a long way since winning the All-England title (in 2003). Now, I am in good form and I hope to do well and improve my world rankings ahead of the World Championships (in Los Angeles in August),†said Hafiz, who is currently ranked 18th in the world.

At last year’s All-England, Hafiz lost to Anders Boesen of Denmark in the third round.

Besides Hafiz, Malaysia will be represented by Wong Choong Hann, Kuan Beng Hong, Mohd Roslin Hashim, Lee Tsuen Seng and Sairul Amar Ayob in the men’s singles.

The All-England qualifying tournament starts today with Tan Bin Shen-Ooi Sock Ai the only Malaysians in action in the mixed doubles event.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    We will just have to see how he fare this time in All England.

3. happy go lucky

happy go lucky Regular Member

He sounded confident. I hope he can deliver as he said he would :rolleyes:

4. peace

peace Regular Member

He seems very confident after reaching the German open final. Hmm, maybe he can beat The Danish Jonassen, but I am sure he cannot beat Lin Dan. LIn Dan is unbeatable now. he already come back after his disaster in Athena 2004..so I think at least Hafiz will face difficulties to beat Lin Dan:rolleyes:

5. other

other Regular Member

Student
    he is beatable....don't forget the taufik match in indo 2004 and bao (i think) in china 2004

well, it would be nice to get back to back AEs:D