Veteran badminton coach Chin Kiat gets due recognition

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by ants, Mar 8, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar
    KUALA LUMPUR: Badminton's Yap Kim Hock added another feather to his cap when he was named as the national men's Coach of the Year for 2004 last night.

Kim Hock got the nod over five other coaches - R. Dhanaraj (taekwondo), Mazlan Shaari (silat), V. Subramaniam (athletics), Ahmad Amedza Arshad (squash) and Zamil Murad (shooting).

However, the selection panel could not decide on a winner from the list of four nominees in the women's category – Lim Lay Sim (netball), Hasnah Kasim (lawn bowls), Tan Ai Ling (artistic gymnastics) and S. Vasugi (taekwondo).

Badminton coaches took the limelight at the awards ceremony at the Legends Hotel here last night with veteran coach Moe Chin Kiat finally getting recognition for his contributions to the sport.

THE SPECIAL ONE: Veteran coach Moe Chin Kiat (right) receiving the Special Coach Award fron Youth and Sports Ministry's parliamentary secretary S. Vigneswaran.
    Chin Kiat, who has been developing talent for Selangor and the country for more than 30 years, received the Special Coach Award.

Chin Kiat, who is affectionately called cikgu or ciku by his students, is currently involved with training disabled shuttlers under the Malaysia Paralympic Council (MPC).

For Kim Hock, who is now the Badminton Association of Malaysia's (BAM) chief coach, the award is seen as a boost to his relatively short coaching career of four years.

He is currently with the national team for the All-England Championships, which begin today.

“Getting this award is a pleasant surprise for me,†said Kim Hock in a telephone interview from Birmingham last night.

“It is an honour to be named as the top coach but I still have a long way to go.

“This will spur me on to work harder to help bring glory to Malaysia in badminton. I hope my charges will win the world or Olympic title.â€

The BAM secretary, Gangga Rao, received the award on behalf of Kim Hock last night.

Kim Hock, who was the 1996 Atlanta Olympics men's doubles silver medallist together with Cheah Soon Kit, took up coaching duties after ending his playing career in the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

He became a coach with Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) and his charges – Jack Koh-Tan Bin Shen and Koo Kien Keat-Ong Soon Hock – emerged as the runners-up and semi-finalists respectively in the 2002 World Junior Championships in South Africa.

Kien Keat-Soon Hock also bagged the Asian junior boys’ doubles title in the same year.

Last year as the national team's doubles coach, he helped Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah win the Malaysian Open title.

The pair finished as the runners-up in the All-England and were ranked world number one in the run-up to the then Olympics last August.

Sabah coach Tie Mee Kiong, who had brought up the country's top swimmer, Lim Keng Liat, won the national women's development award. The men's award went to athletics' Ithnin Mahadi.

All the winners except for the Special Coach Award received RM5,000 each.

2. CHC7576

CHC7576 Regular Member

Property Development
    A well deserved recognition which came so.....late

Those who know "Cikgu" will always know Cikgu because he will never said no to any request you put to him if he can do it for you. He has been contributing to badminton selflessly and never seemed to chase for recognition. Do you know that his generosity had help groomed many Malaysian national players in the 70s & 80s. The entire 75/76 Malaysian Thomas Cup Squad was looked after by him day and night when it checked in for centralised training.
    Cikgu dislike glory seeking officials and many a time distant himself from them while working diligently behind the scene to look after the players. He is indeed a great man and Malaysian Badminton is very fortunate to have him around.
    Coaching the Malaysian disabled badminton squad is now his latest dedication to badminton. Malaysia's disabled badminton players won many medals for the country but hardly any publicity given especially to Cikgu whose untiring efforts even at the age of mid 60s continue to go un-noticed.
    For those who know Cikgu, they will always remember him and for those who have been looked after by him during their playing days will forever be grateful to him.

3. smashingmark

smashingmark Regular Member

Wow.. didn't know that there is this article on this great man.. Tomorrow will be "Ciku"'s birthday. He has been my coach for more than 15 years and he as done so so much for the sport and to people's life.

I am for one very grateful to him for guiding me and for taking care of me in my younger days. Alot of what I am is because of this great man who has taught me badminton and about life. Well he has coached the La Salle PJ badminton team to win the MSSM team event whereby La Salle PJ beat KL who were represented by Ong Ewe Hock at that time.

Tomorrow I'll do a tribute article about this man and we'll be sure to celebrate his birthday tomorrow after our regular sunday game!

4. playstation 3

playstation 3 New Member

I love playing badminton and I'm glad that coaches are now being recognized.. we should really be thankful for their efforts in training us.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

In case some of you are unaware CHC stands for Cheah Hong Chong, Dominic Soong's doubles partner in the 1976 Msia Thomas Cup squad of Dominic Soong and Cheah Hong Chong.CHC is probably the only Msia Thomas Cupper in BC.