Changing Shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by MarkinJapan, Mar 8, 2005.

1. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    How many times do you guys change shuttles in a game?

At my club some times I feel like like a bit of a jerk asking to change the shuttle when some of the players would rather save the club money, which in turn saves the players money, and play on a bird untill it absolutely needs to be changed. If I had in my way, I would be changing shuttles every 3-5 points. I had a singles game today where after 2 points the shuttle was getting a bit softer and slower. When I asked to change the shuttle, my opponent aknowledged the speed had changed but sort of rolled his eyes meaning he thought it was a waste.

Also, at a tournament I played recently (which was not umpired) I asked to change the shuttle as it had changed speed. My opponent refused. I looked to my coach and asked what the deal was (it wasn't a very formal tournament) and she said in this case I can change the shuttle when I win back the serve. So I won back the serve and without asking went and changed the shuttle. I guess the proper thing to do would have been to ask a non-partisan party to test the shuttle. Am I wrong?

2. Cengsc

Cengsc Regular Member

Administrative..
    Re

Hi,

wow, u so rich, change shuttle 3-5 points.
    For me, i change when the shuttle flying drownsy or speed is slow.
    As for the feather, as long as the shuttle is flying normally, we continue to use.

ceng

3. napee

napee Regular Member

are you a pro? if you'e not, then i also think its too much after just 3-5 points, especially during casual play. after just 2 points in singles games? super rich.

in my gym we have our ex-nat Razif Sidek playing. he also doesn't mind to use the shuttles until they are quite worn out e.g. broken feather. if not, he just keep on playing.

for my level, a shuttle can last at least one set of single game. sometimes, 2 sets.

4. wawan

wawan Regular Member

me too....

use RSL Silver most of the time...
    now trying yang yang....

5. wirre

wirre Regular Member

You should change shuttle when needed, not depending on how many points played. Of course depending on if you are willing to take the expenses change at will, for what ever reason like watertide, fullmoon etc. But otherwise it is the condition of the shuttle which should be the deciding factor nothingelse. When doing recational/friendly games or training sessions I try to save some bucks and don't change unless totally necessary, little bit change in speed is acceptable but not "wobbly" flight. *Use common sense depending on situation*.

If you find that you are much more prone to change than any other player in the club you might discuss it with the others and maybe offer to chip in a little more money for shuttles. Alternatively bring an personal extra tube of shuttles and when wanting to change (if opponent doesn't agree) give the used one to him to save for another game and use one of "yours". This should only happen when having different opinions about speed. Broken feathers and/or wobbly flight is without discussion a case for replacement and that should come out of the "club stock of shuttles".

For the pros it will be a little bit different when "mind-games" might come into play, ask world no 1 in MD Jens and Martin about that:cool:

/mats

6. takahira

takahira Regular Member

Something to do with software
    over at the club I play at.... we really just play doubles most of the time, but even then we use worn ones for warming up... then just use a new feather for every single game.... that's pretty much it.... quite economical I think....

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think it's very hard to draw a line to say, how often you should change the shuttle. It highly depends on the durability of the shuttle itself and the lvl of playing.

Personally, I will change it, if the shuttle is really not playable any more. If just missing 1 piece of the feather, but the flight is still accpetable, I would continue use it.

For just 2 point in a sinlge game (assume not super long rallies), usually I don't see the need of change, unless either the player(s) chop the feathers, or the shuttle itself is in poor quality or condition (need to be steamed).

8. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    Its not that i'm rich, nor is the club. And it's not that I change the shuttle at a whim. I change when the shuttle has lost a noticable amount of speed.

I guess alot of peoples attitudes are "you should just adjust" They figure the first few points are a break in period when the shuttle slows down a bit. It's at that point that I like to call for a new shuttle. And it's not like they're wasted. They become drill and warm up birds.

Who knows, maybe its just the shuttles we play on. I did notice the Yonex New Officals i played on last year lasted longer.

9. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    There is no objective way to tell when a shuttle should be changed... its all opinion. In my case, being an amateur and usually playing doubles, i have 3 other people on the court to consult with regarding shuttle change. As shuttles dont come cheap, we usually play till the change is very significant. Thats an absolute maximum of 2 shuttles / 15 pt doubles game, the norm would be 1 shuttle per game. we use RSL official or silver feather and we each contribute a birdie or two during every 2 hour session.

If i were paying (in part of in full) for the shuttles, id roll my eyes too if i had to change birds too often. however, if some organization pays for the shuttles, i wouldnt mind it at all. :D

10. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

i usually change the shuttle when the shuttle becomes wobbly in midair... cuz it's kinda hard to hit those... hahaha