All-England QFinals Day

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by hcyong, Mar 10, 2005.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    MS
    Lin Dan v Lee Hyun Il
    Wong Choong Hann v Shoji Sato
    Bao Chunlai v Chen Hong
    Lee Chong Wei v Mohd Roslin
    No single match-of-the-day because they are all great matches.
    This has to be Sato's most glorious run in his career. And among QFinalists opponents, he faces the most vulnerable in Wong Choong Hann. I don't know how to call it. There will definitely be one China v Malaysia SFinal. I think Bao will take the spot, but I don't know how to read into Roslin's defeat of Peter Gade. I will stick out my neck and stick with Lee Chong Wei. Lin Dan is clear favourite for the Final.

WS
    Zhang Ning v Jun Jae-Youn
    Xu Huaiwen v Eriko Hirose
    Seo Yoon-Hee v Xie Xingfang
    Mia Audina v Kaori Mori
    No single match-of-the-day because they are all great matches.
    It has been a long time since we see a balanced entry in the QFinals, 2 Chinese, 2 Korean, 2 Japanese (new Uber Cup challengers?), 2 Europeans. But the balance of power tips heavily to the Chinese. Xie should have little trouble while Zhang must overcome her tentative performance (according to her results) so far. Mori beat Mia a week ago, and she may do it again. It could very well be a Japan-China battle in both SFinals. Together with Sato, Japan features prominently in this tournament.

MD
    Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard v Ha Tae Kwon/Yim Bang Eun
    Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng v Flandi Limpele/Eng Hian (match of the day)
    Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen v Sang Yang/Zheng Bo
    Luluk Hadiyanto/Alven Yulianto v Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen
    The men's doubles, supposedly the event to throw the most shock and surprises, sees QFinals populated by the top 8 seeds (compare this to the WS event which often conform to the seedings right to the end). 3 Danes, 2 Chinese, 2 Indons and a Korean. How's that for MD? Malaysia is conspicuously missing. Chief coach (and MD coach) Yap Kim Hock must be furious. But I still think Malaysia has lots of potential in this department due to the high number of dependable players in the ranks. Back to this tournament. I think the top 4 seeds can make it to the semis. But Sang/Zheng can upset the proceedings because the Danes had been shaky for some time.

WD
    Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen v Du Jing/Yu Yang
    Gao Ling/Huang Sui v Lee Hyo-Jung/Lee Kyung-Won (match of the day)
    Saralee/Sathinee v Jiang Yanmei/Li Yujia
    Wei Yili/Zhao Tingting v Chin Eei Hui/Wong Pei Tty
    I think Gao/Huang will beat the Lees again. Three South-East-Asians from three different countries (and none of them Indonesians) in the lower half, have we ever seen that before (especially in All-England)? It is very likely the top 4 seeds will contest the SFinals, but they mustn't look down on their QFinal opponents.

XD
    Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter v Robert Blair/Natalie Munt
    Chen Qiqiu/Zhao Tingting v Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir (match of the day)
    Zhang Jun/Gao Ling v Sudket/Saralee
    Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms v Anggun Nugroho/Yunita Tetty
    Frankly I like to see a Zhang/Gao v Robertson/Emms SFinal, as do most of of you. And I think we shall see one. The other QFinals, I am not so sure. I have seen the English pair and they are steady altough not top-rate. I have never seen the Danes play, but they had consistently better Eriksen/Schjoldager. I predict victories for the Danes, the Indons, the Chinese and the English.

2. rwchen

rwchen Regular Member

I hope Lin Dan will live up to his top billing. He has a silght edge over the rest with the exit of Peter Gade. Great matches awaiting in the MD, I dont see any clear favourite in this event. Chinese WS's domination did not take place this time surprisingly. I have expected them to take up half the spots in quarters. China should be worried about their sudden dip in performance or have they not recovered from the euphoria of winning the WS gold in Olympics? The up and coming youngters from Japan and Korea have shown their prowess in this department, but the youngsters from China have yet to spring a surprise or two in the recent tourneys. Malaysia has done remarkably well with three quaterfinalist in the MS. Although Wong CH and Roslin Hashim are considered elites, Lee Chong Wei has been quite consistent to at least reaching the quarter final stage and should be capable of advancing further. Kuan BH has shown potential to make waves in the future, not forgetting the revitalised Lee Tsuen Seng.
    Can't wait for some good matches in the live telecast of the semifinals tomorrow!

3. 02011953

02011953 Regular Member

Finals
    MS I fancy a Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei Final. LCW is the only player apart from LD who has won a Grand Prix recently and the others look jaded or are too inconsistent. If Bao makes it to F he will lose to LD - again - his early wins against LD were 7 pointers including the WJC and Danish Open. The only win in 15's was the Japan Open, but he then lost to Susilo.

MD Cai/Fu vs Luluk/Alven with win for the Indos. The 2 top Danish pairs have not been consistent lately.All the others are either new or old or erratic.

WS Both Jun Jae Youn and Hirose look capable of toppling the World Champ in her current jittery state. Xie should win the other half and she could repeat the German Open result be crowned with her boyfriend.

WD The field is really crowded at the top. It will be 2 Chinese pairs but if Gao/Huang win the SF, they will win the F as Wei Yili/Zhao TT have never beaten them.

XD Open. Best track record Zhang/Gao and Robertson/Emms, but they'll at latest meet in the SF. The former have exhausted their 9 lives - the Worlds, AE and 1st Olypmics were won by a single point in the tie-break and at the 2nd Olympics to have their nemesis (lost 9 consecutive times) Kim/Ra removed for them. Robertson/Emms' F's temperament is suspect - Olympics, German Open. Chen/Zhao are good but not scinitllating. The others have done pretty nothing. Y

4. Bresis

Bresis Regular Member

I am not sure who to root for the match between Roslin and LCW. Both are also malaysians. Real glad to see 3 malaysian players in the QF but very disappointing in the MD. Maybe Kim Hock should start a new training program? :p

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I salute Roslin who's done better than Hafiz. Who would have imagined that the 'veteran' Roslin could beat the hot Peter Gade, who should have wrapped up the match in straight games instead of allowing Roslin to crawl back and win the decider? To think that Roslin could outlast Gade seems out of question! What an upset!

Roslin might be able to do a Gade on LCW as well. Left to be seen. But at this stage of the AE, Li Mao's trainees seem to be doing better than Misbun's, unlike the German Open. To see Hafiz submitting so timidly in straight games to giant-killer Shoji, especially in the first game, is just unbearable!

6. Wai Shing

Wai Shing Regular Member

Student
    Wow, Lee Hyun Il is on fire this week...but I think Lin Dan will put an end to his run.
    I've never seen Sato play but he seems on *fire* too! I want Wong to win but my senses tell me the giant-killer will prevail.
    I think Bao vs Chen is a really close call, but Bao seems to be doing better this time around so I think he will win.
    I think Roslin will finally make a breakthrough and overcome his comrade after tiring him in a 2 hour+ game hehe

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    As far as I know Roslin is one of those players who, if allowed to, will stretch a game as long as possible, using his stamina to tire down the player and defending everything patiently until a chance appears.

Not many can match his stamina.

Still, in modern badminton, players of this era would normally do it fast and swift to avoid it.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    too bad no lin dan vs taufik duel.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not only that, but he is also able to complete frustrates his opponents by retrieving every shot and destroy their confidence as a result.

Gade is great when he can play his way in a game. but when things starts coming back all the time, he gets nervous and impatient. and frankly, i don't think he has the mental stability to continue attacking against strong defensive players like Roslin. he often crumbles and confused when he cannot penetrate through.

historically, including this encounter, Roslin is leading 5-3 head-to-head against Gade, with 4 wins in the last 5 encounters.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    This quarter finals will be very exciting to watch

For Lin Dan vs Lee Hyun Ill Match..
    Both have won 2 games from each other as Lee won the earlier part in Year 2003.

1st set will be a warmup set for Lin Dan.. but then i think Lee will go all out win this match. SPEED vs SPEED see who is faster. Lee may have an edge over Lin Dan on the 1st set. But if Lindan win the set.. most likely he will wrap up the match.

Whoever win the 1st set will dictate the outcome of the match.

My Prediction Lin Dan in 2 sets

Wong CH vs Shoji Sato

1 - 1 in their Head to head encounter , Their last meeting was in 2003 as Wong won in Spore Open.
    Shoji has been on fire lately after his win over Boonsak , Kenneth and Hafiz. I'm sure he will want to win this match badly.
    Wong Choon Han has been struggling lately. Even in this tournament his performance is still below par IMO. He has been aiming for this torney for a long time. Shoji is the man to watch.. however will Wong CH prevail? We will see.

My prediction Wong Ch in 3 sets.

Bao vs chen Hong

So far records has shown that Chen have more wins over the younger Bao Chunlai. For me this will be again another chess match. Bao have been very consistent lately. We will see how he will fare over big brother Chen Hong.

My prediction is Chen Hong in 3 sets

Lee CW vs Roslin Hashim

Can we say Misbun vs Li Mao? Both players would want to make their mark in this AE tourney. I've seen both play against each other in practice and local matches. Lee CW indeed has improved alot , he had gained alot of speed and mental toughness. However Roslin is does not lack in experience. He may be a tiny bit slower than the latter.. but he still have alot up his sleeves against LeeCw. This match can go the distance.
    I will root for LEE for this match.

11. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    My predictions

Mens singles chances
    Lin Dan > Lee Chong Wei > Chen Hong> Bao > Wong CH > Lee Hyun Il> Roslin > Shoji Sato

The way I see it, only 2 players stand in the way of Lin Dan, Lee CW and Lee Hyun Il. Lin Dan has no real weakness other than his over confidence and slow start. In either case either of the Lees would have to play out of their skin and push from the start.

I like Bao but he just seems to be complacent where he is. Chen Hong is less dynamic but one can sense his hunger (or desperation). The only person not in the race is Shoji, who has had a magnificent run so far.

Women Single
    Xie > Zhang N > Jun > Mia > Eriko > Xu > Kaori > Seo
    With respect

Mens double
    In my opinion the JR/LP and Sang/Zheng is the most interesting encounter today but the group is so open.

Too close to call for comfort, any of the 7 main pairs could win the title
    Cai/Fu > Alven/Luluk > JR/LP > ML/JE > Flandi/Eng > Sang/Zheng > Ha/Yim > > Boe/Mogensen

Would love to see Sang/Zheng get their gear together. Yim Bang Eun is an interesting prospect..he seems to have partnered a few players already. More penetrating than the mysteriously absent Kim Yong Hyun but less ideas...Kim Dong Moon he is not.

Women Double
    Zhang/Yang > Lee/Lee > Gao/Huang > Zhao/Wei > Du/Yu > Saralee/Sathinee > Wong/Chin > Jiang/Li

I only put Gao/Huang 3rd in prediction of a hard game. If pushed I think they will want to rest Gao for the MXD.

Mixed double
    Zhang/Gao > Robertson/Emms > Nova/Lilyana > Chen/Zhao > Sudket/Saralee > Thomas/Kamilla> Blair/Munt > Anggun/Tetty

Robertson/Emms not my favourite couple but they are favourites for the title on paper. Like I said before there is a window of opportunity here...Zhang Jun and Gao Ling are starting to wane...maybe because no Kim/Ra to push them. The best chance for Emms/Robertson to take AE title. Not to say the others are pushovers..but if they can't take it this time..:rolleyes: Only Chinese to stand in the way ;)

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Does anyone know what time the matches are beginning today??

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    MS
    Lin Dan v Lee Hyun Il
    Wong Choong Hann v Shoji Sato
    Bao Chunlai v Chen Hong
    Lee Chong Wei v Mohd Roslin

Lin Dan wins in two straight games.

WCH loses to Sato in three. WCH hasn't been convincing, while Sato is obviously in better form than ever and has had several huge ego boosters already in this tournament.

Bao beats Chen Hong. I think we've seen the best of Chen Hong, while Bao is still delveloping.

Roslin is a "Gade killer": his defensive style is perfect against Gade's attacks. Lee Choong Wei is more an "aggressive defender", very fast, almost a bit like Sun Jun was. I think it will be a long match, but Lee will win.

MD
    Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard v Ha Tae Kwon/Yim Bang Eun
    Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng v Flandi Limpele/Eng Hian (match of the day)
    Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen v Sang Yang/Zheng Bo
    Luluk Hadiyanto/Alven Yulianto v Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen

Ha/Yim did not doo so well in the recent German Open. Sure, Ha doesn't have to prove anything to anyone, but Yim has yet to impress me as a doubles player. It seems the Danes found the ticket yesterday against Ong/Tan. Unless Jens ends up "in the pit", the Danes will win this in 2 straight games.

Sure, Eng/Flandi they don't have the same fierce attacks as Cai/Fu, but they have enough style, brains and coolness to beat the youngsters. The only hope for Cai/Fu is if they manage to keep Eng Hian away from the fourcourt and the net... but this Chinese pair has shown before that they are no tactical masterminds. Yet.

JR/Lars vs Zhang/Seng is a difficult call. I really don't know where JR/Lars are form-wise. Yesterday's match was a big win over poor opposition, so no real clues there. Zhang/Seng really failed to deliver in the German Open. I'm guessing that JR/Lars wins.

Luluk/Alven vs Mogensen/Boe is another difficult call for me, as I haven't seen these pairs enough to really "know" them. Carsten is the most talented MD player I have seen in years though, and this young Danish pair should not be taken lightly by the Indos. After having beaten Candra/Sigit convincingly, Luluk/Alven have shown that they are in great form. The Danes need to play their best and a good deal more in order to win this one. Luluk/Alven wins in two games.

XD
    Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter v Robert Blair/Natalie Munt
    Chen Qiqiu/Zhao Tingting v Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir
    Zhang Jun/Gao Ling v Sudket/Saralee
    Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms v Anggun Nugroho/Yunita Tetty

Denmark, China, China, England.

#13 Mag, Mar 11, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  14. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hmmm - all the mixed will be close matches - apart from maybe nathan and gails- i don't recognise the names of their opponents.

the other three matches will be good though.

while i'm on - does anybody know what time play is starting on saturday for the semi finals?

cheers

Neil

15. Mantap

Mantap Regular Member

Roslin's win over Gade and Sato's outstanding performance really made the AE more exciting :rolleyes:
    I hope we will have more surprises coming and not just monotonous combination of players in the end:D

16. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Play starts at 5pm Birmingham time today.

12:30 tomorrow I think, and 12:30 again on Sunday.

17. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I have nothing to complain about for the moment, we've been having lots of surprises! :):p

18. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    wow - only 5pm today - might do a dash from manchester wheni finish work at 4..

hmmm...

19. 02011953

02011953 Regular Member

Pity us in China having to wait till 1 am (local time) to see live scoring today. That is six and a half hours away. Considering how late the matches ended on the last 2 days I would have thought they would make a sensible change to the starting time which was not fixed (TBA).
    At least on Saturday and Sunday the Hong Kong people can watch live TV after dinner.Y

20. Mantap

Mantap Regular Member

Let's hope that having some underdogs in the later stages would not result in anticlimax matches