A long doubles serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by oab729, Mar 10, 2005.

1. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

Hi, how do i hit a long doubles serve, so that it can go past the baseline, and is high enough so that a 6 foot player can't get it even if he's jumping. I'm holding the birdy right, but i can only hit it about to the doubles long serviceline and it is very low. i use the backhand grip and swing my forearm forward towards the net, which is pointed down at a 45 degree angle, and then snap my wrist forward after my forearm swing like you would in an overhead swing. I hold the birdy about 1-2 cm away from my racket, and my racket is almost vertically down. What am i doing wrong?

2. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

if you try to do a long serve by serving UP, it's pretty dangerous against tall players... instead try a drive serve if you can... towards their head or backhand side...

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    A doubles high serve that goes beyond the baseline?! Isn't that a fault? Maybe that tall player doesn't know the rules and try to smash it down, but any other player would just leave it:p. Drive serve is tricky though, it has to be fast enough in order to surprise but it has to stay within the service area. One needs to keep the shuttle down when playing against tall players.

4. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

well.. i can do a flick serve just fine, i wanna have a long doubles serve for singles so i can be more deceptive with my serves and confuse them. Maybe a long doubles serve is too much. OH i wanna be able to hit it farther than the baseline in case i need to hit it higher, in which case i'd hit it closer, or just so i could comfortably do it from newhere. Thanks Your feedback was helpful

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it sounds like your are doing it correctly. make sure you are hitting the shuttle square and don't slice it.

it is just a matter of practice from this point on. have you tried taking a box of 100-200 shuttle and then practice with them repeatedly?

6. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

100-200?!? o__O!! hahaha

7. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    Wow thats a lot of birds;)! Even if a long serve or flick serve surprises the opponent, it seems for me that they can smash it with relative ease as it doesn't go over the doubles service line. It was hard for me to overcome this problem so I just practiced my short serves (only with 6 birds) while waiting for my friends at the club.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and do that a few times. ;)

we can talk and talk about how to hit it all day here, but what it really boils down to is practice and practice to gain the touch and muscle strength.

practice makes perfect, as they say...

9. oab729

oab729 Regular Member

ya, i think i'll prolly just practice my flick serve, i'm pretty sure i'm hitting it square, cuz when i slice its much lower. I need more practice with my flick serve, i'm actually afraid to use it in a doubles game because my short serve is much better, do you think i should try using it in a game? For the flick serve, it should be more of a drive right, not like a singles serve thats very high, right?Thanks for the feedback you guys.

10. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    You'd be surprise, that on paper, it sounds a lot, but that's just 10 rolls of 10 shuttles. Goes very quick in drills.

-dave