hey i was wondering how to smash and return a smash??

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by hoponpop, Mar 10, 2005.

1. hoponpop

hoponpop Regular Member

hey anyone no how?? every time i try it just ends up going far back and when someone samshes it at me i always miss it or it hits me :confused: any one no how they can help???

2. hoponpop

hoponpop Regular Member

anyone??? no at all plz i'm only 14 and i really want to mak ethe school badminton team:(

3. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    ur 14? ohhh icic just a few weeks off. ok well same age as me so i think i can probably help.
    watch how some players execute their forms. NOT professional players i'm saying junior players, ones our age. u'll notice a couple things in their forms if u look very very carefully:
    1)if properly done, they'll be raising both their racket-hand and their non-racket hand as a ready position b4 hitting a shot.
    2)if properly done, they'll swing their racket over their head and shoulders directly upwards and follow through to their non-racket hand side. eg-if ur rite handed, ur racket will go up above ur rite shoulder and stop below ur left arm.
    3)if properly done, u'll notice that they'll bring their racket foot to the front. eg-if ur rite handed, ur rite foot will step in front before/while u hit.
    4)if properly done, u'll notice that their left hand will swing to the back. i have no idea why they do this but my coach always taught me to do that:D .
    5)if properly done, u'll notice that after they hit they'll move their racket foot to the back again.
    6)if properly done, the player will be releasing their energy after they make contact with the bird. that is why a weight transfer and body rotation is required.

now...for ur smashing question. ur smashes, drops, and clears should all look alike. when u clear, u should either be hitting the bird upwards or forewards. to drop, u should be hitting the birds downward but releasing ur force and power earlier.
    now to smash....u need to watch where u hit the bird. u should be standing behind the bird to smash and at an angle where the bird will be going downwards or at least at a slant. the purpose of a smash is much like a clear shot but one that goes down. it is effective because it makes the bird hit the ground on an open court area or overcome ur opponent with speed. the smash may also be targeted at ur opponent to force an error from them.
    um....after all this i still dont think i answered ur question XD. to smash, work on ur timing so that ur hitting the bird downwards at the correct time. u have to know ur court and surroundings so ur smash goes over just 90% of the time. dont blindly be hitting a smash so power-based because chances are it wont go over. power-based smashes usually go flat.

4. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    seeing your age and location.. my coach teaches me the same way too :D maybe we haf the same coach hhehe

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sure:)

Just use the search function. Type in terms like 'smash' or 'smash return' and links to old threads will come up.

6. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

practice practice and practice. for the return i, at your age, try to block it for make a net shot but as long as you will get better try to return it in drive at the back of the court i can assure you that 50% of the time the opponent will shash it back in the net. And this is so frustrating he will loose confidence in his smash

7. wing-omega5-0

Student(uni)
    sry i forgot to post how to return a smash XD.
    while ur still learning, u should learn it properly. to return a smash, it should be done with ur backhand so for example u should bring ur backhand to ur forehand side to save a smash over there. the only exception is if u have to dive to save a smash far on the forehand side of the court. just practice these two things periodically for a good smash and good return.

8. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    just curious.. why must we save smashes with the backhand (or try to)? and ive never seen anyone save forehand smashes with their backhand.. but i dunno.. :eek:

9. wing-omega5-0

Student(uni)
    oh there is a simple explanation to that. backhand is considered defensive. also, if u learn the concept of saving all smashes with ur backhand, u'll find that its more effective because a backhand lift is stronger then an underhand lift. backhand is also easier to move across ur body. u'll notice that if u try to move ur underhand to ur backhand side u'll feel incredibly awkward. when u master the concept of returning smashes with the backhand u wont have the handicap of a weak return with ur underhand because u'll be used to returning smashes with ur backhand by bringing it out front.
    also when u do pure-backhand driving drills, the backhand is very effective for hard and flat shots because it requires more wrist motion then ur forehand. this is also a way to practice ur backhand lifting-wrist power as saving a smash like this is pretty much the same concept.

one more thing. u'll notice that in doubles, professionals will save downward smashes coming to them with their backhand.

10. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    thanks for the advice.. i guess i have to be more observant next time :cool:

i still cant imagine saving smashes coming to your right, using ur backhand tho.. im more used to seeing forehand in that case :confused:maybe its just me.. haha

11. wing-omega5-0

Student(uni)
    dude wuts ur msn? pm me....

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Don't believe everything you read ;) Just because someone here tells you "this is the right way", doesn't mean he is right.

Many players use this method to defend against smashes. Even some top international players use it. That doesn't mean it is the best method. Preparing with the backhand is a gamble. You *can* use it on the forehand side, but your shots will be weaker and their variety will be restricted.

I believe it is better to prepare with a neutral grip - neither forehand nor backhand - so that you can hit shots on both sides. This is the method that Lee Jae Bok teaches; one of his better videos on www.ibbs.tv deals with returning the smash.

Of course, you shouldn't believe what I say just because I tell you I'm right. Choose whom you want to believe, but never stop thinking of the reasons for choosing one technique over another. If someone fails to explain well enough to overcome your objections, then perhaps you're not wrong - and he is!

13. wing-omega5-0

Student(uni)
    good point brought up by gollum. though this is the way i learned to return smashes i adapted it because it was the one i saw top players return smashes. most of my shots were adapted from high level players but it may not work for u guys or the entire world-class level of play may be wrong XD.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Copying world-class players is a good way to improve your technique; but not everything that every player does is a good idea to copy.

Even world-class players have bad habits. I believe that holding the backhand for a smash is an example. Many top level players do this; unsurprisingly, it causes a slight weakness in their game. Only very slight, of course - because they are so good in so many other ways.

If every top player did this, then I would concede that it had to be right. Who am I to argue with the best players in the world? But this is not the case. Many top players do NOT prepare on the backhand.

Indeed, it seems to me that the players with the best defence do not prepare with the backhand. Look at the Korean mens' doubles players; they have perhaps the best defence in the world. In particular, they are very good at turning defence into attack. The Korean style of defending usually does not rely on a backhand bias. I believe this allows them to play a greater variety of shots more often, so that they can choose a shot that fits the gap in their opponents' position.

#14 Gollum, Mar 12, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  15. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

when you prepare with the backhand, you become very vulnerable to a smash direct to you heart :p i think the best way is to keep the racquet in a very central position (left to right) but also up to down. I mean if the smash is too high your F***** up if you prepare with a low racquet and you can always bend your knee. IMO you should prepare with your body low and you racquet like that
    [​IMG]

this way you can defent on both side and rapidly get you racquet up if needed