HELP!!! Badminton Shops In Canada?????Online or Not

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by cityhunter, Mar 11, 2005.

1. cityhunter

cityhunter Regular Member

I'm really desparate to find some badminton shops up here in Canada. I live in Manitoba, and the only real shop we have is down at the Winter Club in Winnipeg, even there I don't always find what I'm looking for (string wise, racquets also) I purchased my Ti-10 off the net, and it was fairly quick and simple since I was torn between a Ti-10 and Mp99 and at the Winter Club they wanted $265 canadaian for the Mp99 unstrung! I got the Ti-10 for $185 Canadian strung. When the string went in it, I was forced to take it into Winnipeg to the Winter Club (the only store I know of in manitoba) where i paid $27Can. to get the racquet restrung with Bg65, which seemed rediculously steep considering I only paid 10US to get it prestrung when I bought it off the net (with Bg-68Ti). So my question is, are there any US internet shops that can ship products to Canada, and also any of you Canadian players know of any major stores that ship to other provinces, or are there any other stores in manitoba. Also, I have been with Yonex string since day one, what are some other brands and models that are just as good or can compete, I have been using BG65 and am looking at switching over to either Bg85 or Bg66, any suggestions?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    what weight and grip size of mp99 u r looking for?

stringing cost usually cost less when u r buying a racket with it.

27 CAD for bg65 is quite normal in canada at retail level.
    freelance stringer can do it for ~20 tho.

#2 cooler, Mar 11, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  3. cityhunter

I'm not looking for an Mp99 anymore as I have my ti-10 now, I purchased it through a fellow off the net who buyd from hong kong, so I know thats why it would be way cheaper also, I was just wondering if anyone has a list of online shops/links that can sell/deal with Canadians.

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    There are a number of stores located in Canada that are online. E.g., in Toronto, Lee's Badminton (www.leesbadminton.ca). You just have to search for the major cities (Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto).

In Victoria, you have courtsides (www.courtsides.com).

For restringing, you are paying for both the string and stringing labour which on averages runs you about $12 (labour) and another $15 for the string.

5. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
  6. frankcent

frankcent Regular Member

I have only dealt with courtsidesports.com for restringing and grip purchasing. if you want to buy rackets, strings in bulky quantity or other expensive accessories, you can buy from bbesports.com, which is located in china.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    what string u get for that price?

8. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    hmm i got BG 65 strung in ClearOne (Richmond, BC) for $18 tax inc. :D and the color was light blue.. haha never seen that color of string b4.. :cool:

9. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    I can help

Hi, I just sent u a PM. I can help you as I was in the same predicament as you before. However, I've found a few places that are way cheaper than the Winter Club.

10. cityhunter

PM'd you back, let me know when you receive.

11. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

12. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    That's pretty normal lol, it's $18 here in Ontario too...

Go try BG88ti :D

And tell me if it's under $20

13. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    haha i think the only string under $20 here is BG 65.. :p i have tried BG 68-Ti in taiwan a long time ago.. didn't like it so got it restrung recently :D i like BG 65

14. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Stringing for less than 20$

Hmm... well, sports experts, Tennis Selection, and a bunch of other places charge 25$+ but at

http://www.racketsportsmontreal.ca/EnglPages/Stringing.htm

it's always cheaper than 20$, strings and labor included. That's anything up to BG-85. Considering that I'm their stringer, I get it for even cheaper.:D

15. silentlight

silentlight Regular Member

student/programmer
    Yeah, for those in Montréal, try www.racketsportsmontreal.ca, I don't know the exact prices they charge for stringing but I'm sure they're cheaper than most if not all retail stores. Actually, I'd say that's true for everything else they sell and not just for stringing services. They sell SOTX racquets, they actually lent me a SOTX Woven 8 for a few days and I really liked that racquet. I normally use my mp99s but when they break, I can totally see myself using a Woven 8. I've never tried SOTX racquets before and it's kinda opened my eyes to Yonex alternatives, before then, I haven't really tried any non-Yonex racquets that I liked.

#15 silentlight, Mar 21, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Shipping from US to CAN could result in additional duty tax, if using UPS or FEDEX. If possible, ask them to use USPS (us postal) instead.

17. flounder_

flounder_ New Member

Pathetic Badminton Options in Winnipeg

I too play badminton in Winnipeg and am shocked by the little options there are. As far as I can see, there are two places to get your raquet restrung. The Winterclub or Sportchek. Now, my hesitation with Sportchek is that I would think that you've got some 15 year old punk restringing your racquet whose probably hung over or whatever the case may be. However, I'm hoping that they'd hire somebody with a little experience. Sportchek charges $10 for labour, plus $12.50 for a bulk amount of string. If you need your grommets replaced that was another $5.00. I don't know what kind of string they use, there is no point telling me for the sense that it would make. I'm not familiar. It is however a white string with a red and white pin-stripe. The problem with the Winterclub, along with being treated like white trash, they charge (or I was quoted) $25.00, but if you need the grommets done, it's $5.00 for all of them I believe. I have 2 racquets that need to be restrung and the thought of paying over $50.00 for the two of them is not appealing as I break a string every 2 months of consecutive play. I don't get it. Anyway, my solution to this problem is this. I found this website which so far I have found fantastic! www.courtsidesports.com. If you go to the link here: http://www.courtsidesports.com/store/store.asp?action=show_product&prodcode=207 you can see what it was that I ordered. I don't know if it's a good string or not, but this is more of an experiment anyway. I paid $11 and change for twice as much string as I would be able to purchase here for half the price. So, when it comes in, I'm taking my racquets to Sportchek to pay just the $10.00 labour, which apparently they do.
    Alternatively, there are places that restring racquets for schools, you could try them maybe, I know one is www.physed.ca, I believe.
    I hope that helps!

18. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Winter club is expensive, I agree

I agree with you about the Winter Club. However, I'm a little luckier as my stringer here charges only C$15 for a BG65Ti including labour.

19. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    at the sportschek here in richmond, they sell yonex strings for $15-20, and $10 for labour.. dont know if its the same there. the strings you ordered, im not sure about, because i never hear people talk about that string here on BF, but if u were to order again i would say yonex's BG 65 is a safe bet, because it's pretty cheap, durable, and a good all round string.. some people like other strings for different purposes though, so you might want to experiment with differen't strings

cheers

20. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

That does sound about average. I just got a few racquets strung at the local stringer and it was $14 labour only.