Switching from doubles...to SINGLES?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by GiGaChip, Mar 11, 2005.

1. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

This entry might take a while, because it has a lot to do with background stuff. However, I would really appreciate if someone would help me with their thoughts, I don't post often, but when I do, it's usually pretty long lol. Thanks.

I'm a doubles freak, my mentality is solely on doubles, and have never trained in anything but doubles. However, today, the head coach of my high school badminton team said that I might be put to play singles. This really did shock me, because first, I have horrible endurace, my footwork is not use to traveling at diagonal up and down footwork, and I solely defend best in doubles, because its defending half court, not full court. What is even more surprising, my coach told me to play a match against my OWN DOUBLES PARTNER (he's actually a long term singles player, but sometimes switches between the two.) in order to see who will play at the first league game for doubles number 2. Well, it didn't go very well, and of course I lost 6-15, 6-15. Not surprising. But even AFTER I lost, the coach still said I might play singles still O_O I've devoted most of my time watching so many doubles videos, and really getting the hang of the rotation and developing anticpation and tactics for doubles. Now singles? I know it's not for SURE, but it sure does surprise me. I recently played with a new partner, who I at first thought would play with me permantely, because we worked well and he is a stronger player than my previous partner (who plays singles too). However, this sudden "you might play singles" really does make me suspicious. Are they testing to see which partner is the better with who? I honestly think my original partner is weaker than my new partner, and that my original partner should play singles, not me. What do you guys think, and what would you do? I think I should just agree and let them "experiment" but it sure does mess up my thinking lol. I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks guys.

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Just go with the flow

Singles is good. I always feel alot better about my footwork after a game of singles mixed in with a session full of doubles:). Don't worry about your coach's plans, you don't really have much control over it. Just go with it and have fun. Worst case scenario... you get stuck with doubles or singles:p. Either way, you're still part of the team:D.

You got poor endurance? Play and practice more singles and your endurance will improve. It's more fun than doing repetitive calisthenics or running:p!

#2 cappy75, Mar 12, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  3. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    i've got poor endurance too but the best players can play all 3 different events. personally i used to play singles all the time even with my lack of endurance. then i got into mixed and finally into doubles. the thing is, in skool games, 6/8 players on ur team would be playing doubles.
    the biggest mentality change for me is that in doubles, my coach tells me to force a lift because i've got one of the best smashes in my age group. in singles, i have to clear to move my opponent around and move quickly side to side. its not a rushing game in singles but a strategy game.

4. gkwok

gkwok Regular Member

Project Manager
    I've played doubles, mixed, and singles.

I found that there is something to learn and benefit from each.

I would embrace the opportunity. :)

5. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    Maybe your coach see something in you that the other 2 dont have? keke..
    Like.. you've got the best stroke and shuttle placement out of the 2 guys?
    So there could be room for improvement who knows? :D
    Single more fun and less stranious to the body.. thats what I reckon...

(ps. I have seriously sprain my back after playing doubles hardout... too many smashes and leaping....)

6. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i know what you mean... i'm playing all 3 discipline too. and it's true, all 3 will just make u a better player! especially singles and mixed (for a guy) because u feel that you are the one in charge! u need to make something happen! win or lose is u! your partner cant do that no moree!

7. bhatman

bhatman Regular Member

Student
    I had the same thing back when I was a freshman, only backwards, I was playing singles!!! My coach told me to play doubles. I would not regret it. Singles helps you work on reaching for that stray bird or seeing that its in or out [ still get bird vision!!] I would say that singles help you in doubles and allow you to take control if your partner messes up. I have seen many double players go to singles and do pretty well without their partner and not needing to rely on their other man. It all depends on the player and how he can cover the court.

8. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    I love singles! You can really test out your skills knowing that it isnt your partner that helps our gets the points. Endurance? why not try taking up some light running:). If you're interested, you can go to www.runnersworld.com A thirty minute walk might even be sufficient. Our situations are the opposite. I'm not a really big fan of doubles. My primary problem is communication with my partner (don't you just hate it when they land the shuttle right in the middle?).

9. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

Hey, it's me again. Well I played the singles game today. But before I tell u the results, this is actually my question. Ok, so a few days ago I posted about whether switching from doubles to singles was a good idea. The next day, we had a game in which I thought I was going to play singles. Turns out the school is one of the lowest in our leagues, and therefore I belive the coach didn't put me as a singles player, because I'd have a pretty good chance at winning doubles, which we did. I thought that having the coach making me play singles was a good thing, because they saw something "good in me" or "potential" but I now believe it was all just a "strategic maneuver" to win games against the school we played today, which is either #2 or #3 in the league. We're just below them. Why did the coaches do that? Well, this "school" has this level B player, he's a pro for singles, and the coaches knowing that even IF we put our best singles player against him, they would not win. Therefore, why not put the better experienced players on doubles to win 4 games, and put me (a doubles player) on singles, because either way we're going to lose against the pro. OF COURSE I lost, 0-15, 1-15, and number 2 was 4-15, 6-15. Not bad, considering that i NEVER played an official league game as singles. It just bugs me that they could have just let me play doubles like normal, because I think I would have won anyway. My original partner and new partner played together. They played very well, but it just kinda bugs when I could have done the same thing, and my original partner could have played singles, even if he loses (he's a singles player too). I asked the coach today "Will I be playing singles or doubles the next game [tomorrow]). He said "we'll switch you around." I wasn't too happy with this reply, either put me permanently as singles, or as doubles. I just think it's unfair for me to be the guinea pig in the team...I wish to play doubles permanently, but I don't know if that will happen...the coach says "we need consistency" Well how can we be consistent if we keep switching our positions? what do you guys think?

10. Baminton_junkie

Baminton_junkie Regular Member

Floor Layer
    Easy

When your changing from doubles to singles there is two things you need to be aware of....

1. Where the court lines are because your footwork will be different

2. Know what kind of style of play you use for single (use the article about styles to get a good idea)

Otherwise just practice like every one says, "Games are the BEST Practices"

Oh yah btw you may want to get a more allround or offensive raquet eg. Armourtec 800 bit pricey but if your really into the sport its a decent buy.

#10 Baminton_junkie, Mar 16, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

GiGaChip,

You're part of the team. Everybody do what they did to win... including your coach, so you gotta understand his action for putting you as his designated sacrificial lamb. Don't feel bad about it cuz at the end of the day you guys got the job done. Rather than just bitch about it, learn as much as you can from your experience. In due time and effort, you'll be the PRO others hate to play against:)!

12. gkwok

gkwok Regular Member

Project Manager
    Limbo

Keep your mind open.

since it is troubling you (as it would I), and at this time we dont' know the full reason for your coach's decision, I would approach him and ask how he sees you fitting in the team.

But think about the game you just played, you had a great opportunity. You played with high ranking players. To me that is a previlege in itself and always a great way to learn, and a chance to improve your game.

Ask your coach or team mates about your game, they might be able to point out some areas that need to work on, or areas to stay focus on during the game.

I go on to saying; play more doubles, mixed and singles, and you'll notice you'll have more in your bag of badminton tricks.

13. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

LOL, hello cappy75, I appreciate you and others replying,
    "sacrificial lamb" I luv ur metaphors, well at the end we lost the game by ONE MATCH. It was a pretty close one too...I did learn a lot though. LOL yes, be a pro in less than 2 months of what is left of the season lol, i'll try thanks for the encouragement. Our team should have won that game, even though I lost, I think it IS excusable since I'm not a singles player myself; However, I wish I could have been better prepared mentally for the match, my original partner was, but to his disappointment was playing doubles...he wasn't too happy until he won his doubles games lol.

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

*Shake head* This is not a good perspective to have. When you finished school and come out to the working world, you will have to be 'part of the team' and work with others. Being in the team is a great learning opportunity. Win as a team, shine with the team. Let your coach make all the coaching decisions, worry just what shots to make when you get the chance and nothing else. This will simplify your life so much.

I think you have to ponder why you're in the team or even the sport in the first place. Your objective should be to continue development as a player, not just for the season or to show off to girls, but because you love the sport. Think long term... or life long (even better). As you continue at it, you will eventually reap the reward of your efforts. As for your team, do your best and you won't have any regrets. Trust me... the longer and more involved you're in the sport, the more you'll appreciate it:).

#14 cappy75, Mar 17, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2005