Illegal movement?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jester, Mar 12, 2005.

1. jester

jester Regular Member

If my opponent moves before I hit the shuttle during service, is it illegal? Some players try to catch the shuttle very early so they try to lunge forward before I actually serve. I don't notice the umpire calling it a "fault".:(

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

He must keep some part of both feet on the ground until the shuttle is struck. He must not drag a foot, or lift it totally from the floor. He can shift his weight, extend his arm, and so on.

It's a dubious advantage for someone to cheat, anyway. All you have to do is flick the shuttle over his head if you see this.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

mustn't move from "start of service" until "service is delivered"

look for the laws of badminton on www.intbadfed.org or worldbadminton.net

there is a special section all about serving

4. Pball

Pball Regular Member

hi jester.. that would be a fault, I think, the problem with our umpires here is that they lack training. Also I have talked to some umpires about the serving above the waist fault, and they answered me.."ah so you want us to be THAT strict... " DUH!!! As if they is any other way to call it..
    most disappointing.. :mad:

5. tsinkoy

tsinkoy Regular Member

scientist, badminton fan(atic) and volleyball fan(
    i think it is a fault. ever since i started playing in tournaments, it's always been the rule for the receiving side to not move before the service is done, as it gives an unfair advantage to the receiving side, especially with short serves. although, I would think that at a higher level of play, this would be idiotic, since the server could always just serve it high and back.

6. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Actually you can move (a fair amount) during the period defined as "start of service" until shuttle contact ("service is delivered") just as long as neither foot slides from it original position or is lifted completely off the floor as Gollum has indicated. (Check this link for the "service definitions").

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

After you are set, the first moment of your racquet is consider the starting of service. If your opponent move before your racquet move, it is a fault. After your racquet move, if he moons you without moving or sliding of his feet or lift any of his feet completly off the ground, it is not a fault. And if he moons and you still lost the point, you sucks...

8. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    Hi all, lots of different interpretations here. Neil is spot on (as usual)

your opponent is allowed to move from beginning of your service.

The beginning of your service is defined at the first forward motion of the racquet. neither server or receiver can move the position of their feet( no sliding or lifting from the ground - but raising onto toes etc is permissible) until the shuttle is hit/missed (delivery of service)

i know this to be true since i've seen receivers faulted at the nationals and the all england for moving too early. basically the server moved his racquet backwards then stopped momentarily - the receiver set off and the umpire called a fault.

Specific examples that you can find - Candra Wijaya receiving rom Haryanto in the MD AE 2002(? i think) final. Haryanto flicks, but Candra sets off forward when haryanto pauses after the backward motion. Fault receiver.

i saw a similar stunt pulled at the Nationals this year. i think it was chris langrdridge who was caught out. he didn't take it very well. i won't go into detail.

hope this makes sense

Neil

#8 coops241180, Mar 17, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Should be AE2001 Final (Sigit/Candra Vs Tony/Halim). AE2002 was Ha/Kim Vs Flandy/Eng