All-England Finals

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by hcyong, Mar 12, 2005.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This is it. It boils down to this, but somehow, all the excitement climaxed in the QFinals, drops a bit in the SFinals and wanes in the Final.

MS
    Lin Dan v Chen Hong
    Neither played their best in the SFinals, but Lin normally dictates the game. It is when he feels too comfortable that he starts to lose it a bit. He needs to keep it in focus all the time. His left knee is strapped and I think his mobility is a bit affected.
    Prediction: Lin Dan

WS
    Zhang Ning v Xie Xingfang
    Zhang was stretched to three games by Hirose, while Xie beat Mia in straight games. The momentum seems to be with Xie at the moment.
    Prediction: Xie Xingfang

MD
    Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen v Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng
    This is the match of the Finals. Paaske/Rasmussen played a good solid match against Luluk/Alven. I haven't seen Cai/Fu play for quite some time, but based on their recent results, they are on a roll. Just like Xie, they have the momentum.
    Prediction: Cai/Fu

WD
    Gao Ling/Huang Sui v Wei Yili/Zhao Tingting
    It may seem that the final was played when Gao/Huang defeated Yang/Zhang. Wei/Zhao showed some good form when they soundly beat Du/Yu and then Saralee/Sathinee.
    Prediction: Gao/Huang

XD
    Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms v Thomas Laybourn/Kamilla Rytter Juhl
    Both pairs played exciting matches in the SFinals and all indications show that the Final will be as pulsating. I think it will boil down to a slug between Emms and Juhl. Somehow, they don't do as well in the women's doubles but do very well in the mixed doubles, having no problems retrieving hard smashes.
    Prediction: Laybourn/Juhl

I remember someone saying that the winners of the German Open will find it hard in the All-England. Well, with the exception of the XD event, they are all in the Final and the favourites to win as well.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

hcyong,
    you're baiting me...:).
    well, i was the one who mentioned that, after the German Open finals.
    I did say "the winners of the German Open will find it hard in the AE and most likely won't win the AE". However, I never disregard any chance of the German Open winners to win back-to-back at the AE. I was basing my gut feelings on how much amount of energy(physically, mentally as well as emotionally) spent on the court will affect their performance, esp. over 2 straight hard fought weeks.

As far as the MS, I have a feeling it will go 3 sets. Why??LD has played the most matches so far the last 2 weeks, esp. in the AE SF against WCH, stretched to rubber set. On the other hand, CH won the SF match in 2 sets. Winner, it could go either way(both have a 2-2 record vs. each other), depends who has the stamina to last 3 sets. But wouldn't be surprise to see a straight sets victory for either one.
    For WS, this is it, I'm looking at Zhang Ning to take it home finally.
    For MD, it's really a toss up. My gut feeling says rubber set(record says they've never played each other). But I'm looking for JR&LP to take it home. Why??They're the 'fresher' pair, while Cai/Fu have played more games.
    For WD......2 Chinese pairs playing against each other...hmm, Gao/Huang can win back-to-back tourneys..
    For XD, this should be one entertaining match. Emms/Robertson playing against an unknown pair, in front of their noisy homecrowd will be eager to prove to "every critics"(us BCers/BFers) wrong. Perhaps they could do it this time.

BTW, did you all noticed, none of the Chinese will be participating in the upcoming Swiss Open(next week). So the tournament is quite open, esp. to the Indonesians to win at least in 2 fields, MD and XD.

#2 ctjcad, Mar 12, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  3. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    My prediction AE2005 Final :
    MS :
    Lee Chong Wei beat Wong Choon Hann in 3 sets. Ops, I meant Chen Hong beat Lin Dan in 3 rubber. Better have my coffee first :)

WS :
    Zhang Ning beat Xie Xinfang in rubber; Zhang Ning has a lot to prove at her age and will go all the way out in fighting.

MD :
    Paaske/Rasmussen beat Fu/Cai in rubber. If the Danish play to their capabilities and less errors than the chance is there.

WD :
    Gao/Huang beat Zhao/Wei in 2 sets. I find it hard to generate any interest in this matchup.

XD :
    Robertson/Emm beat Laybourn/Juhl in 2 sets

4. prince_user

prince_user Regular Member

Predictions

MS

For once, with Lin Dan in the final I call this a tossup with it leaning toward Lin Dan. Chen Hong has something to prove and what better venue than the All England.

WS

As I mentioned before Xie Xingfang is on fire so again I call this a tossup. Any other tournament and I would call it for Xie Xingfang but this is the All England, a tournament which Zhang Ning has never won and this is probably the last chance she will get. Fearless prediction: Zhang Ning to provide the icing on a fine career.

WD

Gao/Huang. 'Nuff said

MD

Fu/Cai. Although I love the way Rasmussen/Paaske play, they seem too inconsistent to win this one. But who knows, they could just play brilliantly and prove me wrong.

XD

Robertson/Emms. In front of a home crowd, they will probably win this one. Am hoping and praying they lose but probably won't be the case.

5. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    MS - Lin Dan
    Easy pick

WS - Xie
    Has to pick Xie every time becuase she and I have the same last name, and same hometown - actually my parent's hometown.

MD - Paaske/Rasmussen
    Tough pick - but they may following their countrymen's footstep last year.

WD - Gao Ling/Huang Sui
    Easy pick

XD - Laybourn/Juhl
    After reading Nation/Emm's article about Asian, I have to pick their opponents whoever they are.

6. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    MS - This is probably the first time I would not point the win to Lin Dan easily. Lin's past 2 matches leading to the final took a combined 178 minutes which should be wearing on him even if he is made of steel. As well, he hasn't seemed to be playing his normal level after being taken to 3 sets so many times, even against lesser opponents like Kasper Oedum. But then again, he's been known to go to game 3 and then take the victory. Chen also had to play long matches 'specially against Bao but it's precisely his past two victories that I think he may have a legitmate chance at title. Most probably thot Bao woulda advanced by him and then when he made semis, I even thot Lee CW would take it. Chen surprised us all and may do so again tomorrow - perhaps a good thing for Chinese MS to show they have the depth once again.

WS - Xie XF is unbeatable right now. Zhang Ning just lost to her at GO relatively easily and has been taken to rubber set twice during the tourney whereas Xie's destroyed all opposition and her victory over Mia in semis is just one small indication of that. Xie in 2 straight.

MD - Definitely most exiciting match of they day. The tension will be incredibly high. Fu/Cai may just get revenge for their compatriats Sang/Zheng (who marginally lost to JR/LP) but they must play with their usual fast pace and minimize errors. Whoever wins, should win in 3 sets.

WD - Gao/Huang without a question. Zhao/Wei still are only #3 in the Chinese WD lineup. At best, they can only try and minimize the scale of defeat.

XD - I'm definitely cheering for Laybourn/Juhl here. The national champions have shown great consistency throughout the week, especially knocking out compatriats and #1 seeds Eriksen/Schjoldager with ease. But as others already preivously stated, the English are on home ground and definitely have momentum and motivation behind them. Should be a tough 3 set thriller

Also, on a side note with regards to XD, I think China definitely has to anaylyze where they're failing recently. Zhang/Gao are no longer the "team to beat besides Kim/Ra." I think Zhang is way past his prime. The most promising CHN pair appears to be Xie/Yu at the moment.

7. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

What did they say about Asians? I guess it's not something nice. :rolleyes:

8. chinadoll

chinadoll Regular Member

again.... i go for the chinese couples :D

they have won Denmark 2004, German 2004, China 2004, German 2005 together..... and maybe this All England 2005 too :D

9. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

MS:
    I am glad to see this all-England MS final becomes all-Fujianese MS final. :)
    Lin Dan to win, as he is the cunny one while Chen Hong is not as flexible.

WS:
    Hope Zhang Ning win, as Xie has a lot more chances to win. But I feel Xie will still win this one. Besides more stamina, Xie is becoming a nemesis for Zhang Ning recently.

MD:
    Cai/Fu to win.

WD: Gao/Huang.

MX:
    Hope Not Robertson/Emms. And I do think they might have some mental weaknesses for others to explore. :crying:

10. 02011953

02011953 Regular Member

My predictions went slightly awry in the SF: LCW and Alven/Luluk going out to CH and Rass/Passke, respectively, in identical fashion - lafter leading comfortably in every set. The others were as expected.

Lin Dan/Chen Hong. LD is not in top form and opponents may be learning to counter his game - 3x3 setters is hard work, not slaying the opponent. Cheng H in phenomenal 4th Final - but lost two of those as his mind drifted away half way through the match. Hope he makes it this time which may be his last as he now lacks consistency and opportunity may not come in this kind again.

Cai-Fu/Rass-Paaske. Cai-Fu to make a breakthrough. Luluk/Alven have streaked ahead in tourney wins in a shorter time - time Cai-Fu win a major to justify so much support. Weakness - solid and reliable - the result of hard graft. Lack inventive touch of genius (see Alven's several short angled net fades to the tramm lines?). I may not get what I like.

Zhang/Xie as predicted.Xie ascendancy to continue - when top players start beating an unbeatable higher-ranked player (Zhang-ZhouMi 0-7 at one stage) they usually have a run and I expect Xie dominance. But Zhang is a doughty old girl. 3 tough matches is good training but says something about her state of mind and game. Has marriage blunted her sting?

Gao-Huang/Wei-Zhao as predicted. Gao/Huang as predicted, if Gao on top of her net game and because Wei-hao have never beaten them. Wei-Zhao beat others because of their immense training regime but they lack tactical savvy and a killing stroke.

Robertson-Emms/ --Juhl. It was open. Although the Indos played awful in the SF, the Englanders have been the most consistent in AE. They could satisfy the many who have come to dislike them by suffering another 'crise de confiance' as in Germany against the unranked Koreans. But maybe not. Y[​IMG]

11. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    Come on Thomas!

12. 02011953

02011953 Regular Member

I wonder if you know what that means!! y

13. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

i thought chen hong played brilliantly in yesterday's match. he's still my choice for the winner. but he'll know it's gonna be really really hard to snuff lindan. either way, i won't get upset with the final result . :)

for MD, wow, lars/jonas played extremely well last night. i was supporting this pair then, but now.. cai/fu, come ON, i have faith in you! :cool: don't give in without a fight, alright..

WS: i have a strong preference for zhang ning to be winner.

WD: again i favor the veterans.

XD: call it prejudism if ya like. though i've never seen laybourn/juhl play, but i'm on their side.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I tend to agree with hcyong except for the XD, which I think the English pair will win. I thought their reaction, movement, understanding and speed during the semis should see them through.

Zhang Ning has always been my favourite but this time it will be very difficult for her to beat her younger compatriot, Xie, who seems to be in top form recently. Unfortunately didn't see them in action during last night's live telecast which went past 2 am (?) Singapore time, for the last MS match.

Lin Dan is still my choice for the MS. I agree he seems a little disturbed by his strapped left leg and his mobility against WCH seemed a little slow. But I thought he displayed enough patience to outlast even Chen Hong when they meet today. CH will have to dig deep into his resources, paticularly his experience against LD. CH did very well in this aspect to outwit LCW yesterday.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am going to put down my predictions before i head to bed. hopefully waking up early enough to catch the action here.

MS: logic says Lin would win. but my heart says don't care as they are both Chinese.

WS: heart jumping 200 saying that Xie should win. mind says 50/50 game as Zhang seems to be a bit off form while Xie is on fire.

MD: oh dear. this will be a tough one. i do wish that JR/LP can win this one. but what i really hope is that all 4 players will give us a treat of the best MD badminton, which they are very much capable of. 55/45 for JR/LP.

WD: mind Huang/Gao. Wei/Zhao is 1/2 a class below their standard. but heart says let those two win a big tournament once in a while.

XD: heart says 150% Laybourn/Juhl.

16. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

hehe, why your heart only does not care about ms. ws, wd are also between chinese.:D

17. mikki

mikki Regular Member

i think the chinese team once again will be dominating the tournament, let's wait and see

18. 02011953

02011953 Regular Member

China's XD raised by Hugo's last paragraph

Zhang is 27 and Gao 25 - about the time China puts stars out to grass. ChenQQ-ZhaoTT became No.2 after many trial pairings in 2001-03, They even tried Zhengbo and ShangYang (2000 WJC MD together and XD champions and r-u) but it was too distracting for the No.2 MD for which they being groomed. Chen is 27 and Zhao 22 - Morgensen-Olsen 21-30 (?), but Chen is no Morgensen who is unexpectedly and quite original in mid-court.

XieZhongbo/YuYang is No.3, preferred over GuoZhendong/DuJing. All were 2002/2004 WJC MD, WD,XD with various other partners and are around 20 or less. Played the minor circuit (French, Polish, satelites) in 2004 with many juniors and most ended in the 2004 WJC.

Zhang-Gao are needed for the Sudirman Cup and WC but after that,Gao will play WD and wait for Chen Hong but will need a new XD partner like ZhangYawen, WD world ranked No.4 (WJC in XD with ShangYang in 2000). I expect Guo/Du will play more then.

There seems to be a plan years ahead, but Zhang/Gao are falling faster than expected while Xie/Yu are not quite ready.[​IMG] Y

19. Richard_S

Richard_S New Member

What is it that everyone has against the British pairing? If you read the article properly there is no slagging of other countries, in fact quite the opposite when Emms says that she would like the crowds to be more like the wild crowds of the East. Stop mis-quoting them please!

Is there anything else people have against them?

Call it home support if you like but I for one will be cheering for them to win. British badminton could really do with theis!

:)

20. Togey

Togey Regular Member

as much as I'd like to think british badminton will progress, I don't think it will until badminton coverage gets beyond just Sky sports tbh