User Tag List

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Results 290 to 299 of 299
  1. #290
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anatolii
    *chuckles* well, no uproar was caused this time.
    I think Jane Hancock gave Malaysian Lee Wan Wah a yellow card for slow play during last year's AE. He and his then partner, Choong Tan Fook, were on the verge of an historic victory (a long time since a Malaysian pair has won the AE Final) against Danes, Jens Eriksen and Martin Lundgaard Hansen. But that commotion and controversial decision by the umpire during a crucial stage of the second game completely shattered the Malaysians' nerves to enable the Danes to win easily in the rubber, 15-9, 13-15, 3-15. See what a 'nasty' umpire can do to a player's game!

  2. #291
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    3,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Another way of looking at it would be to say that the Malaysians did that to themselves.

    Anyway, we are NOT reviving that old discussion again.

    If you want to know more about that call, there's plenty to be found by using the "search" function.

  3. #292
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    m'sia
    Posts
    190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mag
    Another way of looking at it would be to say that the Malaysians did that to themselves.

    Anyway, we are NOT reviving that old discussion again.

    If you want to know more about that call, there's plenty to be found by using the "search" function.
    the way i see it, no one is trying to revive 'that old discussion'.

    so, calm your nerves down, Mag. life is too short to get upset over every little thing.

  4. #293
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    3,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I am very calm, thank you. And by the way, I wasn't refering to you. Your post was an (unintentional) open invitation to others to join in the "flame Hancock game", though.

  5. #294
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    -
    Posts
    687
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mag
    And by the way, I wasn't refering to you. Your post was an (unintentional) open invitation to others to join in the "flame Hancock game", though.
    Then you must be referring to me. It was not my intention to revive the old discussion nor to cause any unnecessary uproar in the forum. I was just slightly surprised to see her, that's all. I apologise to eveyone.

  6. #295
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by *izzyC*
    Sorry if this is mentioned before, but did any of you guys notice that Jane Hancock was one of the service judge during the final? If I'm not mistaken, she was the service judge for the men doubles match...
    I took another look at the incident and am quite certain that you are actually right!

    The first time I saw the replay, the cameras zoomed in on the line judge (the smiling big lady) who wore red and I was misled into thinking she was the service judge. The service judge, just like the umpire, wore an apple green shirt but at the time of the incident, Jane Hancock's face was not in the picture. As a decision is made on service, only the service judge and not the linejudge can make the call.

    This time the umpire, Michael Dahl, overruled Jane Hancock, and rightly so. She had made a mistake as the replay confirmed that Cai's serve was short. Although Jane's pic was not shown during the controversy, I heard her name being mentioned by the lady commentator (Gillian?). And during the prize presentation ceremony, I think she was standing by the side of the umpire Dahl, who was in the limelight instead.

  7. #296
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lymm, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    I took another look at the incident and am quite certain that you are actually right!

    The first time I saw the replay, the cameras zoomed in on the line judge (the smiling big lady) who wore red and I was misled into thinking she was the service judge. The service judge, just like the umpire, wore an apple green shirt but at the time of the incident, Jane Hancock's face was not in the picture. As a decision is made on service, only the service judge and not the linejudge can make the call.

    This time the umpire, Michael Dahl, overruled Jane Hancock, and rightly so. She had made a mistake as the replay confirmed that Cai's serve was short. Although Jane's pic was not shown during the controversy, I heard her name being mentioned by the lady commentator (Gillian?). And during the prize presentation ceremony, I think she was standing by the side of the umpire Dahl, who was in the limelight instead.
    hang on - so who did the umpire overrule - the call for whether the shuttle was in or out should have been by the linejudge for the service line.

    i doubt jane would have seen where it landed because as service judge she should be watching the servers action. I would sincerely hope that jane hadn't had to make a call at all because she couldn's possibly have seen it. The umprire however should have since he is watching both server and reciever for movement during delivery of the service.

    anyway - reckon we've gone a bit off topic her. lol - the AE has been finished for ages, and the swiss open has finished now too - whats the next tourney?

  8. #297
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Cannock, UK
    Posts
    2,908
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meeya
    did she umpire any of the matches?
    I'm pretty sure she umpired during QF or SF

  9. #298
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    KL & Sg
    Posts
    5,315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    I took another look at the incident and am quite certain that you are actually right!

    The first time I saw the replay, the cameras zoomed in on the line judge (the smiling big lady) who wore red and I was misled into thinking she was the service judge. The service judge, just like the umpire, wore an apple green shirt but at the time of the incident, Jane Hancock's face was not in the picture. As a decision is made on service, only the service judge and not the linejudge can make the call.

    This time the umpire, Michael Dahl, overruled Jane Hancock, and rightly so. She had made a mistake as the replay confirmed that Cai's serve was short. Although Jane's pic was not shown during the controversy, I heard her name being mentioned by the lady commentator (Gillian?). And during the prize presentation ceremony, I think she was standing by the side of the umpire Dahl, who was in the limelight instead.
    I'm confused by your third paragraph. How can Jane Hancock be overruled if she was not the one making the call in the first place? It was the line judge who made the "in" call. The service judge does not make line calls.

  10. #299
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,660
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcyong
    I'm confused by your third paragraph. How can Jane Hancock be overruled if she was not the one making the call in the first place? It was the line judge who made the "in" call. The service judge does not make line calls.
    Oh, then I'm mistaken again. I didn't actually see the linejudge 'guarding' the short service line on TV and therefore assumed that the service judge made the decision the shuttle was 'in' and the umpire overruled that decision as he could perhaps see clearly from his height.

    But I did say the cameras focussed on the big lady, who was the linejudge but I thought she was then in charge of the side-lines, not the short service lines. Perhaps someone who was actually there and witnessed the whole situation can clarify as the TV did not make it clear.

    1. Who was actually the linejudge who indicated Cai's serve was 'in'?
    2. Was there a linejudge for the short service line in the first place?
    3. Was Jane Hancock the service judge and was she the one who indicated that Cai' serve was 'in'? Otherwise the umpire can't overrule.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: All england finals day tickets
    By zeddie in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 10
    : 03-05-2012, 07:39 PM
  2. FS: All England Finals - Day Ticket
    By George Frith in forum Buy & Sell - Read the rules sticky before you post
    Replies: 2
    : 03-08-2008, 03:05 PM
  3. All England 2006 Finals:
    By Wizbit in forum All England 2006
    Replies: 353
    : 01-23-2006, 05:43 AM
  4. All England Finals
    By -wei- in forum All England 2004
    Replies: 11
    : 03-16-2004, 01:09 AM
  5. England is out of T/U cup finals
    By Lao Liu in forum General Forum
    Replies: 1
    : 03-03-2002, 02:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •