Wat's the Difference??

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ting03, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    hello everyone,

i have just gotten an MP 99 at a cheap price from Hong Kong, and i know it's fake.

however, i just want to know what is so bad about the "fake" racquets...is it becuz the specs are diff? or the quality of the material? like instead of using graphite and ultimum ti for the frame and shaft, fake racquets use some cheap material?

i was wondering about that...and if there is any difference at all. unfortunately i don't have a real MP 99 to really do a side by side comparison so yea...

just post what you guys think!

2. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    From my experience its the quality of the material. Also fakes usually give a dead feeling compared to authentic Yonex.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    of course there are differences or else yonex had gone bankrupt by now. Fakes surfaced around 8 years ago. Yonex is still around isn't it?

problem is, the difference is different for everyone. Actually fakes are better for beginners as fakes are usually very very light, and cost less.

#3 cooler, Mar 12, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  4. mgsmith1

mgsmith1 Regular Member

yonex knock-offs

FWIW,

I bought a couple of "yonex" rackets on ebay, expecting them to be fake due to the price. They are fake: they don't feel solid like the Genuine Thing. They feel like $50 rackets of any other brand, so I got what I paid for.

Also, I bought two different models in the MP series, and I cannot tell them apart by feel at all. I think they used the same racket and applied different paint jobs instead of even trying to imitate the different Yonex models--so you may not get the balance and stiffness characteristics you expect based on the model. With two real Yonex models, I can tell which is which by balance and stiffness even though I'm certainly no expert.

Of course, I usually look like I'm playing with a $10 racket no matter how much I actually spent...

5. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Fake would have cheaper materials. Otherwise they wouldn't be called fakes ;)

6. Van-CyKo

Van-CyKo Regular Member

Student
    With my experience, I say that the shaft is WAY more fexible than the Genuine one. But it was a Yonex AT-800 off and def. The frame is WAY easier to break. Andin the Genuine one has ultimum ti in it while the fakes have only graphite. Not only that The fakes dont have standard, so its like gambling if your buying and using them. I had a couple of fakes and 2 of them broke on first hit(smash). Not to metion the max string tension is way lower than the genuine one.Thats why once you buy a fake the string tension is around 16lbs. Well thatz it.

~terence

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, if you have a genuine racket in hand, you will feel the difference right away.

If you never have a genuine racket, you will not know what we are saying here.

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yup very true... btw fakes rackets usually have cheap materials.. however the only thing that is almost the same is the paint job and maybe the shape of the racket. Its like just putting on cosmetics to cover the flaws.

9. mgsmith1

mgsmith1 Regular Member

The ones I got feel more like 20-21 lb string tension, at least so far. I haven't played with them enough to break one yet (racket or string), or maybe not with enough power to break one. But I'll be nervous about having one re-strung after hearing about your experiences.

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The fake AT800 sells for HK$90 if you buy in quantity of 10. Even at this price it is not worth it.

11. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    hmm... i see, i tried my Mp 99 today and yea...i felt that it was really flexible, even when the Mp 99 is suposed to be stiff...

It's even more flexible than my MP 44!!!! from wat i'm hearing for everyone...now i'm sorta afraid that it will break soon...:crying:

i'm sorta dissapointed that it's made with such low quality materials...but i hope i will be able to buy a real one soon...

i found an armotec 800 DEF for around $180 do you think that's a good deal? well i dunno

12. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
  13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The purpose for fake is to rip off customers, by the look. As long as the paint looks a bit alike, it's all good. Using cheaper material is a must, as they just want to generate more profit.

14. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    yea...those cheap people :mad: but the real authentic racquets are sooo expensive...

how much do you ACTUALLY think it takes Yonex to make an "authentic" racquet anyways? $20US? more less? carbon graphtie and ultimum titanium can't be THAT much can it? and besides They probably buy that material in bulk...

it's just like all other goods...just the brand name "Yonex" makes the product worth a lot.. well i dunno but am determined to get a "real" racquet! :p

15. Ricearonie

Ricearonie Regular Member

16. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    Fake racquet

Hi all,

I have had a fake yonex racquet AT-700, which I paid $20.00 US for it. At the time I was just a beginer in badminton and I couldn't really tell the difference. However, as I improved I acquired MP-77 and TI-10. Man the difference is dramatic and it is no comparison between the real thing and the fake thing. My point is the fake racquet is not badly constructed but it definiately does not have the materials that Yonex development and thus if you want to really see benefits of the materials get a really one. However, as we badminton lovers, we ourselves should at least not to buy the fake racquets to support the underground companies selling these racquets. :)

17. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
  18. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    I'm pretty sure that's a real one. From what I've heard, that person sells real racquets.... no?

19. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    This one is real!

This guy gets good reputation for selling real racquet. I think you can buy from this guy. Good luck and have fun with the new racquet!!!!

20. ting03

ting03 Regular Member

University Student
    oh, that's good to hear, becuz i already bought an Armortec 800 DE from him yesterday

it's the 4U G4 model from TH (that's thailand rite?). for around US $160

when i recieve it i will try it and see if it's real or not.