China’s Chen Hong destroys Malaysian’s hopes of qualifying for All-England final

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by ants, Mar 12, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar

BIRMINGHAM: Top national singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei's dream of entering his first All-England men's singles final was shattered yesterday when an all fired-up Chen Hong of China tamed the Malaysian at the National Indoor Arena here.

After racing to a good start, leading 11-7 in the first game of the semi-final match and staging an entertaining neck-and-neck battle right up to 10-10 in the second game, Chong Wei went down 13-15, 10-15 in 53 minutes.

The defeat was Chong Wei's fifth to the lanky Chinese in six meetings. His only win was at the semi-final stage en route to winning the Malaysian Open title last year.

In the quarter-finals on Friday, Chong Wei had ousted a lethargic Mohd Roslin Hashim 15-7, 15-9. Roslin had a day earlier disposed off second seed Peter Gade-Christensen of Denmark 9-15, 17-15, 15-12 in a marathon 118-minute match.

All Malaysian hopes are now pinned on former national number one shuttler Wong Choong Hann.

Choong Hann reached his first ever semi-finals of the US$125,000 tournament when he ended the gallant run of Japanese Shoji Sato 11-15, 15-2, 15-3.

A herculean task awaits, though, as Choong Hann's next opponent is top seed Lin Dan of China. The defending champion was stretched to the limit by a rejuvenated Lee Hyun-il of South Korea 15-10, 13-15, 15-8 in the quarter-finals.

This is the second time that Malaysia had two semi-finalists in the All-England. In 2003, the Hashim brothers - Hafiz and Roslin – made it to the last four with Hafiz going all the way to the title.

Choong Hann was happy to have made his first All-England semi-finals. However, he felt he should have beaten Shoji in straight games on Friday.

“It has been a roller coaster ride for me so far in the All-England. I almost got knocked out in the first round (he narrowly beat South Korean 15-7, 2-15, 17-15).

“Then, I found my rhythm,†said the 29-year-old Choong Hann in a telephone interview from England.

“I was leading 9-2 against Shoji in the first game. I got too excited and nerves got to me. Shoji caught up and won the first game. Fortunately, I was able to check my composure quickly and got the better of him.â€

On his semi-final match against the world number one player Lin Dan, Choong Hann agreed that it would be tough affair.

“It will not be an easy match and I am bracing myself for a tough time. I have never beaten him in an international tournament. But I believe I have a chance this time and I will go all out,†added Choong Hann.

In the women's doubles, Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty put up a better fight against the second seed Wei Yili-Zhao Tingting of China but it was not good enough.

They went down 15-17, 8-15 in the quarter-finals.

At the German Open last week, the duo were sent packing 1-15, 3-15 in the semi-finals.

Meanwhile, there were major upsets in the other events at the quarter-finals stage.

Men's doubles top seeds and defending champions Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen of Denmark were beaten 11-15, 8-15 by the South Korean scratch pair of Ha Tae-kwon-Yim Bang-eun.

Thailand's Sudket Prapakamol-T. Saralee caused a stir in the mixed doubles when they eliminated Athens Olympic Games gold medallists Zhang Jun-Gao Ling 15-10, 15-12 to reach the semi-finals.