Well Done Gail And Nathan!!

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2005' started by jimbouk, Mar 13, 2005.

1. jimbouk

jimbouk Regular Member

Trader in Japan & USA
    Just a quick note to congratulate Gail and Nathan!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

news: (BBC Sport)

British duo claim badminton title

Britain's Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson added the All England mixed doubles title to their Olympic silver medal with victory in Birmingham.

The pair defeated Danish duo Thomas Laybourn and Kamilla Rytter Juhl 15-10 15-12 at the National Indoor Arena.

"I know if we had lost we would have thrown away a fantastic chance. But I knew even if it had gone to three games we would have won," said Robertson.

"It's all so surreal. I just can't believe it," added Emms.

Robertson looked ahead to the pair's future plans and Olympic goal.

"This is the biggest we can ever win outside the World Championships and hopefully it will help England to develop the sport," he added.

"I would like every person who has come here to copy us and take up badminton. It would make the sport here so much stronger.

"But our next goal is the World Championships and to regain our world number one spot - and then there's still an Olympic gold medal to be won in three years."

Meanwhile, defending champion and world number one Lin Dan suffered a suprise defeat in the men's singles against Chen Hong.

The top seed gained the early ascendancy but was beaten 8-15 15-5 15-1 by Chen, seeded four.

The women's singles final also went against seeding, with number one Zhang Ning beaten comfortably 11-3 11-9 by third seed Xi Xingfang.

Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng, seeded three, won the men's doubles, beating fourth seeds Lars Paaske and Jonas Rasmussen of Denmark 15-10 15-6.

In the women's doubles, third seeds Gao Ling and Huang Sui beat fellow Chinese pair and second seeds Wei Yili and Zhao Tingting 15-10 15-13.

3. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

it sure wasn't surreal though. the way the twosome played yesterday, they were ever sure of the title. this was most evident in the last few points of the match.

nevertheless, i hope, with them that this will bring a great change for the sport in the west.;)

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, this is a positive sign, but please increase the prize money and make the AE a 6* event to maintain its prestige and popularity, a warning coming no less from a member of the British Royalty, Prince Andrew, who graced the occasion. :)

5. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

wow! how nice of him to chip in a word! oh, i hope they do something about it. the meagre sum (reflected by the small-sized check :D) embarassed even me!

6. other

other Regular Member

Student
    mmm..don't suppose prince andrew could donate some of his cash to the prize money?