Fast drop

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by checkthemc, Mar 15, 2005.

1. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    How do you do a fast drop deceptively and well? My drops are slow and tight and I hear that fast drops are more effective. I also slice my slow drops. Anyone mind giving me a good detailed description on how to do a fast drop?

2. llp1kab0oll

llp1kab0oll Regular Member

yes alan. actually I can tell you how. heres something you could try. i'm assuming that you have problems with the drops from back court. well if you kinda think of the drop as a smash swing with a massive amount of slice, then its possible. the smash idea is to give it a fast forward motion, and the slice is it to make it slow down fast and drop. of course, the whole idea starts from the slice. we all know that a good drop requires a good slice. and a good slice will cause the birdie to slow down really fast and drop. therefore, you need the hard forward shot so that by the time it starts to slow down and drop, the birdie will already be closing in on the net. and also, keep in mind, when i say smash, its not like a completely downward shot, u gotta hit it forward more. hope that helped

#2 llp1kab0oll, Mar 15, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  3. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

yes that was great, now that is exactly the way i take it if the bird goes towards my left (backhand) and i will then use a round the head swing, and at the last minute slice the bird and it will drop diagnolly to the left net of the opponent. But if the shuttle comes to my forehand, i have a hard time timing it properly with this slicing technique. am i still supposed to use a full smash swing or can i just do a quick cut with my forearm.

4. tranvi007

tranvi007 Regular Member

Student
    Ummm....

i do do slice smahses, but seem to have a hard time getting the bird tight on the net. But it looks very deceptive. Is there another technique?

5. cheung31

cheung31 Regular Member

Experiment this way if you want but, when i do the round the head slice, i make a lot of lateral movement of the racquet at the last minute before i rotate my wrist to slice. and when i slice the racquet is at a great angle (almost parallel to the sidelines)

maybe you should do something similar to that, trying to slice at an even greater angle, because my slices are Very Very tight to the net

6. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    Where should I take the birdy? As high as possible right? Also, I'm 90% sure I shouldnt slow my movements, so its like a smash with a heavy slice. I'm thinking I should smash it, but at the last moment twist my racket. Of course this is only for cross drop.

7. llp1kab0oll

llp1kab0oll Regular Member

the slice method works for hitting anywhere on the court. it all depends on how much you rotate your body during the preparation. generally, when I am hitting a straight drop I almost rotate my body a complete 90 degrees when preparing to drop. it all depends. also, lets say you are trying to drop from the far back right corner. you would do a drop but you would put a little bit more direction to the left. you just have to experiment

8. crazy_smasher

crazy_smasher Regular Member

Fast drop(little or slight slicing)
    Few conditions to do a Fast drop(My thinking)

1. You must be behind the shuttle
    2. You must reach the shuttle as high as possible to get the steepness
    3. Prepare the stroke as a normal smash
    4. Swing the stroke as a smash but PRESS down the shuttle at impact as much as possible, do not tap the shuttle or slice it - use some wrist if needed
    5. Follow through (very important)

Two Illustrations of what i think are good examples of what i say above:

(i) Watch Gong Zhi Chao fast drop against Camilla Martin - (in olympics i guess not sure???)

(ii) Watch Gopichand (last point or among last few pts) drop shot against Chen Hong in his AE win.

Anyone, any comments? Anyone have seen the two rallies i refer to above?

Regards

CS

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Bah, all the best fast drops are sliced :)

And you WILL need to slow down your racket movement - if you hit the shuttle as powerfully as a smash, then you will get........a smash :p