Isometric 63 vs Armortec 800 offensive

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by GunBlade008, Mar 17, 2005.

1. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    I'm currently using an Isometric 63 Light racquet with an over grip and stock 18lbs tension. This racquet is extremely flexible and I think it's because of that, that my smashes are so slow. I've been told this is more of a control racquet rather than a power racquet, and that smashes weren't meant for this brand. Should I get an Armortec 800 offensive to complete my power playing style or continue trying to learn how to become a control player?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am afraid if your smashes are slow with a iso63, it will be as slow and maybe slower with the AT800. remember, it is your muscles and technique and not the racket that makes a smash.

3. tifam

tifam Regular Member

I have ever used an 800OF,4U,25pls with Yonex 65 Ti string.It has a stiff shaft and gives the obvious feeling about headheavy racket,the same feeling as you get in hand a Ti 10 3U.Honestly, it's not SUITABLE for me although it can give me the power when I smash or clear.It cannot give me the "sensation of shuttlecock" when I defence and anytimes it give me a bit of "hollow feeling" when I jumb and smash with all my might. Trying the AT800 OF 3U of my partner,I remark that it seems rather heavy in my hand.
    I know that, AT800 OF is not conformable to me, in other words,I can not promote its ability and I don't regret about this! Please make a self-criticism (style of playing,physical force,badminton technical skillful...) before to come to a decision about suitable equipment, I think so. :)

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    A lot of ppl got mis-lead by the AT800 Offensive. The name itself does NOT mean, once u have this racket, u will smash as hard as a pro. It's just a name. I've seen several cases in local club(s), that some players perfrom even below their own standard, once they switched from their comfortable rackets to AT800OF.

My suggestion on ur racket (skill is skill in higher priority, though) is:

1. If ur racket is ok, try to string it with a bit higher tension. See how it feels.

2. If u really want to get another racket, regardless AT800Of or whatever ones, make sure try it and make sure u like it, before spending $$$.

5. roquejo

roquejo Regular Member

I'm an AT800OF user and since I now also owned an AT800DE, I can now tell the difference of OF to other racquets.

I think you will have difficulty adjusting to OF because:

You're current racquet is flexible and the OF is extra stiff, you will feel really awkward at first and you're shoulders and elbows might get sore. Extra Stiff is good for smashing coz no power is wasted, but you have a disadvantage when it comes to clears and drives because a flexible racquet adds power to those shots. Plus the extra stiff property of AT800 will make it less forgiving than other racquets.

You're current racquet is light while the AT800OF is heavy being 3U. So again you might have trouble adjusting. It is only after buying the DE that I noticed that my OF is really heavy.

As a suggestion, try borrowing AT800OF before you buy. Many people have difficulty adjusting to it.

I think you can adjust better to AT800DE because that is closer to your current one than the OF. It is not as stiff as OF so it is more forgiving.. the frame is also Aerodynamic so it's is surprisingly fast for its heavy balance..(unlike OF which is slower) and it also packs power in smashes (though less than OF) because it is also head heavy.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    AT800OF is not a beginner racquet. If u dont have enough power to smash to begin with, then u will probably get tired holding this racquet after 5 mins

7. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Probably best to train with a heavy racket first; it may be tiring to use head heavy rackets if you are only comfortable head light rackets like ISO 63 LT. For example, improve your technique with a Carbonex 7000 U (95-99 grams). That will build your muscles up a bit, but you would find that Cab 7000 has poor feel, power, and control.

I do think that there may be substantial improvement in power with a head heavy racket.* However, the stiffness of AT800OF may be undesirable. AT800DE is may be more suitable, as it slightly more flexible.

*note: my experience has been that an intermediate level player can hit the shuttle a lot harder with a MP77(extra stiff, even balance/slightly head heavy) than with a Ti 7 (stiff, head light).

8. GunBlade008

Student, Retail.
    Would any of you choose the Iso63 over the Arm800 in tournament play? I've been advised by my coach that restringing the racquet would make little difference powerwise and would lessen my control, so she told me to just stay with the current racquet. Other people, the really good, near pro players suggested that the Iso63 was for beginners and that if I were truly serious, I'd get a better racquet, preferibally the Arm800. Which should I choose and why? If I were to make a switch in racquets, I'd have to do it now to adjust to the change of racquets.

9. Baminton_junkie

Baminton_junkie Regular Member

Floor Layer
    First off a jump from a Iso 63 to a Amr 800o is a big jump.
    I dont know how good you are but what I suggest doing is try someones 800 to see how you like it because if you buy it and dont like it thats a lot of money that you just threw away. Another thing is instead of making that big of a jump try maybe a muscle power.

Its really up to you so maybe just look around and do a bit of reasearch. Oh ya BTW if you didn't know the 800 raquet is more offensive, it has a heavier head than shaft. So that also brings me to what style of play you have because the 800 is offensive. Thats all i got hope it helped.

-Curtis

O ya one more thing. Even if you think your raquet is to flexy i doubt that the 800 will improve because it is a Xtra stiff racquet. I no i am an advanced for my age but i use a medium flex shaft because i dont have enuf swing speed.

#9 Baminton_junkie, Mar 18, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    But a serious beginner is still a beginner

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yup! You might look like those PROs when you walk around holding your AT800 but everybody can tell once you start playing. Stick with the ISO63 until you get much better. How would you know when to get a new racquet? When you can make a decent angled midcourt smash and still feel no power behind your shot... that's when you consider an upgrade.

#11 cappy75, Mar 18, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  12. roquejo

roquejo Regular Member

If you are really keen on getting an AT800, my advice is go for DE instead of OF. I'm using the OF for 4 months now moving towards DE because its more maneuverable.

The only benefit you will get from OF is smash power. But if you still don't have a well developed smash or if you're opponents are good and they don't LIFT to give you an opportunity to smash or.. always force you in the defensive.. then the OF becomes a liability.

One of the most saleable point of OF is its nice orange color and that's not anyway related to preformance.

The bottom line is TRY before you buy.. look for a fellow club member who uses it and see if it suits you.

In my case, I've been reading the good reviews of the DE in this forum but I didn't immediately buy it coz it might not suit me... it is only after I actually tried it (DE is harder to find here coz OF is very popular coz people's perception that the word offensive is better than defensive) and liked it very much before I actually bought it.

13. GunBlade008

Student, Retail.
    lol, thnx guys, i'll stick with the Iso63. Another problem, should I string my racquet and if yes, wut should the tension b? Stock, it's about 17lbs. =S

14. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i always felt strings made more of a difference than racquet.
    you can come up with almost a reason for any string to match your offensive style, so its tough to nail any one down for a recommendation.

i say try maybe bg80 or bg68ti and go thinner or thicker, Ti or non-Ti, depending on how you like it, and whether or not the durability of the strings is acceptable.
    those two strings seem to be the average of all the yonex synthetic strings.

as for tension, go up maybe to 21 lbs, and see how you like it. then go up and down accordingly.

15. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Restring it to atleast 10-21 lbs, Bg65 will be good.