Disaster of overcharging!

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by tifam, Mar 18, 2005.

1. tifam

tifam Regular Member

In some Asian markets (especially in ASEAN ) there exist on the disaster of overcharging.For example, in many Vietnamese sportshops, the seller always put in the higher prices of rackets and agreeing to buy them in the lower price.All the customers have to drive a hard bargain before make a decision. Last month, a sportshop owner at HCMC told me 135 USD for a Yonex CAB30 MS (3U,JP distributed code) but agreeing to buy it with that 115 USD.In any situations, if you really like a rare racket, you would pay a cost which is known
    sure-fire more higher than its intrisic value.
    Does this poor state exit in your area? How about your experiences in dealing?:(

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am not understanding what the problem is. :confused:

3. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I don't get it either, but I think he is asking:

In stores, the owner puts the racquet price higher than the price they purchased it at. That leaves the buyers (us) the opportunity to talk with them to lower the price (bargaining), everyone tries to do that. He is asking if any one experience this kind of situation?

Lol, I still don't understand what the problem would be.

4. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I think this is what he meant

In some Asian markets (especially in ASEAN[South East Asia] ) there exist a the disaster of overcharging.For example, in many Vietnamese sportshops, the seller always price the racquets at a higher price and agreeing to sell them in the lower price. All the customers have to drive a hard bargain before the seller makes a decision. Last month, a sportshop owner at HCMC quoted me 135 USD for a Yonex CAB30 MS (3U,JP distributed code) but agreeing to sell it with that 115 USD. In such situations, if you really like a rare racket, you would pay a cost which is known
    sure-fire more higher than its original value.
    Does this poor state exist in your area? How about your experiences in dealing?:(

I think once we clear the grammar up a bit, I think this is what tifam means.

5. tifam

tifam Regular Member

Thanks FEND very much for your "translation",:) this is what I meant.The overcharging is a general phenomenon in Vietnam.The sellers price item at a higher price than item's original value, especially, when they know exactly that the customer really like one of their goods! Always, customers have to haggle with shop-owners about the price . A player could pays 180 USD for a new Yonex MP100 (JP distributed code) but another player must pays 210 USD for the same racket, at the same shop!
    With me, I have to try both bargaining skill either English writing skill!:mad: Hic!

6. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

i think tifam's original sentence was right. the seller (shop owner) is the culprit who's overcharging. so, he can't be ''agreeing to sell them at a lower price'', can he?

and tifam wants help on 'how to bargain effectively'.

#6 Anatolii, Mar 19, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  7. tifam

tifam Regular Member

Thanks for Anatolii's consolation!:) And how about the overcharging in the badminton market in MAL ( I guess Malaysia?)?

8. hdson

hdson Regular Member

I see nothing wrong here. Even in Singapore, if you go to Bras Basah, you will be quoted a price as high as in Sunrise shop or Sportlink. But after bargaining (or if you are a frequent buyer), you can bring home the racquet sold in a lower price :) The same thing happend in Vietnam. As Sunrise now has rep. offices in both Hanoi and HCMC (I found it during my trip to Vietnam in Lunar New Year holiday), sport shops will quote you the retail price for a racquet imported by Sunrise, but can sell in a lower price for a racquet self-imported from Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore etc.

What makes me laugh a lot is that in a Sunrise-certified shop, besides genuine Yonex racquets you can also find fake ones. Of course, the fake and the genuine can't come together :)

9. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

y'know, it may have something to do with where you do the purchase (i may be wrong). i don't get my own racquets, but my father has never complained about having to pay too much for a racquet. of course, he doesn't care too much for the 'rare' ones, so the comparison isn't very valid. :eek:

10. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    It might also be a cultural thing. I know that in some cultures, it's almost expeted to bargain for the final prices. Depends on the business too, if it's privately owned or if it's a bigger chain-setting.

For private stores, i suppose you can always try your hand at bargaining... at chain stores, they're usually less flexible by reputation, and a higher price simply means less customers, unless there's something they're offerfing (like really good service) that warrants that extra price.

People should always try and bargain though, what have you got to lose?

11. quangthong

quangthong New Member

Although you try to bargain, you could buy a racket at an unfair price if you don't have any information about the real value of that racket. With an Yonex Ti 10, the shop-owner priced " 200USD", my friend said " wow...its cost too much. 160USD?" and he bought Ti10 by this price. Meanwhile, I had purchased an another Ti10 in the another near shop with 130 USD. 30USD is the loss of my friend (because he had not updated information from our Market Discussion Forum either from...me:D )

12. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

not everyone is up to the task though. and experienced sellers tend to take further advantage of these people. that's probably whytifam decides to seek advice.

13. quangthong

quangthong New Member

yah, I think so! And maybe that situation really names:"OVERCHARGING"!;)

14. dogflu

dogflu Regular Member

Businessman
    why don't we guys think like that. these people are out here to do business =)
    of cos they can't sell at cost price. they need profit to survive too :D .
    if u were in these businessman shoe, will u sell ur racket at cost price or ur own retail price. as i said , everything must be standard. lol....:p why don't u take yonex sunrise shop as an example LOL....cannot bargain! :D :D :D

15. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

-->OVERcharging. :)

16. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Yes, it just happens everywhere and here in California also. I bought a piano for my daughter. The asking price was 7800. Luckily I did a search on internet which told me it should be 5500 - 6000. I asked to saleman to sell it for 6000. He said I must be kidding. He then asked his manager, and we got the piano for 6000. It's normal that they want to make more profit with all these overhead costlike rent, salary,.... It's our job to find out what the right price should be.

#16 Qidong, Mar 21, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2005