Laserfibre MS200TT Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Pete LSD, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Okay, I am completely new to stringing. So bare with me. I just got the MS200TT single-action fixed clamp in working order and was stringing the mains. Everything was great with this mahcine: easy to use; very accurate tension; wonderful clamps. About five to six strings from the center I noticed the base of the clamp moving under tension!!! The thing is suppose to lock the base to the turntable's glide bar upon closing of the clamp. I was afraid that my racquet might be damaged if I continued on. So I released the tension and searched stringforum.com It turns out that it's quite normal on single-action fixed clamp machine. It is suggested that tensioning the next string will regain the tension lost from the movement of the clamp base.

Is there a modification I can do to completely stop this movement? Badminton racquet is very fragile. IMHO, repeated tension lost and tension gain is bad for the badminton racquet.

In retrospective, everything is great except for the clamp base movement when it should be locked to the turntable's glide bar. I should have ordered the double-action clamping system!!! :)

#1 Pete LSD, Mar 18, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I am afraid to say that you have chosen the wrong clamps. Your machine does not use glide-bar fixed clamp. It uses swivel clamps that can rotate 360 degrees, which come in either as single action or double action type. The single action type fixed swivel clamp is not a well tested and tried system. Most of them have brake failures, which I suspect is what you are experiencing. Loss of tension in the middle of a stringing job is not normal.
    Check if your machine can be converted to a true glide-bar fixed clamp system. If not just replace the single action swivel clamps with the double action clamps, that is if the turntable can handle both types. If not, then you will have to consider buying a turntable with dual action clamps. Replacing the brakes will delay the same problem cropping up again.

3. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    There are glide bars alright, but there are no breaks to hold the base of the clamps against the glide bars. I already have an idea how to resolve this problem.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    how about tuning down the tension :p

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I showed Cooler LIVE how I resolved the sliding issue with the clamp base not fixed to the glide bar. Thanks to Yonex's string packaging, I tore up pieces of the cardboard that come with every pack of BG-70 Pro and triple folded them. I then slide them into the space between the clamp base and the turntable. It worked!!! The clamp slided very little this time or not at all. I will head to the local hardware store and find a permanent solution to this issue.

Everything went pretty well with the main strings until it was time to thread the main ends through the knot grommets. One of the knot grommets was completely blocked by the main string already tensioned. Is there a way to get the main end through without resorting pathfinder awl? Let me stress that the knot grommet is almost blocked. Thanks in advance!

#5 Pete LSD, Mar 19, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

tripled folded? that's like 2mm of play. That's isnt 'laser' precision :D

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Oh you are talking about a different part of the clamping system. It's not the glide bar and the clamping base that I put the cardboard into.

8. registered

registered Regular Member

Royal Bum
    Congrats on buying the MS200TT, I have the fixed double action clamps and yes i know what you are talking about the sliding clamps, mine slide a bit too... but when i tension the next string, it pulls it back.

Another thing to note is that i modified those mounts aren't really deep enough, if you can get access to a dremel, sand the red mounts a bit deeper. Hope that helps, other then that i can't really recommend anything else because the machine is pretty well off other then that. Have fun stringing!! the fun begins after you string a couple and your heart isn't ready to stop and you start experimenting with tensions!!!

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Maybe you chose a grommet that is too small for the tie-off. Don't use a pathfinder as you risk snapping the string. Try cutting the end of the string diagonally to get a sharp leading edge, with one hand use the string mover to pull the tensioned main string aside, then insert the tie-off string into the grommet carefully. If all else fails use the awl.

10. registered

Royal Bum
    i agree with the post above, but sometimes the string just won't listen so i have found that if you use a pin, the ones you use for bulletin boards or pin up posters, i have found those to be PERFECT to make the grommet bigger. But you have to becareful, you can't just stab the pin into the hole, you have to go in at an angle with the tip touching the grommet's inner edge. I've done this with over 50 rackets i personally strung and i haven't had it snap. hope that helps.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I wished I ordered the double-action fixed clamp MS200TT! :eek:

I dished the cardboard device in favour of something more solid. Clamps with very strong springs will work fine. So I search through HOME DEPOT's tool section today and found the perfect match. A pair of these clamps costs CAD 6.58 before taxes and look like a scaled down version of the clamps from the jumper cable. The spring action is extremely strong. I could barely open the clamp with two hands. Once the jaw is open wide, placing right next to clamp base totally stop the clamp base from moving.

#11 Pete LSD, Mar 23, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  12. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The head adaptors are okay in depth to properly support the head. However, the throat adaptors have this swinging movement when the last six cross strings are strung at 31+ lbs. Maybe sanding the throat adaptors by 1mm will do the job, but I think more substantial throat support is required. It was quite a nerve raking experience when the racquet's throat moves in the direction of the cross string under tension. Again, this only happens when I get near the last six cross strings (I start the cross from head to throat). I am thinking of adding a wooden mold to the throat area.

#12 Pete LSD, Mar 23, 2005
  13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The pin idea is great and thank you! I also use a household stitching needle with a polyester thread for the toughest job. The polyester thread helically wraps around the first few inches of the badminton string. Now hold the tip of the badminton string tightly - don't let it go. Insert the stiching needle through the conjestion. Once the needle goes through the grommet, pull the thread out with the other hand. At the same time, push the tip of the badminton string into the grommet. Wola, the badminton string goes through!

#13 Pete LSD, Mar 23, 2005
  14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I use the standard Yonex stringing pattern. Both string and racquet are made by Yonex ;) .

So far your method works 80% of the time :) .

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

With an expensive new machine you shouldn't be doing all these patching work. Just ask the manufacturer to give you a new machine as a replacement! :D

16. registered

Royal Bum
    geepers 31 pounds and above that's kinda crazy for badminton tension...

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The main is 28 lbs or just a tad slightly above. So the cross at 10% more than the main is 31 lbs rounded out.

BTW, how deep did you sand the adaptors? Did you use a measuring device to maintain consistent depths?

The throat support system is very strange. It's a separate pivoting module connected to the stand by a bearing or something. Therefore, the throat adaptors can move in a limited clockwise and counter-clockwise fashion with the push of one's fingers . I think this is originally for tennis stringing.

#17 Pete LSD, Mar 23, 2005
  18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    :D It's just a fact of life with this multi-purpose stringing machine. I haven't seen one out there that is specifically for badminton. As with everything else in life, when there is a will there is a way. I have a few solutions to this throat support issue already.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

r u saying a clamp on a clamp?

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Oh sorry for the misunderstanding . . . The clamps I got from HOME DEPOT secures the glide bar.