User Tag List

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cool! I would love to see the badminton fixed clamps (with only three teeth).

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin
    32lbs, I doubt if I will string that high on a regular basis any time soon. Might give it a try though.. A friend of mine brought his old racket (a 'Level 3900'), he said he didn't mind if it would break. We decided that it was a good chance to see how really-high tensions would feel. We started at 13kg (28.66009lbs.) for mains and crosses. No problem whatsoever, the racket was still perfectly in shape, and it didn't break while playing with it. Too bad I didn't play with it... Next stop, 14 kg (~31lbs). We'll keep experimenting untill the racket breaks.

After I've strung about 25-30 rackets, I should have gathered enough money to buy a set of fixed badminton-clamps they cost around 240 (which will be around $300??). So yes, they are definitely available!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erwin,

Just wondering on your machine will it be challenging to string the last cross string (on the top) using flying clamp given that kind of internal multi-point system?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KooGuy
    Erwin,

Just wondering on your machine will it be challenging to string the last cross string (on the top) using flying clamp given that kind of internal multi-point system?
    he strinsg top-down...ATW-style...

he does it like this:
    short side and long side (just like every other 1-piece) the short side does 11 mains. the logn side does 10-mains. teh short side then goes from #12bottom and does a cross and the the 11th main on the 'long' side. the 'long' side then goes from #10top and does all the crosses top-down...correct erwin?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, the multi-point internal supports block the tie off. Laserfibre, aka Stringway machine, is only good for top-down stringing.

Erwin,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    he strinsg top-down...ATW-style...

he does it like this:
    short side and long side (just like every other 1-piece) the short side does 11 mains. the logn side does 10-mains. teh short side then goes from #12bottom and does a cross and the the 11th main on the 'long' side. the 'long' side then goes from #10top and does all the crosses top-down...correct erwin?
    Nope, damn wrong!!
    If you do it that way, there will be a pretty ugly bunch of overlappings on the top of the frame.
    after the 6th main, you do the top two crosses, then you do another two mains, and after that, another two crosses. By that time, you will have 10 mains. Then you will simply do the rest of the crosses.

Another way to do it (which is a bit easier) on the 'long side' is that you do 4 crosses, after the 8th main. So first you do 8 mains on that side, then 4 crosses, another two mains, and the rest of the crosses.

you got the 'short side' correct though. 11 on the short side, 1 cross, and then the 11 main on the 'long side', and a tie off (you can chose where to do the tie-off, I do it at the 6th or 5th tubing at the top. however some do it on the side of the racket.)

The result is that you will have very little long overhauls. (only 1, from the 11th main to the tie-off.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I used to do ATW here's the pattern I used: on the short-side, 10T to 10H then to 8H to do the top two crosses, tie off. On the long-side, 9T to 12T up to 11H to 10H down to 10T (i.e., Yonex style) to 9T, do the bottom 3 crosses ending at 11T to 12T on the short side, up to 11H to 9H and do the remaining crosses with tie off at 13T.

I no longer do it because it's easy for me to miscount the crosses in some racquets that have only 21 crosses resulting in a same weave in the end. Also, even when weaving one-ahead, every other weave is a hard(er) weave. Finally, 1-piece bottom-up is just simpler for me to do.

P.S.: T: Throat; H: Head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be nice if the Laserfibre/Stringway has an external floating 6 point mounting system then you wouldn't have to string from top down, not that it matters much. I wonder under high tension like >30lbs will the internal 6 point system can maintain the racket's shape. I know my external 6-point system does a pretty good job keeping the original racket shape. I know the 2-point system will not do it..I broke one

By the way, ATW style stringing is little challenging..I prefer the traditional approach, keep things simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have strung my racquets up to 32 lbs so far without any problem .

Main: 32 lbs
    Cross 35.2 lbs
    Top Down
    Yonex Pattern

Actually, I have two ideas in mind. One is to custom make head-throat plates with external supports. The other is to transplant the entire tensioner unit to an Eagnas machine that has six-point suspension mounting system.

It will be nice if the Laserfibre/Stringway has an external floating 6 point mounting system then you wouldn't have to string from top down, not that it matters much. I wonder under high tension like >30lbs will the internal 6 point system can maintain the racket's shape. I know my external 6-point system does a pretty good job keeping the original racket shape. I know the 2-point system will not do it..I broke one

By the way, ATW style stringing is little challenging..I prefer the traditional approach, keep things simple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    I have strung my racquets up to 32 lbs so far without any problem .

Main: 32 lbs
    Cross 35.2 lbs
    Top Down
    Yonex Pattern

Actually, I have two ideas in mind. One is to custom make head-throat plates with external supports. The other is to transplant the entire tensioner unit to an Eagnas machine that has six-point suspension mounting system.
    one word for u pete..... obsessed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Relentless pursuit of higher tension

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    one word for u pete..... obsessed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    Relentless pursuit of higher tension
    Pete, why are you pussyfooting on this? Just go get that ES5Pro or Sensor Expert and be done with it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    Pete, why are you pussyfooting on this? Just go get that ES5Pro or Sensor Expert and be done with it.

He was/is, but he wants me to guinea pig it first...but I decided to the the TennisHead instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    He was/is, but he wants me to guinea pig it first...but I decided to the the TennisHead instead.
    There were some reliability issues with the TennisHead/Wise unit recently and discussed in length in Tennis Warehouse site. I like to keep things simple, easier to fix compare to electronic or circuit board gadgets...

As for retrofiting the LaserFibre with Eagnas's floating 6-point mounting system, I think it is a little expensive since one already has paid such a high price for the Laserfibre machine. I'm sure it can be done as I have done it for my ancient drop weight machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Actually, I am seriously considering these machines .

Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yeah, I read about that too. Thanks for the reminder. If time is not an issue, drop weight is truly a good way to cultivate one's patience.

There were some reliability issues with the TennisHead/Wise unit recently and discussed in length in Tennis Warehouse site. I like to keep things simple, easier to fix compare to electronic or circuit board gadgets...

As for retrofiting the LaserFibre with Eagnas's floating 6-point mounting system, I think it is a little expensive since one already has paid such a high price for the Laserfibre machine. I'm sure it can be done as I have done it for my ancient drop weight machine.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite the 6-point support of Eagnas machines they still do not guarantee 100% distortion-free stringing. The reason is that the 4 side supports are not optimally placed for badminton racquets (they are for tennis racquets). Also most 6-point machines use V-shaped or K-shaped or other shapes for the side supports. These side supports prevent only outward expansion/distortion of your frame. They cannot prevent inward distortion of the two top corners. You can actually verify this after a stringing job-the 4 side supports would not be as firm or evenly tight as before the stringing job.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Eepak's assessment as I can vouch for the side supports not as evenly tight as before.

Question for Eepak: what are all your recommended stringing machines? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Despite the 6-point support of Eagnas machines they still do not guarantee 100% distortion-free stringing. The reason is that the 4 side supports are not optimally placed for badminton racquets (they are for tennis racquets). Also most 6-point machines use V-shaped or K-shaped or other shapes for the side supports. These side supports prevent only outward expansion/distortion of your frame. They cannot prevent inward distortion of the two top corners. You can actually verify this after a stringing job-the 4 side supports would not be as firm or evenly tight as before the stringing job.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast