User Tag List

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Valentinas, what did u use to add weight to the badminton weight? I was thinkin of just buyin a second badminton weight n combining the two badminton weights together to get the ideal tension range for badminton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valentinas View Post
    Yes, I have tried this already. It works.

I have used a kitchen scale for calibrating (it was bought from fishermans shop - so it almost a fish scale :-) ).

During marking I have used an empty racket frame put on the stringing machine - to make sure that setup almost the same like in real stringing session.

You can do one additional adjustment - Stringway has a badminton weight which is too light - the end of the bar is 11 kg as far as I remember. This is a problem when you are doing 11/12 kg - you need to add a second weight during stringing. Since I am not stringing tennis - I have added permanent 0.5 kg weight to the badminton weight. It will give you range from 7 kg to 15 kg without need to change the weights.

Regards,

Valentinas
    Hi Valentinas.

Thanks for the advise, but I am afraid that this is not so easy:
    When we increase the weight of the small weight all the scales on the ruler are wrong.

To string on tensions above 11 kg we supply all badminton machines with the big and the small weight nowadays.

Still, I appreciate every advise from the market, but I have to reckon with the practical possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by powerbaddy View Post
    Hi Valentinas, what did u use to add weight to the badminton weight? I was thinkin of just buyin a second badminton weight n combining the two badminton weights together to get the ideal tension range for badminton.
    Just went to the sporting goods store and bought the lightest weight available - it was KETTLER 0,5 kg weight. The biggest problem was to drill a hole in it and to clean rusted screw I used to keep the two weights together. Looks ugly - but it works :-). Price for weight itself was 3 usd, drilling a hole and finding the screw - for free.

Second badminton weight could be a solution - but it is heavier and you will loose the lower part of badminton tensions range (7 kg is almost the upper tension for metal heads - you will go further with two badminton weights). This solution is elegant but costs much more.

Regards,

Valentinas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stringtechno View Post
    Hi Valentinas.

Thanks for the advise, but I am afraid that this is not so easy:
    When we increase the weight of the small weight all the scales on the ruler are wrong.

To string on tensions above 11 kg we supply all badminton machines with the big and the small weight nowadays.

Still, I appreciate every advise from the market, but I have to reckon with the practical possibilities.
    Hi stringtechno

The suggestion was for Mr. powerbaddy only - he does not have a ruler and actually forced to make a new one somehow. I am not advising every Stringway machine user to change weights and to throw away their rulers :-).

I am sure that 11 kg tension with a one single weight was a right and good design some years ago. Now we are facing requirement from advanced badminton players to string high tensions like 12-13-14 kg. Another part of players still wants 10 kg or smth. So you ending up with screwing/unscrewing the two weights almost constantly.
    Another point to consider - the accuracy of the tension setup with two weights. Requirement to string at 12.5 kg definitely creates a problem - the space between 12 and 13 kg marks is too tight. If you are stringing 2 or 3 same model rackets for the same person - the difference in results is too noticable - you can not pretend that it was "natural tension drop occured during time I was stringing another racket".

You have a great tensioner - fast, gentle on the string and easy to operate. It can be slightly better :-).

Regards,

Valentinas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys,

Hereby another advise perhaps also usefull to others:

When you buy a second badminton weight it does NOT mean that the tension is muliplied by 2. The reason for this is that the bar is in the scale also and there is only one bar.

This means that when you take a second badminton weight you have to deduct 4.5 kg (influence of the bar) from the scale.

IOW:
    Lets asume you want 12,5 kg.
    You put one weight on 10 kg and the other one on 7 (2,5 + 4,5). so if you are over 10 kg you just move the second weight up and down.

In this way you can be quite accurate and handy at the same time because you do not have to screw the big weight off every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi stringtechno, don't u mean to put the first weight @ 5.5kg and then the second one @ 7kg? Eitherway, I cud see that being less of a pain compared to adding/removin the big weight all the time. Wuts funny is I find people are gettin different tension readings with the small weight. For example, valentinas stated that his small weight @ the end of the bar was 11kg x 2.2 = 24.2. But when I put my weight on the end of the bar, my fish scale reads sumwhere in the mid 25lbs if I rmber correctly. And if I were to bring the weight all the way down to the bottom, I get a readin of close to 13lbs. So assumin to add the second badminton weight on, I wud get 13+13-10=16lbs on the lowest end and 25+25-10=40lbs on the high end. This range of 16-40lbs is acceptable to me b/c the lowest tension I've ever been asked to tension is 17lbs which for me, wud b a 16x18 tensionin so havin 16lbs min is perfect. I'm more concerned about the difference in readings from fish scale to fish scale in the calibration process. Without the ruler, I can only rely on the fish scale n use a sharpie marker to mark reference points accordingly. The difference between valentinas end of the bar reading of 24lbs reading vs my 25lbs reading tho is prob not trivial when we consider that badminton racquets are not so durable compared to tennis racquets. Things like frame distortion wud b much more noticeable on baddy racquets. I have measured the tension of the bar only n it reads 10lbs 4oz so I believe my fish scale can't b too far off in accuracy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear powerbaddy

I think accuracy between the two different machines is very good. Considering all of the possible errors in measurements (including the fact that the last mark on the ruler is actually 10,5 kg and exact end of the rod can be not exactly 11 kg mark) 1 lbs difference between 24 lbs and 25 lbs is about 4 % only. This is a great result.

I agree with PeteLSD that every stringer must aim not at a tension on the rod/display/etc. but at achieving stable result every time. Slipping clamp can do more damage to the resulting stiffnes of the string bed then any small differences on tensioner. Pre-stretching or not pre-stretching the strings before tensioning has big impact also.

So catch and eliminate every bug in you process and equipment - and you customers will be happy :-)

Regards,

Valentinas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To stringtechno,

When i bought my machine, my coach marked the tensions with a marker on the bar as he lost his ruler. After using it for some time, they marks have disappeared and i need to recalibrate it to mark it. What i have found interesting is that when i pull bg65 string with an empty bar without the weight attached, i get a reading of around 10lbs if i leave some slack on the string and allow it the bar to drop around horizontal plane. but if i were to pull up all the slack on the string, my fish scale reads a higher tension around 11lbs 3oz or so and the bar stops at a very high angle (nowhere near horizontal plane). i'm wondering why this is, isn't the machine technically supposed to pull at the same tension no matter what angle the bar drops too. Taking this into consideration, what should i do to calibrate and mark, should i measure by pullin all the slack each pull, or should i leave enuff slack that the bar drops to horizonal plane? when i have pull up all the slack and put the small dropweight all the way at the end of the bar, i get a reading of 26 9oz ish. which is pretty far off compared to the 24-25lbs reading i have seen some people post about. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was looking to buy a stringway machine for badminton. It seems like they might have some sort of problems with the mounts not giving enough support for the badminton frame? Have any of you guys had any problems with stringing at higher tensions? Does the badminton options for the mounts provided by stringway work or is it better to have two head clamps instead?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I followed PeteLSD's advice to mount the head plate also on the throat (or was it vice versa) to get another point of support.

The only issue i had with the mounts were that you'll have to do top down stringing on the crosses. simply cause you won't be able to clamp the top most cross.

If you're interested in buying this machine, I am selling mine since I switched to the Gamma 6004 + Wise.

It would be a local deal too.

Quote Originally Posted by GT0ro View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but I was looking to buy a stringway machine for badminton. It seems like they might have some sort of problems with the mounts not giving enough support for the badminton frame? Have any of you guys had any problems with stringing at higher tensions? Does the badminton options for the mounts provided by stringway work or is it better to have two head clamps instead?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did you need to do top down stringing before making the alterations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went top down from the beginning (when i ordered my Laserfibre/Stringway I ordered the additional mount)

Quote Originally Posted by GT0ro View Post
    did you need to do top down stringing before making the alterations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I added some advise about supporting a badminton on this thread:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...=1#post1880798

Do any of you use a stiffness tester for badminton already?

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16