i'm making my own stringing machine,need opinion

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Benasp, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

i will show you my machine and can you tell me if you would trust it and what are his weak point and how can i make it better. I just make it for fun i don't wanna make buisness with it so if you think that will be a flop, just say it, i will make it better next time :p

i'm currently working on the racquet support, the hardest part cause it's directly in contact with the racquet and that can cause damage.

pict 1: ( top view of the support)
    [​IMG]

pict 2 : ( side view)
    [​IMG]

pict 3: (under view)
    [​IMG]

not completed yet, it still miss something to sit the racquet on ( i don't wanna scratch it on the metal), i will use cork sheet on the clamp and the aluminium plate. And i need to put a lock under the plate to fix the head lenght adjustment.

the weakest point of the system is that there not really side support, only vertical pression to support, do you think it is enough ???

2. registered

registered Regular Member

Royal Bum
    good idea, but i hope you take into account of what kind of tension's those machines go under, i mean that kind of metal seems kinda of thin. To go into a bit of detail, depending on what you set your tension to be, say for example 20 pounds is normal. A normal yonex racket would have a 22X24 pattern, and each string strung at 20 pounds. Now if you take 20 pounds for EACH string you have 20 times 22 which is well over 400 pounds of tension acting upon a vector that is pinpointed in one plane of the racket. Now if you think that your metal can withstand that then i would say go for it! Also don't forget the crosses =D

But if you do make your own mounting system, I would assume that your a pretty handy guy and suggest you take a look the wise tension head. I read alot of tennis stringing forums and this is basically just the tensioning unit that attachs to a crank system. But with a couple of peices of meatl you can mount that thing on any machine.

If you do plan to go ahead with your project i recommend you test it out with a racket you don't mind if it will break or not. GOOD LUCK!

3. klc28

klc28 Regular Member

4. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I dun know much abt stringing machines, however i think your racket holding system(2pts , 6pts hold thing) should be changed as i believe that it will be hard if ya wanna put the string through the hole. Perhaps you might wanna use big nut and bolt with cushioning pads at the contact point with the racket.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    From pic 1, I think all ur 6 supports are way too much in the way of string / gromments. Which means, it will make ur string (i.e. waving cross) process become very difficult or impossible. You can NEVER loose a support during the string process as u need to put the string into the gromment.

I think u need to fix the support to let them NO get into the way of string pattern and gromments.

6. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    omg... with all the time u spent on it, u might aswell buy a cheap badminton only stringing machine.. they well cheap lol.. or just get it restrung by someone haha

7. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    A very interesting project!

From what I see, there are the two problems already mentioned-- one, the base part that is just parallel to the racket face looks a bit thin, and two, the supports seem like they could potentially get in the way of the grommets.

As to what I see, you may run into problems if the 4 side supports are static relative to the top and bottom ones, simply because not all racket frames are exactly the same size. Also, the screws that you use for the clampdowns, I'd use more reinforcement, again, a thicker base... it's hard to describe, but what I mean to say is that at high tensions, those bolts might get tilted because they're only in contact with the base for a few milimeters. (E.G. a bolt that is buried and in contact with 1 inch of the base is more stable than a bolt that's only a quarter of an inch in contact)

8. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

so thank you for the reply

1- the base is made of aluminium 1/4 so there no trouble there for sure, i can stand on it i i would. the clamp system is made of 3/8 steel so don't worry with that.

tha clamp are bolted from under as you see in pict 3

and for the trouble with blocked hole, i know it isn't the best way and this machine wouldn't be the fastest but like you see in pict 1 the screw are not directly in contact with the racquet frame except the top and bottom, they are inside the frame like 2 point mounting system.

i will try to post more pict of the system but i need to mention that in alle the pict i showed, the system is not tightned.

i will post picture of the tentioner (drop weight) and the clamp later, I need to make a base to hold the turntabl and of course make the table turnable :p

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Did you consider the cost for this project? There some OK drop weight 2pt machines out there for about $100(USD). You need to consider shipping. If you want a 6pt. stringer, you can use your current holding plate on a 2 pt machine with minor mod. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a good idea to try. However, it just might not worth the time and money. Here is my story for you. Once I want to build a roller to go under my car to do oil change and some work. I spend about $10 for material. Took me 2 hr to build it. It works ok and I can get some work done. But it was not as good as I would like. Later on I found a roller in local hardware shop for $16(not on sale). It was better than the one I made and had a tray for tools too. I kick my self for not doing more research and wait a little longer. I wish you a very best luck on this project.

10. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

it's a challenge to make it i would had no fun at all by buying one already made :p and i think 100 usd is quite expensive. Cause it's very simple to make one. I don't buyed anithing to make this i just take old part so it's cost me less than buy one

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If that is the case, just some suggestions. You need some leather to cushin between the clamp and racquet so it would not scratch the racquet. I would suggest to use epoxy glue to bind them together. Also, I saw you draw lines on the plate, I will suggest you to cut the plate to decrease the weight. It will be easier to insert string into the garment. Since you have decided to use drop weight, you will need something to use as drop weight? Also the string holding type? I don't know if you seen the Alpha drop weight machine. Check out the string holder. I think it might be the easiest to make. I hope you have enough tools for all these metal work.

Good luck and I hope you will enjoy the fruit of success.

12. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

yeah that the way i did it, i will post the pick sometime, i used a ratchet and welded 4 O-ring on it, between the 2 first i maded a groove to turn the string around and simply made a little line to hold the string.

i tested and when i make 2 turn around and attach it i can pull 30 LBS without sliding (30 is the max of my weighted but it can go higher)

13. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

Here It Is

so i took lots of picture of the complete machine. It still need minor improvement

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

one of the major trouble is the ratchet, i need to put it on a real bearing cause the friction give very hasardous tension.

and my holding system make the sharing hole hard to reach and hard to pass the second string. but it's ok

also i had some tension los on the middle main, i used a strating clamp but i will try to make it better next time.

i have 2 question:

how do we string the frist cross cause there nothing to clamp it on, do i just tension 2 string.

and is it normal that my flying clamp twist a little bit when i drop the tension, if it's normal do that make the tension drop.

15. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Lol!! I love your clamps! That's a very original way of doing it.

As to the first crosses, assuming you've done the mains first, you're normally supposed to tie a knot on the first top main with a large grommet.

16. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Cool project man. Now all you need is a good paintjob on it!!!

17. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

yhea i'll take care of the estetique when the machine will work well

the question i asked about the cross is how do we secure the very first cross when we use the 2 knots method

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i too think that it is a really cool project. puts your machining skills into use very appropriately. and i am sure it does take a fair amount of time.

some parts of the design are compromised but certainly a good start to a homemade stringing machine.

19. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    Your project is very cool.
    It's normal that your flying clamp twist a little bit when you drop the tension. It will be take care when you tension the next string.
    You have to tension the 1st and the 2nd cross at the same time if you use only fly clamp when use the 2 knots method. (or you have to design a fix clamp)
    To ensure the 1st cross has right tension, maintain the tension on the 2nd cross more then 20 seconds them lift the weight about 2 inches high, them let it drop. Don't just take my word, test it youself. (important, your ratchet sure not made clic when lift up)

20. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

i made another tensioner, i mount it on a bearing this time for a better tension accuracy.

[​IMG]