MP99 vs AT800 OF vs Gosen 5300

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Ch0p5t1ckB01, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Ch0p5t1ckB01

Ch0p5t1ckB01 New Member

I'm planning to get a new racquet... I'm currently playing with an Acepower Ti something... can't remember... I don't have it with me right now... apparently its a sister company of ProAce... not sure... but anywho... i've narrowed down the 3 choices to MP99, AT800 OF, Gosen 5300... based on the reviews on this forum... it is very hard to choose between the MP99 and AT 800 OF... but theres no review for the Gosen 5300 and I was quite disappointed... So my questions is... which one of the 3 I've mentioned is best suited for back, mixed doubles? Pros and Cons would help :) ... someone plz tell me something about the Gosen 5300...

2. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i prefer the mp99 over all of those racquets, but tats in my opinion. I don't thikn you can really go wrong with the mp99

3. wawan

wawan Regular Member

dude...
    I do believe that the best way to decide is to try play with them for a while..
    even millions of reviews saying that its the best racquet around..if you yourself feel that it just not suit you in whatever ways....you will definitely say no to it....

as example my brother....
    even how good people been talking about Ti-10...when he borrowed from my friend and used it for few months...he found that...its just not for him...for no reason...your "feels" or "senses" will tell....
    the same thing happen to MP99...the 3U version he used for few months later after trying the Ti-10...also tells him that it didn't suit him...

my best advice is to try first on your own....
    borrow from someone...try for few games...and your "feels" will tell you which is which.....

p/s: luckily...he nearly bought MP99 when my neighbour asked him to try his racquet 1st before deciding to buy it....so lucky....

#3 wawan, Mar 20, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  4. tifam

tifam Regular Member

Sure, I perfectly agree to wawan's opinions. and I have ever been in a same situation as his/her brother:) .From advice of a former of VNmese Badminton National Team (and also of my badminton-mates), I bought and tried the Ti10 3U on 6 months.Not succeed in doing it! Became discouraged, I tried a MP99 3U on 4 months and got the same consequence! Came back to my Gosen 5300, I consoled myself that both Ti10 and MP99 were not made for everyone.Both them are reserved for anyone who are able to master them. With two kick-points on the shaft and the oval head, Gosen 5300 can help me to increase supremacy power on smash, clear or drive. Its sound "bang" seems crispy and its even balance help me to swing easily in defence.Its cost is cheaper than the Ti10, MP99 and AT 800.
    I have just bought a new CAB 30 MS. It can give me the "feeling" like a Ti10-oval-head . I continue to notice about the really sensation from its long cone (so that, the shaft becomes shorter than Ti10). However, I also feel at ease with it .

5. smash007

smash007 Regular Member

A month ago I was pretty much like you. I narrowed down to MP99, AT800 and Cab 30MS. Since I can get a very cheap price of the MP99. I had decided to buy MP99 mainly because of the look and price, of course I am aware of all the good review of MP99.
    I must have to say this is a awesome racket. I am not a advance player. But, I was able to playing smash and drawing people attention from other courts with the "bang". I actually hate my MP99 several weeks ago. I can't get used to it, my play was messed up totally. Now, I have managed my smash. I am still working on my net play. I highly recommend you take a look and hopefully you can hand on experience before your final decision.

6. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    back mixed doubles......i'd have to go with at700 or at800 DEF for this one. though i prefer the at800 OFF, most people say that it is made for offense and only for offense. the DEF however is a well-around racket for doubles style play and it is easy to defend with it.
    i suggest that if u and ur mixed partner dont side when u lift, u should get a DEF so u can move ur arm more quickly around the court.
    if you do side then the OFF would be effective as u would already have a defensive strategy so a good offense would improve ur games.
    at700 i've heard people say that its good for defense(i'm not so sure) but it is definately very effective for smashing and offensive lobs. if u force a lift from ur opponent, a perfect smash from the at700 will immediately end the rally.

7. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    I like Ti-10 the best. MP99 is good too. Never played AT-800. I think you should borrow the ones you are interested in first and see how they feel. Because as people have mentioned, not every racquet is suitable for you.

8. Pre-emptive

Pre-emptive Regular Member

Hi Chop, it is difficult to give you suggestions without having more information from you. Do you have friends who own any of those racket for you to try out? Did you try out any other rackets and what did you like and dislike about them? What is your level and style? It is not a good idea to buy a racket based on reviews unless you are a racket collector.

9. wawan

wawan Regular Member

true...
    talking about racket collector....
    I have a friend who don't bother to spend money on buyin good racquet based on reviews....

he owned MP99...MP77...Iso TI....AT800...Cab 21SP...Gavun 5300...Cab 30 MS....and the rest of those best reviewed in the net...
    but finally...the one that really suits him is Cab 21SP....the rest just keep as colection...and not well suited with his skills....
    to me..this is not right...
    but well...his money...his interest...

10. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

I think the MP99 is a better racket (yes, thats the racket that I use, except i have the japanese version MP90) and I think its a versatile racket. The gosen has a whippy shaft because of its technology and I find the ATs too stiff. Thats just my own opinion though... The best way to know which suits you best is to try them out :D

11. roquejo

roquejo Regular Member

Excellent observation regarding the AT800DE and OF. I'm currenly using both. And I totally agree with you. :)

I only tried the AT700 once and I can say that it is designed for singles as yonex claims. It's more head heavy or packs a lot of smash power than the OF and but is less maneuverable.

But as for defense, AT800DE is way better than AT700 because of its speed but its smash is the weakest compared to the OF and 700. Nevertheless, it still gives a decent smash.

MP99 is even balanced. I can say this is one racket almost everyone finds easy to adapt to compared to other yonex rackets. With the DE coming in a close 2nd.

12. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    I played with all the racket below n i found:

AT700: very solid smash and feels perfect power transfer with bg80.

AT800DE: dont feel as solid as AT700 when smashing but better racket head speed.

AT800OF: solid smash balance but AT700 still better.

MP99: best of everything =)