New discipline: Tag-team singles

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by marshall, Sep 21, 2001.

1. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    A solution for people who want to play singles when all courts are taken and everyone says "Play doubles when the courts are busy":
    Four players, two per side. Only one player from each side is on the court at any time, playing normal singles. Each player's partner is in reserve on the sidelines.
    If player on court gets tired, he/she can tag partner by touching hands. Partner then gets on court and continues the rally.
    1. Partners can be tagged only when they are on the sidelines, not the backline.
    2. Partners are not allowed on the court until tagged, but may extend their arms over the line to make tagging easier.
    3. Partners may pass in back of court to take position on other sideline (left to right, or right to left) but may not be tagged on the backline.

I got this idea from watching professional wrestling here in the U.S. What do you think, should I notify the IBF? :))

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't know.... here is what singles is about:

Skills, Strategy, Speed, and Stamina.

and if you think hard about it, they are not orthogonal, in fact, they are quite closed tied together.

i haven't been too keen a singles player, but i have been playing more recently, if your opponent is good, you need to have all 4 of the above to win. if you lack just one of them, you lose.

and if you think even harder, when playing against a similar opponent, you need to look at his S's above. if you noticed he is weaker in any one of them, that will be the part you should be focusing on.

and OMG, i don't believe you watch pro wrestling...

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    questions: does tagging only allowed during rallys? or between points?

the way i does it is get a group of about 4 players, 2 of them start playing on the 4 point system, loser step out, winner remain, under of course the winner get tire then he'll become loser fast

4. Johno

Johno Guest

i think it's a cool idea, but more so for fun reasons of badminton, maybe not at the more serious side of the game, it would be good for a young kids coaching session because it is a adaption of the sport ( whivh is always good when coaching ) and it has a fun side to it, so it would be good for the end of a session.

The only problem with it would be if other oppenents/rival interfered and wiped everyone out with steal chairs, but thats a risk you would have to take

5. May

May Guest

used to play it this way, the only bad thing abt tt is how do u choose who's gonna play next?

6. marshall

marshall Regular Member

No, I don't watch pro wrestling, but a guy at work who does has told me that nobody who's a hard-core fan really believes it's real anymore. They just like the show. I feel better about it now, because the people who believed in it were a little scary.
    Your point about the 4 S's is a good one. I played a tournament yesterday and in one singles match my opponent had better skills. I could have compensated somewhat by strategy, but I didn't get organized until too late.

BTW, I did find a good breakfast for tournament day: Lean beef steak cooked rare, lots of brown rice, and large serving of steamed baby bok choy. Banana for dessert. I ate at 6:00 am, began practice/warmup at 9:00, started play at 10:00, and finished about 2:30 pm (4 singles matches, 3 doubles). Then I played for fun until about 3:30 and took over for a friend who was running the scheduling of matches. Additional food after breakfast, 2 peanut butter sandwiches on whole wheat, 6 granola bars, 2 bananas.
    I would have won the gold for smelliest badminton shirt since I forgot to change during the day, if tournament organizers had awarded such a medal.

7. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

We have an award

For shortest shorts. For men the prize is a pair of really long shorts, for women, it's a bottle of sun screen ... I think we got that right ;)

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting. the two weekends before, on saturday evening, i had a big piece of steak for dinner, and the day after, i suddenly got some magical power. all my shots were very sharp, accurate, my head was especially clear, i can read all my opponent's shots. i have been beating all my friends in the gym.

both time, i played for more than 4 hours non-stop, i never sat down for even a game, i played singles, doubles, mixed. and i won all. and i didn't even feel that tired, while they are all lying on the ground.

but this weekend, i didn't have steak, and i only managed to scrape in a few winning matches.

i wonder if that is just coincidence..

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

the beef you ate must have been Alberta Beef variety. :)

10. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Maybe we could qualify for a government research grant on "The Effects of Red-Meat Protein Loading on Athletic Performance: a Proof of Concept Investigation." This would be a long and difficult project, requiring the consumption of ribeyes, filet mignons, and t-bones, with variable sources including grain-fed beef, grass-fed beef, venison (both wild and farm raised), and buffalo.

One thing for sure, no one would ever call this a porkbarrel project [I apologize, but I could not resist] :))

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

marshall, i enjoy reading that proposal. Let me say i a willing volunteer for this research project. When i take my field staff out for lunch or supper, all they want are steak dinner or steak sandwich, alway. No 'bones' about it either.