South Maine/New Hampshire

Discussion in 'USA East' started by ToyotaLexus, Mar 21, 2005.

1. ToyotaLexus

ToyotaLexus New Member

Hi,
    A intermediate player in York County, Maine is looking for places to play badminton in Spring/Summer/Fall. Does anyone know where I can play between Portsmouth NH and Portland ME along I-95/US-1 ?
    Thanks you in advance,

2. ToyotaLexus

ToyotaLexus New Member

How many neighbours are looking for the same?

Up today, there seems to be no one knows the badminton clubs in the area.

Now I want to know if anyone else is looking for the clubs or playmates in my neighbourhood. I want to play with you if we(four or more) can get together someday and rent a gym. Or I'm OK to play it outdoor using toy badminton kit(poles, net for outdoor) which I bought at the cost of 5 bucks. I'm not a serious competition player anymore but love to play it occationally.:)

3. ToyotaLexus

ToyotaLexus New Member

Portland, ME

Finally, found the place at YMCA Greater Portland, ME where they play Tuesday night and Sunday morning, only one court now. they were sharing the arena with Table Tennis. When I checked on Tuesday, only 5 men and 2 women were playing. One said that in near future it will open on Thursday night , too.

4. vpadukone

vpadukone New Member

5. ToyotaLexus

ToyotaLexus New Member

Greater Portland YMCA, ME

We are playing twice a week(Tue/Thr) until end of October. From Nov, we can play only on Tuesday night(6-8:45 PM) sharing arena with Table Tennis. A few members play both Badminton and Table Tennis. Only one court available but enough for us. New members are always welcome.:)

6. ToyotaLexus

ToyotaLexus New Member

2006 Summer schedule @YMCA Portland, ME

:mad: As a few of our members have moved out of Maine, our new season started with just 3 players last Sunday. Our new badminton hours are as follows;

Sunday : 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM
    Tuesday: 5:30 PM - 8:30 PM

You must be a member of YMCA and we need to reserve a court beforehand, otherwise kids may play basketball at the time. For details, please contact

YMCA Greater Portland, ME
    TEL: 207-874-1111

We need more regular players, or YMCA may cancell the badminton hours. Please join us.;)

7. arinrb

arinrb Regular Member

Where Can I Get a Racquet Strung in the Greater Portland Area

I know this is off topic but :rolleyes: I wanted to know if any of you know where I can get a racquet strung in the Greater Portland Area. On topic do you know if the YMCA has a day rate because I do not want to spend 100 some odd dollars to come in a for a few games of badminton.

Thanks and sorry for getting off topic

8. ToyotaLexus

ToyotaLexus New Member

Badminton @Portland, Maine

arinrb,

Thank you for your interests in our club. Your inquiries both on/off topic are very welcome.

First of all, please note our revised summer badminton schedule.

Tue : 5:45 - 7:45 PM (badminton/table tennis)
    Sun : 10:00 AM -Noon
    These schedules can be changed/cancelled very often. Please reconfirm to YMCA before your visit. YMCA web site: http://www.cumberlandcountyymca.org/home.htm
    (Choose tab for Greater Portland branch.)

As for getting racquet strung, I don't think there is a shop in Portland, ME which does for badminton raquet. I had my racquet restrung a year ago by a member of YMCA here who used to play badminton and now plays racquet ball. Also one of our current members may do it for you if you can wait for a week or two. But I haven't had it done by him. I even don't know if he has a string machine or he does without it. I am planning to get my raquets restrung when I go to tournament in MA this month. I hope there will be restringing service staffs at the competition.

One day guest pass of YMCA Portland costs 10 dollars, I suppose. If you are a member of other Y, it costs 2 dollars. Free to play but bring your raquet and shuttlecocks.

Hope the above helps.
    Regards,

9. jono88

jono88 Regular Member

Is this the only club in Portland and is it still active???

10. ToyotaLexus

ToyotaLexus New Member

Not available for badminton @YMCA in Portland, Maine

Jono88,

A few years ago the YMCA Greater Portland stopped badminton hours and moved badminton poles@net out of the facility. Since then I am playing at University New Hampshire every Friday night by driving for an hour. And some of my badminton friends in Portland had moved out of Maine, etc ... so there is no place to play badminton in Portland now. :(
    From downtown Portland it takes 1.5 hours to drive to UNH.

11. yaovc199

yaovc199 New Member

play at UNH

I think you can play at UNH on Fridays. We usually play badminton at 6:00PM at the top floor of the UNH GYM. If you want to know more detailed information, please send me a message.

12. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I'm going to be in Portland in the summer, any updates on badminton in the area?

13. ToyotaLexus

ToyotaLexus New Member

14. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

Please come join us in Durham, NH, which is about 1 hour drive from Portland. we play every Friday nights, and often time Tuesday nights, from 6pm to close.

we play at the Hamel Recreation center, and here is a link: http://campusrec.unh.edu/index.cfm?id=64C8C794-ED83-80C2-3F28C4948EAF856C.

If you can, please PM me, and I can put you in our email list.

Dun.