serious mentality problem

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by wing-omega5-0, Mar 21, 2005.

1. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    when i'm playing a specific player.......i tend to always make mistakes against him.
    1) playing mixed with him at a tournament last month we lost 15-1 and 15-8 because of my ugly mistakes.
    2) all 3 times i played doubles against him i make the most retarded mistakes. when i flick serve, i know they're gonna drop but i side anyways and my partner has to run for it and lift. it continues as when they mess up on their smash, i snap at the shot anyways and end up losing the rally because i panic on that miscalculation of speed.
    3) today playing doubles, we shouldve won the game or at least brought it to a set but my feet werent moving back for his flick serves, i wasnt moving properly, all kills were inaccurate, my best shots were out 7/8 of the time.
    i'm not sure wut my problem is but hes the best in his league and when i observe him play i know how good he is. the thing is i play with people such as my coach and my skool senior team and most of them say that i can beat them. however, when i actually get into a game with him i start making the same mistakes over and over. do u think i'm nervous while playing? accident-prone or does he have a freaky ability to screw his opponents up? when i was watching him today i noticed that he wasnt as good as he used to be and we shouldve won that doubles game if it wasnt for me. anyone think they can point out my problem?

2. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

Hmm...I used to have a major mental problem against players that I seem to never be able to beat. However, even though I'm sure many people have told u this, try to imagine you are playign someone brand new and don't concentrait on who ur playing, but how your playing. Observe him as a brand new opponent. Don't worry, even professionals have this problem I;m sure (WCH vs Xia :p)

3. gkwok

gkwok Regular Member

Project Manager
    Perhaps your putting too much stress on yourself during the match, or against this player.

I usually

1. clear my mind, and relax
    2. let my training take over
    3. stay focus and do my best to win one point at a time.

I find that if made a mistake during the game, I think positively, How could I have returned the shot in a better way. (more or less power, smash vs drop, birdie placement etc...) I quickly go over it in your mind...and make note...for the next time to execute that shot, I sometimes even go thru the motion again right there for failed shots.

hope that helps.

4. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Is it really that easy to relax?

I guess I have these problems too.....

I just told myself to relax, but once I relax, I lost a point in a snap and I started worrying again.:crying:

5. gkwok

gkwok Regular Member

Project Manager
    relax

I might be a little weird then.

I play with all my heart in almost every game and take every game seriously, during practise, casual or in a tournament. (no matter who the opponents were)

I almost treat these games as the winning match to a tournament.

Yes, I would be a bit more anxious before a tournament game, but once on the court, it was just another game.

If you haven't, try playing every game with that mentality.

It also helps having a great partner to encourage you on court and keep you on track.

6. kwansyip

kwansyip Regular Member

relax, don't worry too much .... try to get to the bird as fast as possible once he hits it ... but not before he hits it ... just concentrate look at the player, his position when you return the shot, try to find his weakness if there's any. Do something simple and be patient, do not make any stupid mistake before he does and wait for the chance to come... :rolleyes:

usually that's how i face it ... just try ur best ...
    learn from losing and try to improve ... ;)

7. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    It's easy to say relax but when it comes to an important game. ... Againest someone you CANNOT beat even if your life is depended on it, then ... It's hard to calm down.

Everyshot you make will be countered by a strong return and you will feel underpressured lol:crying:

8. christoffer

christoffer Regular Member

Trainer
    Hi!
    I'm been through the same problem against my coach...
    My advice is to simply drink a lot of water <= helps you to stay focused.
    The most important thing is to concentrate on your own game and take one point at the time. -Trust your self, and when you fail to win the point, take 2 seconds and clear your find for the next point.
    Whenever I'm playing a important match I start to warm-up 1 to an ½hour before and isolate my self from others. (often do this by listening to music) that I can mentally "charge" for the game.

The rest is done i my daily training-sessions! practice well and your game as your selfconfidiens improves!

Kindly Regars
    Christoffer, Denmark

9. gkwok

gkwok Regular Member

Project Manager
    Knowing yourself

I once played a player in the Etobicoke Singles finals, who ranked 2nd in Ontario. I knew it was going to be a tough game especially after a 2 to 3 hr game against another great player. I still remember playing 1/2 hr for the just the winning pt. I was exhausted.

When it came time for me to play against him (2nd ranked player), I knew I had a tough chance of winning him, even if I started fresh.

I played the game like any other game. Gave it my all...but at the sametime, after a few points I realized, we were indeed at different skill levels. Even though I wanted to win very much, I accepted that my opponent was a better player.

I still remember those two games, and found it a previlege to have played against them, and learned much from those games.

Although having a strong desire to win is good, I think it should not blind you or give you undue pressure that would affect your play, or your enjoyment for the game.

Just my thoughts.

10. mgsmith1

mgsmith1 Regular Member

I have EXACTLY the same experience when I play players I know to be better than me. :eek: It's partly knowing they are better, just psychological. But part of it, at least, is also reality: because they are better, they can choose from more possible responses. So I'm more indecisive at least partly because I have to be better prepared for the alternative responses they could choose, while a weaker player would have fewer choices or at least give me more warning of which choice they are making. I am more critical of my mistakes, hence more tense, because I want to win or at least make a good showing. And I am more prone to let my mistakes bother me :mad: because they somehow 'count' more against the better opponent.

Wish I had great suggestions, but in the hope that misery enjoys a little company: You are NOT alone!

good luck

11. charliety

charliety Regular Member

just ignore the opponent, i think that you should just calm down and just treat each point as a seperate 1. relax and become a pool of tranquility or become very mad and immerse yourself in adreniline and play like your life depends on it

12. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

Warm up longer than usual, perhaps also do the footwork, drills until you're sweating all over before you play the actual game with/against him. This may help you to get over the nervousness and play your game better. Good luck.:)