spin drop vs normal drop

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by checkthemc, Mar 22, 2005.

1. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    Anyone tell me which is better and why? If theres no distinct answer, a debate would be nice:). Perhaps they should be used differently? When I spin drop, people say its very easy to read, but its extremely tight to the net. When I normal drop, its slightly faster and trickier (It looks like a smash) but its not very tight to the net. Is it a problem with consistency also?

Someone help me with this question also. When I do a straight slice drop, I slice it parallel to the net. When I do a cross court drop, I slice it parallel to where I plan it to go. Is this right? It seems there is no deception if I do this, unless I swing so fast that they have very little time to react to the slice drop. Comments are most appreciated:)

2. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...i personally prefer to slice the bird when i drop mainly cause it find it more consistent and closer to the net...when i try to drop normally, it's usually not as consistent and either ends up very far or in the net...i don't know if my preference to slice has anything to do with me being a lefty or stuff about the birdie's spin when i slice it...but i'll sometimes try to use normal drops cause they're easier to place for me...unless i think about it...i usually end up dropping normally cause i might catch myself getting ready to clear and just drop it normally instead of slicing if i'm a little "slow"...:p

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    With a feather shuttle, a lefty slice tends to spin faster than the normal right-handed slice. A lefty can often make the shuttle spin more dramatically than the regular cut drop performed by a righty. This is due to shuttle construction... the feathers overlap in a certain manner & this accounts for the difference.

Actually when a right-hander hit a reverse cut (usually when hitting an 'round-the-head crosscourt drop), they would also impart a 'lefty spin' on the shuttle.

The best sliced drops not only cut across the cork of the shuttle, they also contact & cut across the tips of the feathers. Done properly, this will tend to fray the tips of the feathers somewhat (without breaking them). The normal righty slice goes in the same direction as the overlap of the feathers. The regular lefty slice, on the other hand, goes against the grain... in the opposite direction of the feather overlap. My guess is that this 'grabs' the shuttle more to allow greater spin.