Kim Dong Moon rumors.

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by kwun, Mar 23, 2005.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i read in some Chinese media (ie. take it with a grain of salt) that Kim is currently studying in the US. does anyone know more about this? can anyone confirm or deny?

2. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Tony Gunawan also came to US to study and turned out to be playing for the US team. Vow, are we expecting a MD team of Tony Gunawan and Kim Dong Moon? Probably one of the best ever. :)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    gunawan and heryanto is a proven MD pair already ;)

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Kim/Tony, are you talking of a DREAM TEAM there!?! :cool:
    Who could beat such a pair, that would be unfair to their opponents! :p

5. Shuttlebugs

Shuttlebugs Regular Member

We are not just talking about a Dream Team. We are talking about a team of two Legends.

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I Think if he went to USA he would probably not want to play badminton. He has his friend Ha to play with if he stays in Korea, and would be retiring due to age after not too long.

There are lots of differences between Tonys move and Kims "Rumour"

I heard from a friend that part of the reason Kim still plays in National team, but not tournaments is that he was tired of the pressure to win. He said that when other great players lose, it is normal, but when he loses it is big news all over the world.

I concur with this, and his reasons to study more too. If you look at the last two matches he struggled with (losing to JR in OG, and taken to three by Zhang/Gao in some open a bit ago.) he looked almost ill, with his eyes looking black/purple around them. I saw the match (OG) and could tell he was not right. Feel sorry if this is reason.

7. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

Toni Gunawan and Bang Soo Hyun are the US coaches, Kim Dong Moon would be more than welcome to join as well :D

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

do u know that what and how to make a strong double team :confused:

9. economet

economet Regular Member

Kim Dongmoon is definitely in Korea. He was in Suwon on 23rd March to prolong his contract with Samsung he plays for. The rumour above could be right in half a year or later if he will have finished his doctoral thesis. He always announced his intention to work as a research fellow abroad. The place could be US or any other country appropriate to his research purpose.

Maybe you Guys have got some research proposals Kim DM can't resist.
    Last months he was involved in the training of his former university's team to which "Lee Jaejin", the new hope of Korean MD, also belongs.

But I guess that it will never happen that Kim DM will play for another country than Korea as Park Joobong who had the opportunity, but denied.
    For his Olympic gold medals he receives from the Korean Sports Association several thousands dollars each month in addition to his salary from Samsung which exceeds our ordinary imagination. Income from advertising is still unknown. There's no other place to get more money than Korea.

Ha Taekwon bought an appartment after Olympic Games which is worth several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Kim DM is supposed to have earned much more than his partner Ha.

10. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    All this makes sense economet, thanks for clarifying this rumour! :)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Badminton Star Kim Dong-moon Returns to Korea

OCTOBER 04, 2007 07:56

Kim Dong-moon (photo), Korea’s top badminton star, temporarily came back to Korea a year after he left for Canada to study.

Kim left for Calgary, Canada early last year and returned to Korea last September for a short time to participate in Korea’s national sports competition. He arrived again in Korea last week and is scheduled to go back to Canada on October 18.

While in Korea, he will participate in a signing event held by the sports equipment company Yonex, his sponsor, and will attend the national sports competition in Gwangju.

Kim earned his doctoral degree from Wonkwang University and is preparing for post-doc work while studying English in University of Calgary. He said, “I’m happy to see my fellow badminton players again.”

Kim is also taking the lead in promoting badminton in Canada where the sport is not popular. He said, “I’m working as a coach at a local badminton club. It is a new sport in Canada and many people are taking interest. I can improve my English as well by teaching them as well as by studying at school.”

His wife, former badminton star Nah Kyung-min, who gave birth to a son in June, is staying in Canada. Having his first baby two years after his wedding, Kim named his son “Hanul.”

Kim and Nah won two gold medals in Olympics, setting a record of 70 consecutive wins in mixed doubles play match in international competitions, and 14 consecutive wins total in international events. He is willing to let his son play the same sport if he wants to.

“Prior to the Beijing Olympics, I want to come to Korea, and if there is any way I can help team Korea, I will. I think my experience and advice could help.”

Attached Files:

• kdm.jpg
      kdm.jpg
      File size:
      39.9 KB
      Views:
  12. staples

staples Regular Member

It's Ra not Nah! :)

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It will be a big boost for Team Korea if he is coming back to enhance the setup for the men's doubles. Since Ha Tae Kwon is helping out as a coaching staff in the team... both of them can also serve as inspiration to the younger players.

14. event

event Regular Member

It's pronounced "Nah" though, and all the Lee's on the Korean team are actually pronounced "Ee". It's complicated.

The translation missed some meanings, too, not just accepted English spellings. You'll be happy to know that the original Korean version, of which this is just a translation, does not claim that "Ra" won two Olympic golds. It actually says something like "two-time Olympic gold-medallist Kim, with Ra, won 70 straight matches and 14 straight international tournaments..."

The error on Han-wool's birth is also the translator's. The original states correctly that he was born in July.

#14 event, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    On sheer past achievements, look at a formidable dream team...but long layoff, never pair together before unlike Chandra/Tony who played and understand each other very well and age factor, I am not too sure...but fun to muse about.;)

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What does Kim Dong Moon do now? I saw an old match of his. Those early 2000’s mens doubles matches were so good.

17. ChocoChipWaffle

ChocoChipWaffle Regular Member

He's a professor who teaches in his hometown university

Woesi and Cheung like this.