Changing grip tape...too often?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by GiGaChip, Mar 23, 2005.

1. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

I recently changed my grip tape about a week ago, but for some odd reason the grip tape seems dull already, and those rough spots are already beginning to show. I've never had this problem before, but for some reason, I have to change my grip pretty often, like once every two weeks. I use the Yonex Super Graps, and I have badminton practice everyday for about 3 hours, and I'm usually practicing three hours straight, without resting my racquet. Do you all think this has something to do with my technique? This week has been pretty bad, none of my smashes are as hard as they use to be, and I haven't been hitting the sweet spot as often as I do. I don't know if this is contributing to the dull grip tape in less than 2 weeks, but what do you all think? Thanks.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I don't think changing grips often would be a problem, except to your wallet. I actually find changing them often actually helps to keep my grip firm and proper. Once it becomes dull, it becomes hard to do it right. As for speedy dullness, maybe your palm perspiration is high?

With 3 hours per day training, I can probably assume that it will definitely wear the grip out faster. For me, playing once a week for two hours, is already enough to dull the grip in 2 - 3 months and my palm doesn't perspire much.

Why not try another brand and see if it comes out the same? If it does, then maybe the problem would have nothing to do with the equipment. Karakal PU Super is one of the most popular brands here in BC, I use it myself and only that.

3. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

choosing different colors of yonex super graps might be the reason... there is a difference between the colors in terms of feeling and durability imo, if u chose white b4, and then changed to black or something, the change would be HUGE (at least for me..:D )

4. GiGaChip

GiGaChip Regular Member

well i use to use a black grip, but now I use a teal colored one. But I will have to change my grip AGAIN to a blue colored one. I think I do perspire a lot, although I don't have that condition with excessive sweaty palms.

5. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

You might be unnecessarily holding the grip too tightly. You only need to grip firmly at the end of a power stroke(clear or smash); don't grip it tightly at the beginning of the stroke.

Also, the overgrip might last longer if you wrap it that tightly around the original grip.

And of course, you can try other brands of overgrips.

You can also get a wrist band to wipe off excess sweat as well.

6. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

From my experience, the Yonex super grap are among the least durable grips in the market (lose tackiness within hours); which i believe it's part of their marketing strategy - to make you keep buying. I swear by the Prince Duratac overgrip (may be discontinued though, prob cuz they can't make any money when people just buy one pack and never have to replace again! :D ), extremely durable, remains tacky for very long time! at least 20 times more durable than the Yonex super grap.

#6 jsunsun, Mar 27, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  7. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i got a question... how do you know when its time to change ur overgrip? :confused: please excuse my ignorance;)

8. taber

taber Regular Member

When its not tacky anymore.

9. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    woah:eek: isn't that like weekly, in the case of Yonex Super Graps? i tend to change my overgrip whenever i feel like the old one is getting old and dusty :p

10. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    I would say when you notice that it just doesent feel right anymore. mainly personal preference, taber said when its not tacky anymore and i can agree. personally i would change my grip every week but i just dont have that much money to go spend on grip as i use 2 super graps and well the outer one wears down so fast. on my present racquet it just does not feel tacky anymore and well its starting to break apart i really have to change the grip, but i say change it when there are noticable signs of wear on it.

11. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    yea i wish i had that much $$ to spend on grips too :rolleyes: 52 weeks/yr=52grips=18x 3 pc. packs per year = ~NT$2000/yr in taiwan (roughly CAD$80)= half a racket :eek: thats a lot of money

another thing i also wish to find out.. i never tried towel grips.. but how do you know if your towel grip needs changing? it doesn't have any tackiness to begin with :p

also while we're on the topic of grips.. im pretty sure there were pictures on Kwun's article about how to put on overgrip.. but i dont see them any more... could be a mistake? i want to look at those pictures again :crying:

12. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    oh well one of my friends put a towel grip his mp-99 just to try it out and well the 1st thing that comes to mind of when to change it is when it starts to smell or develope mold on it or when you just dont want to touch it anymore. another thing is probally when the fibers start to come off. hum regarding the pictures i dont know what happened to them, i reacll they use to be under the equipment section in articles but its not there anymore hum weird.

13. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    eek that would take somethin like 2 hours of play and sitting overnight :( stupid sweaty hands

14. taber

taber Regular Member

I change my grip every week.
    I use towel BTW.

When it becomes hard, and starts to smell.

15. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    oh.. something else i need opinions on.. do you guys think Yonex towel grip lasts longer, or the Yonex super graps?

16. taber

taber Regular Member

I am not using Yonex towel grip, but I think they last about the same amount of time. Depends on how sweaty your hands are.

17. tifam

tifam Regular Member

I'm using Yonex towel grip & Prince grip enhanced ( a fast dried pomade with good smell for anti-slippery). Changing grip every week, I feel all things are comfortable!

18. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I agree with the change when "it just doesn't feel right". Keep in mind that not all grips are meant to be tacky, though, obviously. If it doesn't feel nice for you, and it did, then it's time to change. There's no standard, it's all personal preference.

As far as something being changed 'too often' this is again a question of personal preference, mostly from the point of view of your wallet :rolleyes:

But just to emphasize on someone else's point, perhaps it's the way you're gripping your racket and how much sweat you have in your hands.

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    When i'm using yonex towel grips and play badminton 3 times a week for 4hrs each session , i do change it like every 2 to 3 weeks. SO i guess its normal to change grip often since you play so much 3hrs everyday.. :)

20. markburry_90

markburry_90 Regular Member

I use supergrap also, you know, you can flip it over and use the other side when it wears out. it is like brand new on the other side. (The inside out)