need mixed double advice

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by floriina, Mar 24, 2005.

1. floriina

floriina Regular Member

hey everyone. my name is alexandra and i am 14 years old. i've been playing badminton for about five months now, at leats two hours everyday. i'm in grade eight and i made my school's team. i played mixed doubles. i have a tournament coming up this tuesday, and i need some advice on some things.

1) everytime someone smashes the shuttle at me, i always, and i mean always scream. my badminton coach has told me before that i have to stop screaming. he even wanted to duct tape my mouth shut. he always tells me to put my racket right in front of me when someone smashes it at me, but i NEVER have enough time. i have brusies all over me from shuttles getting smashed at me.

2) for about two weeks now, my hands have been shaking everytime i serve. i don't know what's going on. i'm pretty sure it's not because i'm nervous, because my serves are okay and they're usually low. and lately i've been messing up because of this, the shuttle just literally drops out of my hand when i try to serve it, they're shaking that bad.

i also have a question: should i always serve deep and high to the girl, because that's what my coach told me, but i don't think that's always the best thing to do, because some girls always have time to run back after reutrning a deep serve?

also, i have easter break now for four days, and i need to keep my traning up, so do you have any idead what i could work on, and what exercies i could do besides jogging and running?

thanks.

#1 floriina, Mar 24, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  2. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

where do you stand when receiving the smash?

3. floriina

floriina Regular Member

in the front, usually.

4. floriina

floriina Regular Member

one more thing: whenever the shuttle goes to my partner in the back, i always tend to look back. it's a really bad habit, and i know it's not right. any idea how to stopi it?

5. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

do you step away from the shuttle if you see your opponent has an opportunity to smash?

6. floriina

floriina Regular Member

nope. my coach always tells me to put my racket right in front, so they cannot smash it at me, but the smashes always come at me so fast, that i never have enough time.

7. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

so you just stand still?

8. floriina

floriina Regular Member

nope, i try to move my racket in front of me, but i never do it fast enough. sometimes i even turn around and cover myself with my hands.

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

2) for about two weeks now, my hands have been shaking everytime i serve. i don't know what's going on. i'm pretty sure it's not because i'm nervous, because my serves are okay and they're usually low. and lately i've been messing up because of this, the shuttle just literally drops out of my hand when i try to serve it, they're shaking that bad.

i also have a question: should i always serve deep and high to the girl, because that's what my coach told me, but i don't think that's always the best thing to do, because some girls always have time to run back after reutrning a deep serve?

also, i have easter break now for four days, and i need to keep my traning up, so do you have any idead what i could work on, and what exercies i could do besides jogging and running?

thanks.[/QUOTE]
    1) there is nothing in the rule book that you can not scream before you get nailed. It just look bad on you. It might bother other players in other courts during the tournament. I will suggest you to keep the racquet in front at all time to solve the problem. Just make it a habit to do that after every shot. It is easier to defend shot that way.

2) Are you eating enough lunch? Try to relax your body and take a deep breath before you get into position. Then hold your breath before you serve. It works like a firing a gun (a lot of people never fire one before) .

3) Mix it up a little to keep your opponents guessing.

Have fun and do your homework first after practice...

10. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

ask your coach that he explains you how to turn on a badminton field, i think thats your problem.

11. floriina

floriina Regular Member

1) i know that, but it gives away that i'm afraid of the shuttle being smashed at me, and that way, my oponent will find my weakness. that's what i'm most worried about.

2) eeep, i don't eat luch or breakfast, but i never thought that could make me shake or anything like that.

3) yeah, that's what i was thinking to, that way they'll never know where you're going to serve next.

12. floriina

floriina Regular Member

alright, thanks. i'll make sure to ask him that tuesday morning, since it's our last practice before tournament.

13. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I'm curious. Why don't you ask your coach to drill-smash at 50% power at you, and you practise receiving the smash by:
    1. keeping your racket up, or
    2. block the smash, or
    3. scream louder?

-dave

14. floriina

floriina Regular Member

he has asked players in grade nine, especially this one guy who is like six feet tall to smash it down at me eveytime he has the chance, and i just kept screaming everytime. it's not like i haven't tried to put my racket up, but when he smashes it, he does it with such force that it hits me in about two seconds. when i try to keep my racket up the whole time, especially when i'm in the front, i keep it right in front of my face, but sometimes he doesn't smash it down, he does a fast drop, so then i don't have enough time to move my racket in the other position. i think i have pretty low reflexes, because my partner is able to block the smashes with his racket.

15. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Maybe you can do it like this...
    First do some shadow badmin. Put yourself in the middle of the court, rise your racket and imitate smash returning (make a quick loop with you racket in front of you). Then move one step forward, jump back, get ready and again imitate smash returning. Remember to keep your racket in front of you all this time. Concentrate on that. Imagine the birdie, the smash, try to stay calm. Then make a step aside, return and again imitate smash returning... Train till you can do this automatically. Get used to all this. And you may train your footwork as well...

Then (e.g., next day) find another sparring partner (or ask coach to find one) who can smash without putting much force into it. Maybe there's smb in your gym who needs to practice his/her smashing techniqe - that could be perfect cause technique correcting does not require power at all. If you work together one or two sessions (try not to play these days - only training) you will get yourself accustomed to the smashes and drop your bad habbits very quickly, though maybe not to this Tuesday...

16. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm. If someone is aiming for your face... DUCK REAL LOW. REALLY LOW BEHIND THE NET... I know it sounds cheezy, but if they aim for your face high % of chances they'd hit the net instead of your face ;). Well it works in school against smash crazy nitwits......

If not, just stay calm and follow body movement... chances are if you do so you'll anticipate the smash easily.... Oh yea keep the racquet up... easier for you to return the shuttle that way....

And for serving against a girl... mmmm aim for the backhand... and play it short short short short short (5x then make a LONG one) lol. Try it, it's fun to see net campers slip :p

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    About receiving smash.

Yeah, I agree with Fend. If you stay at the net, you must crouch. Make sure your face is below the level of the net.

Another basic instinct you must develop is to recognise when the opponent is likely to smash. I think you are screaming because all you see is suddenly a shuttle zooming towards you unexpectedly.

You need to try and look at the opponent when they hit an overhead stroke. If they stretch backwards to make the shot, it's unlikely to be a hard smash.

Danger signals are when the shuttle goes high and you see the opponent standing nowhere near the backline and taking the shuttle. In this situation, crouch low and hold the racquet up.
    The face of the racquet should be vertical, about the level of the net and about a foot or two in front of your body position.

Part of the problem is lack of experience playing badminton.

One excellent way to stop the opponent doing good smashes, if you have to lift the shuttle, is to make sure it goes really high and right to the back tramlines.

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Floriina,

To improve your reflex/reaction, you gotta get used to faster pacing. Drive rallies with your partner helps. Like others said before, keep your racquet up always when you're at the net. The lady player in mixed D will always be targets of hard smashes, so better to get used to it and learn to control your shots (keep'em low).

19. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    put a chair on the court where you usually stand to take the smash (cross court and a bit forward)
    sit in the chair and have a hard hitting player on your team hit smashes at you. focus on pushing the shuttle straight into the open court.

If you normally twitch and turn away in this situation, you won't be able to when you're sitting down. Might be a bit scary at first, but I promise after a short while, you'll be much more comfortable being smashed at.

Soon your scream of fear will turn to an attacking war scream. ;)

as for looking back at your partner. It's ok to take a quick glance when there is a high clear just to check his position, but NEVER EVER LOOK BACK WHILE YOUR PARTNER IS HITTING. you have no time to react and if it hits your eye, pretty good chance there will be serious damage.

20. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

when receiving smashes, you should be able to see that they opponent has an opportunity to smash before they even do it.
    slowly start stepping away from the front-center of the court, to the opposite side of the court. slightly off ot the side.
    this maximizes your distance from the smasher, giving you more time to defend yourself.
    this always gives your partner a better view of the area, so he can anticipate the smash, should it go in his direction.

keep your racquet up, but not too high. around your neck or face is good, but try not to stick it past your shoulders or over your head, as it then becomes an obstacle to your own partner, and will risk having his shots hit the backside of your racquet.

my previous partner for mixed doubles reacted similarly, until she was hit in the face with a smash, two days before a tournament.
    then she realized shuttles don't hurt as much as she originally thought it did.
    i guess it made her a little more confident, and perhaps spurred her to practice defending herself. in the end, it worked out better, and while not being 100% confident in defending smashes, she was much better than when she started off.

the nervousness you are exhibiting might just be anxiety regarding the upcoming tournament.
    just relax and play like you normally do, and do not focus too much on trying hard. it will only end up messing you up further.

take your time during services. most people i see screw up on serves because they pick up the shuttle, walk up, and serve it, without thinking and taking the time to plan and be ready to serve.
    the shuttle is in your hand. you make the call as to when you want to serve, not the opponents. (just dont' take too long, or else its illegal :rolleyes: )

eat properly before games, drink lots of fluids. that way your body is prepared.
    and just remember that if you've practiced lots, you've done as much as you can to prepare.

and the final thing is to keep in mind, the key to playing well is to have fun. :)
    i'm sure most people know, but always, do they forget it during competitions.