The Fall Of Candra/Sigit

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Byro-Nenium, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    This looks like the start of the end of the Indonesian domination in MD. Candra/Sigit fell prey to Chen/Liu. This is the 1st time they have lost to anyone with the exception of Tony/Halim. Candra/Sigit are about the strongest pair in Indonesia.

Is this a turning point?

btw, i felt that INA's domination in MD was falling in the SEA Games when Candra/Sigit lost 1 set to the Thai pair

Comments?

thanks for all replies

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What about their loss in the W/Champs?
    Asia Cup they came pretty close to losing to Zhang/Zhang.
    They dropped a set in the S/F of AE.
    They lost to Eriksen/Larsen in Thomas Cup.

I feel both Ina pairs are just not as consistent as the Chandra/Tony combo.
    It will be a headache in the next Thomas Cup, hence the experimentation with Bambang/Trikus.

Chen/Liu certainly have the ability since they started up at the beginning of the year. They've been gradually improving.

3. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    C'mon ppl, they have been playing for MAS Open, Ina Open, WGPF, Singapore Open and Sea Games consecutively (spelling?).

They are human being and everyone of us need a rest too.

4. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Hmm.... actually everyone gets their bad day, so should we make any judgement after just one defeat? well, pessimistically maybe. Anyway the chinese reports and liu/chen themselves said it was an unexpected result, and that Candra/Sigit made too many mistakes.

I think it may well be all this high expectations of them to perform that is detrimental. I'll just take it that it was an 'off' day for them. Well, we shall see.

5. yeah even ppl like park joo bong cant win all tournaments they enter. candra/sigit are the best in the world with tony/halim, but they are not gods.

6. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    I always think that 'greatness' is to be able to seize the moment and win when it really matters.

For them, I think it does not really matter here or does it ? Look at all the major tournaments like the World Championships, the World Grand Prix Finals, All-England. Have they failed to date ? Not to mention the Olympics.

I think it has to do with motivation especially after a long, long season. Just watch for them when time for the World Grand Prix Finals arrive. We'll be better able to judge them when the stakes are higher. As with all great players, they simply up the ante when the stakes are higher. As Park Joo Bong did, though he did not win everytime, he won every major title there was to win, including the inaugural Olympics. That is 'Greatness' ....

What do you guys think?

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

RIGHT.

8. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    well said gladius! well said....

i am a person who kinds of work better under pressure, so maybe they are like me? perform betterr when the stakes are higher?

but still, indonesian badminton is the best!!! AND THAT's THE BOTTOMLINE COZ I SAID IT!!!! hahaaha j/k =)

9. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Wow! Isn't that too harsh a judgment to pass? I admit I was pretty disappointed with the result as well but I suppose it's still too early to tell. Unless they consistently start losing matches from now on, I wouldn't be too quick to comment on their so-called "downfall".

10. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Cool, Gladius!

Remember tt even the 'consistent' Candra/Tony had their fair share of losses as well. Some of which I can remember:

1)99 WC - Quarter-final loss to Kim Dong Moon/Ha Tae Kwon
    2)00 Korea Open - Semi-final loss to Lee Dong Soo/Yoo Yong Sung
    3)00 All-England Open - Semi-final loss to Kim/Ha (they only gained 4 pts in the 2nd set, which was disgraceful)

When the Korean MDs dominated the circuit bwt 99-00, I thought it was all over for Candra and Tony at the Olympics. But they proved me (and everyone else who doubted them) wrong by taking the gold.

Btw, unlike RS (how on earth do you do the Modulus sign?), I'm one of those who NEVER performs under pressure which means that I'm not destined for greatness.
    =P

Sigh, school starts tomorrow.... =(

11. even if u look at hendrawan, he doesnt perform well in GP tournaments, but he has performed well in Olympics, Thomas Cup & World Champs. It seems that his focus is on this few tournaments and the ability to win them. The game he plays in these tournaments show his greatness, but u can see that he is out of form in many GP tournaments

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. that is very true. and Peter Gade seems to be the opposite. he never performs well in big tournaments, lost in Olympics, never gotten a WC. etc, etc.

in competitive road cycling, a cyclist will design his training season to coincide with the big tours. aiming to attain the peak of their form right at the time of the most important events. i wonder if similar training strategies are used in badminton.

13. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

the key with the back slash. |Adel|
    got it?

14. Blitz

Blitz Regular Member

Daydreaming
    I believe what Yudhi have say, maybe they need a rest :)

15. May

May Guest

methinks tt u r shallow. 1 loss does not mean tt everything is gone.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    free drinks??

So you are quite willing to play for drinks, meals....money...loser pays??

17. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Been There, Done that

Yup, just last sunday i think it was or saturday......

4 members of BC_Singapore including myself decided to do this for fun. |R|S paired up with Mustafa or Tony Halim to play me and Modious. It was a tough game, me and Modious won the 3rd set to gain some hard earned 100 +s! But i bet |R|S will be making more of these challenges in the upcoming week! ;)

18. Budi

Budi Guest

Re: Been There, Done that

Byro/Modious is a though pair to beat ;)
    However when they are partnering with other people, they are not as good as if they are paired.

Me and Dewa also lost last week. *sigh*
    Byro, u want to bet? Me/Dewa against Byro/Modious? With a bet probably me and dewa will play harder.. :)

19. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer

How about me partnering Mustafa, me and Schumacher or Schumacher and Mustafa ....

Oh .. come to think about that, how about throwing Sofian into the possible computations ....

Byron, Modious, you guys up to that ?

Hehe .... How about that ?

20. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad

haha........ well maybe...... see how........

See this weekend! ;)