Golden Gate Badminton Club, Menlo Park, CA

Discussion in 'Golden Gate Badminton Club ( GGBC ) (CLOSED)' started by mayst982, Mar 25, 2005.

1. mayst982

mayst982 Regular Member

Golden Gate Badminton Club (www.ggbadminton.com) will be openning its facility to the public in the very near future (latest word is mid-April 2005). It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to test out the facility prior to it being open to the public. I would categorize it as the best playing experience I have had, surpassing my experiences at other Bay Area facilities.

In summary, the gym boasts of:

§ 8 badminton courts with 35 ft high ceiling, probably the highest ceiling for a badminton club in US, and maybe the world

§ Use of the Robbins Flooring System (www.robbinsfloor.com) that is employed in the Olympic training center in Colorado, and installed by the best installer from Europe

§ An 11mm padding with High-tec polymer coating for maximum sports performance during training and competitions providing the maximum protection, shock absorption and traction available

Information on other amenities can be found in the above website.

GGBC anticipates openning in the next few weeks. More information will be provided on the website as the date of the openning gets closer.

GGBC is founded and operated by Mike Yang(cuurently rank 2nd in Men's Singles in US) and 1992 US Badminton Olympian Ben Lee.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Wow, that's 3 full-time badminton clubs which will be opening in the Bay Area in roughly the same time-ie. United BC and Smash City BC, the other two..The Southern California area has a new "competition" up north now..:).

BTW, i went to the website, and saw that the coaches will be "World Champions" player??If you don't mind, could you give any infos as who those coaches will be??..

3. monto

monto Regular Member

exciting stuff, I remember hearing Yang/Lee were working on this 1-2 years ago and looking for a site in the East Bay, so am glad to see it finally taking place :)

4. mayst982

mayst982 Regular Member

World Class Coaching at GGBC

The rumour has it that there is on-going negotiations with World Class coaches which I am not privy to. The website should contain information as they become available.

5. Hidekazu Yoshid

Hidekazu Yoshid New Member

My impression at GGBC was not just high-end in facility/courts but also
    Stuff's paersonality is so high-end.(Many thanks goes to Mike and Ben.)
    I really enjoyed Robbins Flooring System and 35ft. high ceiling. :)
    (I've never seen this excellent court in bay area.)
    I enjoyed the courts and meeting a new friends at GGBC thru. truely fun
    game.
    I will keep watching www.ggbadminton.com to keep me updated.

6. PlayerY

PlayerY New Member

I was fortunate to have played at GG. Don't know how to describe it, but from personal experience, it is one of the most high end facilities I've ever played in. 3 main points: the floor has such great impact absorption that my knees still felt comfortable after a few hours of intense playing; the high ceiling doesn't sacrifice the feel of the game like some big gyms do; and the distance between the walls and courts are at a good measurement that it contributes well to the visual experience of our games. The only bad thing is that after playing at such a high end facility, it may be hard to get used to playing in regular gyms again! :crying:

7. kevin uolkd

kevin uolkd New Member

cool gym

This is a nice gym. the floor is hella pro and the coaches in there are pro too.
    i think u guys should go check it out then u guys will know how good it is.

8. Haoooj

Haoooj New Member

190 constitution drive Menlo park, ca 94025
    I had the oppurtunity to play in this gym before it was open to the public. This gym far exceeds any other gym i experienced by far. The robbins flooring system is a very nice floor with a different feel . The 35 foot ceiling allows you to clear as high as possible too! Although the gym was not completed when i played in it just the courts alone makes this gym stand out from any other gym ive played in. Oh yeah and the coaching staff is great :rolleyes:

9. Giselle Lam

Giselle Lam Regular Member

To Mike Yang if he reads this...

A friend brought me over to "try out" at GGBC the other day and I was so surprised to see the sophistication of this club. I live in HKG and I've been to every exclusive club but this club is one of the best I've ever seen and played on. I also saw the owner there, Mike Yang play and he has one helluva game. He seems to have a vast knowledge of badminton and certainly knows exactly what to provide to his patrons. Just the wall color, lighting, floors and ceiling height is enough to entice any player. He must have done alot of research. The coolest thing is he makes his own products! His staff showed me some samples and I can't wait till he gets his stock. I wanted to buy his birdies but they were all sold out! I managed to get a racquet. Pretty darn good! Anyways, Mike you got my support and vote. You have done a superb job and if I could ask you to start taking membership cos I have a whole posse of Friends waiting to join. SO HURRY UP AND OPEN ALREADY! We're LINING up at your DOOR! With our blessings... Your Fans..

10. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

I played there a couple of times now, the floors are very professional and the place is just very spaceous. My favorite thing about the gym is like playerY says, it has a good feel to it. Some big gyms feel very uncomfortable playing in, either the sound and pop of the racquet is off or the strings may feel like they are dead, but this place has a very good feel and sound, even though it is very big. The colors add to the atmosphere because they are very easy on the eyes and make the bird very visible. I live pretty far away in Fremont but I think it is worth the drive. I also was able to test out the club equipment, and bought some GG birds and a racquet ( Rp70, the orange one), which I'm using right now.

11. julie

julie Regular Member

Are they accepting Drop-in Now?

What's the fee? I'm very tempted...

12. DMT1983

DMT1983 New Member

GGBC - Highly Recommended!

Recently visited GGBC with a friend during my trip up in San Francisco. Spacious facility and a friendly staff who are determined to help you learn.

13. MidBadder

MidBadder Regular Member

Engineer
    Is GGBC open???

Is GGBC open for play now???

14. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

no, but it will be opened soon, there is still some contruction going on. And for the price of drop in play, im not sure but i hear i will be 10 dollars which is a really good deal if u think about it because u get to play in world class courts and not to mention the comfortable atmosphere u are in...

15. JeanChristopheL

JeanChristopheL New Member

Thumbs Up!!!

I would definitely recommend GGBC as a place to play. Great facility, and sensational equipment. Recently purchased a racquet at GGBC and I'm loving the durability of it!Chris

16. xcrushed

xcrushed New Member

I LOVE badminton yet being 14 also hinders my chances of getting out and playing. I'm so excited and impatiently awaiting the Grand Opening of GGBC, it's only 10-15 mins away from my house, which will be so convenient for my parents when they take me. :) GGBC is such a cool place, the facility is HUGE:eek: , and the people there are so nice! :D

#16 xcrushed, Mar 31, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  17. Giselle Lam

Giselle Lam Regular Member

I'm Quite Far!

Oh Gosh you are so lucky cos I'm like in BERKELEY, EAST Bay!! I so envy you. I cannot believe I am going to drive hours on end ACROSS the Bay Bridge to get to GGBC and play badminton but I think it's worth it so I'm going to go for the struggle 3 times a week or more if I can help it! Sigh... My friends live up by Hillsborough and Palo Alto too. I may have to think of moving.. :crying:

18. PlayerY

PlayerY New Member

Ten dollars a person is definitely a fabulous deal. It is worth every penny of it!!!!!!!! Such a world class badminton gym is hardly available in any corner of the world. One day we can hold the World Championship, All England, or Olympics in Menlo Park. Thank you all of the staffs who have done a magnificent job in bringing badminton to another level in the bay area.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    sounds like quite a lot of people have been invited to play in GGBC long before they are ready to be opened.

i wonder if the owners will come here to tell us more about their new gym. connect with their future patrons, so to speak...

20. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    And invite you to be their resident pro ;)